Official Review: Triumphant Ride by Herman Cajigas jr.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Triumphant Ride by Herman Cajigas jr.

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Triumphant Ride" by Herman Cajigas jr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Triumphant Ride: One Man’s Successful Journey Despite His Formidable Challenge is a non-fiction book by Herman Cajigas Jr., (HCJ). He related how one imprudent action changed his life forever. He did not let this tragedy define his life but chose to triumph over it.

Herman’s daunting journey came to life in his book that comprises 187 pages (PDF format) and thirty-nine chapters. Most of the sections are only three or four pages long, focusing on one main event in the author’s life. The story flowed in chronological order beginning with a brief history of his parents’ courtship, marriage, and move to New York from Puerto Rico. HCJ continued the narrative with a description of his life-changing accident. He was only nineteen when the event occurred. A happy senior-class trip ended with HCJ in the hospital and learning that he would be in a wheelchair for the remainder of his life.

The subsequent chapters related the events and names of numerous people who impacted Herman’s life. He also shared how he and his wife, Tere, gave back to the community. They worked in premarital counseling sessions and started a scholarship fund at Florida International University.

The book contained numerous inspirational quotes. Some were original messages written by the author. “Change your outlook of life, and you change your destiny,” inspired HCJ to maintain a positive attitude, despite the outward circumstances of his life. The author shared another profound reflection that came to him after a verbal dispute with his wife. The author reflected: “Forgiving oneself, as well as forgiving any other who might have harmed you, is about not letting some offensive act affect or dictate how you live your life. You do not condone the act. You just not let it hold any power over you, thereby freeing you from that burden” (p 128). I enjoyed these quotes and had difficulty choosing a favorite.

Some descriptions would have benefited from a photo. I had difficulty picturing how HCJ was able to drive a car. A photo of the hand controls he used would have cleared up this confusion. I also had a hard time visualizing the “stand-aid” the author used to be vertical for specific periods of the day. I would have loved to see a picture of Tere, the author’s wife. I felt profound respect for her strength and perseverance.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The author shared his experiences with heartfelt honesty and profound strength for circumstances beyond his control. The inspirational quotes manifested the power an optimistic mental attitude produces to triumph over physical drawbacks. The book had less than five grammar errors. Although the author could have shown anger, the writing is refreshingly free of any profanity. This true story will inspire people experiencing adversity or tragedy in their lives. People with life-threatening diseases would receive encouragement from the author’s experiences. Herman’s book would appeal to a broader audience of people who are undergoing emotional, physical, or financial difficulties. His quotes and experiences will motivate readers to develop a triumphant attitude over any hardship they may be experiencing. “It is solely up to us to make the best of whatever we encounter.”

Triumphant Ride
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

This story is inspiring. I can't wait to pick it up. I'm glad that it was engaging and profound to you. Thanks for the awesome review.
Spencer Mack
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I love the positive message that the author has to share in his book. The quotes you shared definitely highlight the inspirational nature of his triumph over an unexpected accident in his life. Thanks for the great review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

“Change your outlook of life, and you change your destiny” is a great quote. This sounds like a very inspiring read. Thanks for the review!
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

This seems like a very wholesome and refreshing read. I also like that it's short; for someone who loves reading non-fiction, I can be quite sluggish in my reading when there isn't a thrilling plot to follow haha.
Thanks for your review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I like your suggestion about including photos/illustrations to give readers a better visual. Great review, as always!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

spencermack wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 09:56 This story is inspiring. I can't wait to pick it up. I'm glad that it was engaging and profound to you. Thanks for the awesome review.
You will enjoy the author's positive attitude in the midst of all the unexpected events life threw in his path. I hope you will be inspired by his story. Thanks for commenting!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 10:16 I love the positive message that the author has to share in his book. The quotes you shared definitely highlight the inspirational nature of his triumph over an unexpected accident in his life. Thanks for the great review!
Could you stay positive knowing you would never be able to ride your bike again? The author's strength of character is amazing. I hope you enjoy his story. Thanks for commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Tomah wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 10:37 “Change your outlook of life, and you change your destiny” is a great quote. This sounds like a very inspiring read. Thanks for the review!
There are so many inspiring quotes in this book! The author truly teaches you that a positive mental attitude can overcome any physical or emotional difficulty. I hope his story inspires you, too! Thanks for commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

La Cabra wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 10:18 This seems like a very wholesome and refreshing read. I also like that it's short; for someone who loves reading non-fiction, I can be quite sluggish in my reading when there isn't a thrilling plot to follow haha.
Thanks for your review!
This book has many of the qualities you are looking for in a book! You will enjoy the inspirational quotes. Thanks for stopping by!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Cecilia_L wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 15:37 I like your suggestion about including photos/illustrations to give readers a better visual. Great review, as always!
Thanks so much for your encouraging words. I appreciate the feedback!
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

Books like this are refreshing. Reading a story about how an individual overcame a certain difficulty and pushed on forward in life is what I need to read. I agree too, photos may make the novel more captivating. Great review!
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Wamakima wrote: 29 Nov 2019, 02:38 Books like this are refreshing. Reading a story about how an individual overcame a certain difficulty and pushed on forward in life is what I need to read. I agree too, photos may make the novel more captivating. Great review!
I love memoirs that motivate the reader to be a better person! This author not only shares his life experiences, but also includes numerous inspirational quotes. By the end of the book, you really feel encouraged! Hope you enjoy his story. Thanks for commenting!
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

It sounds like you found this book very inspirational! Thanks for the thoughtful review.
peace starts with a smile...
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Snowflake wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 08:33 It sounds like you found this book very inspirational! Thanks for the thoughtful review.
It was an amazing story! His positive attitude, from a wheelchair, silenced anything I could find wrong with my life!! He really made me look at things from a different perspective. Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”