Official Review: The Home, a novel by Frank R. Southers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Official Review: The Home, a novel by Frank R. Southers

Post by Julehart1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Home, a novel" by Frank R. Southers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Home by Frank R. Southers is a character-driven story about a young boy named Johnny Porter. Johnny’s father has raised him by himself since he was 3 years old. Johnny’s mother is basically not part of his life. They live in a housing project that is designed for low-income families. When the book starts, Johnny already knows that his father is dying of cancer and will have to go to a nursing home. When he is 13 years old, Johnny is forced to leave his whole life behind and move to St. Paul’s Children’s Home. The book focuses on Johnny’s life growing up in the orphanage and is told entirely from the young boy’s perspective. Johnny wants desperately to be part of a real family and to belong. Will he ever have the family he longs for, or is he destined to be an orphan forever? Find out in this heartwarming and sobering fictional tale that is based on a true story.

I really liked Johnny as a character. He had more knowledge, experience, and maturity than people usually have at his age. Despite having a very difficult life, Johnny was also very sweet and loving. He faced many challenges and went through a lot of heartaches. More than anything, Johnny wanted to be part of a family. Many times in the book, it seemed like his wish would finally come true. However, something would always go wrong. Johnny was very likable and well-developed, and it was incredibly easy to root for him and want to see him succeed.

I also enjoyed that the book was written in first person and focused solely on Johnny’s experiences. It made the book very relatable and endearing. Even though the book was written from the point of view of a 13-year-old boy, the subject matter was very serious and important. It definitely wasn’t a typical book for young adults. The author made the reader feel very connected to Johnny. There were obviously other minor characters in the book, but Johnny narrated everything. The readers always knew what he was going through and what he was feeling. This was a very realistic look into how a young boy was growing up as an orphan. I also liked that the book dealt with serious issues but had humor in it as well. The themes of loneliness and not belonging were very evident, but Johnny still had friendships, happiness, and fun in his life too.

The only negative that I could find in the book was that it occasionally moved a little slow. That was understandable because the book focused heavily on the main character. This was a story about a young boy’s life and his thoughts. It was an introspective book that wasn’t very plot-driven at all. There were also details added that could have been excluded. I felt like the book did drag at certain points and could have used a bit more action.

I’m rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. I liked Johnny a lot. He had many amazing qualities and had such a difficult life. Personally, I was rooting for him the whole time. I also enjoyed the way the author drew the readers into Johnny’s story. The choice to have the book be entirely from Johnny’s point of view was the right decision. I liked knowing what Johnny was feeling and thinking. I appreciated that the book focused on weighty issues and themes but also included lighthearted moments. The fact that the book was very professionally edited was also a plus. I’m taking a star away because the book did move slowly in certain parts and dragged in some places. I would recommend this book to teenagers and adults that like character-driven stories that deal with serious topics but still contain some humor.

The Home, a novel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I'm looking forward to read this book, thanks for your review!
Ivana Komel
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-komel.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ivana Komel »

This definitely look like a very interesting reading and it intrigues me, since it is written in first person. Thank you very much for a very informative review!
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I always enjoy a good underdog story told with some humor. I understand why you enjoyed it and rated it like that. Great review!!
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like such an emotional read; Johnny has suffered so much adversity at such a young age. Thanks for the engaging review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have always wondered what it would be like to live in an orphanage. It sounds like Johnny is an interesting character. I like that it includes humor, so I think I must look into it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

Character driven stories are great but I have some trouble following the story if plot is too slow. Not always the case, I really did love Life of Pi which is also completely character driven. Your descriptive review makes me want to check out the sample, especially since you mentioned that it's based on a true story.
Thanks for the review :D
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

It must have been very difficult for little Johnny to grow up without a mum and a sickly dad. I would read this book so as to understand the experiences he went through while in the home. I would also root for such a character to succeed.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This story has a unique perspective as Johnny knew both of his parents and didn't go into the orphanage until he was a bit older. I like his attitude that allows him to laugh and still see the humor in different situations. This looks good! Thanks.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I do wonder if the book deals with the fact that older kids find it harder to get adopted, but other than that, it sounds quite touching. I like that he could keep a sense of humour because often that acts as a sort of buffer from the sadness about situations like this too.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”