Official Review: The Inner War by Gerda Robinson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Inner War by Gerda Robinson

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Inner War" by Gerda Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Inner War: A German WWII Survivor’s Journey from Pain to Peace, Gerda Robinson chronicles the trauma and abuse she endured as a child during the war and the pain she carried into her adult life. She explains how her unresolved emotional trauma resulted in depression, anxiety, and chronic back pain. Robinson shares the healing practices introduced to her at a pain rehabilitation clinic and brings awareness to the effects of childhood trauma. She desires to encourage others who need to find hope and peace after debilitating traumatic experiences.

Robinson has a gift for storytelling; her evocative journey is a compelling read, and the editing is exceptional. She skillfully balances the trauma no child should endure with simple pleasures and intermittent seasons of normalcy. For instance, Robinson shares an early childhood memory of a meaningful Christmas. Her sheer delight of receiving new handmade clothing from her grandmother is especially touching. As Robinson's story continues, anyone who has longed for the acceptance of a family will relate to her ongoing search to find her place. Overall, the book conveys a message of hope despite the horrific experiences of Robinson's childhood.

It is understandable why someone with Robinson's traumatic childhood might doubt a loving God, but I particularly like watching her faith and relationship with God deepen along the way. "I sincerely hope that my story will inspire readers to take God seriously and start the journey with Him sooner than I did. The only excuse I can offer is that my heart and mind were not emotionally healthy enough to let Jesus's love flow through my veins."

I also like the "quick fixes" Robinson provides for readers who may be unable to pursue ongoing therapy. I appreciate her sensitivity as she explains three effective practices that anyone can try. Additionally, I admire Robinson's candor in recounting the stigma surrounding psychiatrists and mental health issues in the early '70s.

Although there isn't anything I dislike about the book, I will caution sensitive readers that the portions involving Robinson's childhood abuse may be difficult to read. However, the content is not graphic. There is also a non-explicit reference to rape and the use of one profane word.

I am pleased to rate this poignant memoir 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy stories about overcoming adversity and to those interested in a psychiatric approach to pain management. Although Robinson discusses her Christian faith, due to the other issues she addresses, the book may also appeal to non-believers.

The Inner War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

Sounds like the kind of memoir I'd really love to read. I'm not the biggest fan of spiritual books but when such spiritual accounts come from people who really have had every reason to give up on faith, I can appreciate it a lot more. Thanks for your review.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This sounds like one book I would love to pick for my next reading. Thanks a lot for the detailed and well-written review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

Thank you for sharing your insight. I appreciate that the author shares her story and feelings throughout this book. I'm sure it will make it much more relatable.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

La Cabra wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 01:49 Sounds like the kind of memoir I'd really love to read. I'm not the biggest fan of spiritual books but when such spiritual accounts come from people who really have had every reason to give up on faith, I can appreciate it a lot more. Thanks for your review.
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

tristenb wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 08:54 Thank you for sharing your insight. I appreciate that the author shares her story and feelings throughout this book. I'm sure it will make it much more relatable.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Kibetious wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 03:02 This sounds like one book I would love to pick for my next reading. Thanks a lot for the detailed and well-written review.
Thank you. :tiphat:
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

It sounds like the person has gone through quite the journey. It's awesome you were able to watch them grow as the book went on. Awesome review!
Spencer Mack
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This one seems to hit all the perfect notes. Any book that starts in WWII is bound to have some not-so-happy themes, so I'm glad the author could bring it together to make such a well-rounded story.
Loved this review, for a change :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I am always amazed of the various ways people find to overcome adversity. Great review! :tiphat:
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

It seems like this is one of those books that has the power to consume a reader. I love her relationship with religion and how it effected her and changed for the better. As always great review!
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

spencermack wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 09:29 It sounds like the person has gone through quite the journey. It's awesome you were able to watch them grow as the book went on. Awesome review!
Thanks for your comment, Spencer.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bianka Walter wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 11:21 This one seems to hit all the perfect notes. Any book that starts in WWII is bound to have some not-so-happy themes, so I'm glad the author could bring it together to make such a well-rounded story.
Loved this review, for a change :)
Thanks for sharing, Bianka!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

mmm17 wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 12:07 I am always amazed of the various ways people find to overcome adversity. Great review! :tiphat:
Thank you!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 12:58 It seems like this is one of those books that has the power to consume a reader. I love her relationship with religion and how it effected her and changed for the better. As always great review!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”