Official Review: Voodoo in Savannah by Deirdre Hutchins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: Voodoo in Savannah by Deirdre Hutchins

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Voodoo in Savannah" by Deirdre Hutchins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In 2013, a HuffPost/YouGov poll determined that 45% of Americans believe in ghosts. As such, people like Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson, paranormal investigators who starred on Ghost Hunters, thrive and enjoy popularity. In Deirdre Hutchins' book, Voodoo in Savannah, Paranormal Investigators League (P.I.L.) members Duncan, Duane, Paige, and Nelson aren’t as concerned about fame as they are about helping Karen, who's convinced her home is haunted.

We meet Karen about six weeks after she has moved into a home that she plans to restore. She hasn't accomplished as much as she would have liked due to strange and scary noises in the home, noises she cannot chalk up to the wind or the house settling. After catching a glimpse of an ethereal figure in a bedroom mirror, Karen leaves the house in a panic and refuses to re-enter until the house is cleared. This is where the P.I.L. comes in.

Duncan, the head of the group, is used to having to tell clients that what they're experiencing are only electromagnetic fields (EMF) or something of that nature, as true paranormal activity is rare. So when he meets Karen, he and his crew first look for ways to explain what she's experiencing. When it becomes clear that it's not just EMF, he and the crew excitedly assist their client.

Even though Voodoo in Savannah didn't introduce any external conflicts, I felt that the investigation carried the story along quite nicely. I'm not easily frightened, so I was never scared, but I did spend the majority of my reading time on the edge of my seat, wondering what would happen next. Even though I don't scare easy, I have been in houses that make a lot of noise, so I was easily able to commiserate with the characters when that happened. I also liked the few twists and turns involved in the story; they upped the ante and increased my interest tenfold.

I thought Karen was written well in her role as the frightened and naive, yet determined, owner of the haunted house. The P.I.L. members were all wonderful in their roles, as well, but I kind of missed having at least one "bad guy" - aside from the incorporeal entities - just to throw a little extra pepper in the sauce. Aside from Duncan, who did a great job calming his clients' nerves, my favorite character was Brazil, a Voodoo priestess and shopkeep who gave the team some insight. I'd love to read a story with her as the protagonist. I'd also like to know more about Duane and Nelson.

As outstanding as Voodoo in Savannah was storywise, I do have to mention the abnormal use of punctuation in the tome. While many of the missing commas I noted weren't "wrong," per se, their lack did throw me off my reading somewhat, so I would suggest a light editing to make the sentences clearer. There was also one errant apostrophe, one missing hyphen, and one instance of abnormal period usage. After thinking about it at length, I decided to award this tome 4 out of 4 stars, as the creative use of punctuation did not warrant the removal of a whole star, and I couldn’t go with 3.5.

I'm very proud to recommend this book to readers who enjoy haunted house stories and/or tales involving black magic. People who think their house may be haunted may find the read educational as well. However, even though the scares aren't that high level, I'd still caution those who are easily frightened against reading the tale.
Magic people, Voodoo people
The Voodoo, who do
What you don’t dare do, people
- Voodoo People by The Prodigy

Voodoo in Savannah
View: on Bookshelves
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

This sounds AMAZING! I can't wait to read this. Thank you for this review.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

MsTri wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 18:46 I'm very proud to recommend this book to readers who enjoy haunted house stories and/or tales involving black magic. People who think their house may be haunted may find the read educational as well. However, even though the scares aren't that high level, I'd still caution those who are easily frightened against reading the tale.
And that is where I make my exit. Just the cover alone had me feeling some type of way. I'm not built for any type of horror, subtle or otherwise. :snooty: Nonetheless, thanks for the detailed and awesome review!
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

This sounds like an amazing book. I really enjoy scary books. Thanks for the amazing review.
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

Your review is awesome and detailed. I knew it was gonna be a scary book when I saw the title. I love scary books, and like you too, I'm not usually the scared type. Thanks for the recommendation
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

This book sounds great. I love that the team initially thinks that it's not actually something paranormal, but is excited when they find out that it is. I'm curious about this ghost and look forward to reading this. Thanks for the review!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Your review is certainly unique! :D

I like the fact that you included poll results and a quote to further increase a reader's interest in the story. I agree that having a "bad guy" or some external conflict would have added more dimension to the narrative.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

This book sounds amazing! As a native of Savannah, I am intrigued by the paranormal. I love your review and writing style.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”