Official Review: Wizard of Wigwash by Kendall Stone

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Wizard of Wigwash by Kendall Stone

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wizard of Wigwash" by Kendall Stone.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wizard of Wigwash: The Adventures of Johnny the Penguin – Book One by Kendall Stone (Alastair Kendall and Ginny Stone) is a children’s fantasy fictional book. Ten-year-old Paul Balo has stinky breath and is bullied on the school bus, at school, and on school trips. After being bullied at the zoo, a big emperor penguin, named Johnny, starts talking to him and becomes his friend. They also befriend an unwanted dog and name him Polo.

Johnny takes Paul and Polo to Wigwash to see the wizard. Paul decides to go to Wigwash for one week instead of the school’s summer camp. They go through a time portal and go back 50 years in time. There, Paul meets Laura and quickly likes talking and being with her. After several days of waiting to see the wizard, they all go together and meet him. He is not exactly what they expected, but he is a good wizard and built Wigwash from the beginning. Paul and Laura’s curiosity get the better of them, and they are put in a difficult and dangerous situation. Things look bleak for Paul to ever return home safely and to his family. Who will rescue Paul and Laura?

There is an adventure, magic, fantasy, humor, tension, and a lot of imagination in this story. Both boys and girls would like this book the best. Even young and older adults would enjoy reading about the adventures in Wigwash. The issues of being bullied, having a disorder or handicap, and being fearful are addressed in this story.

My favorite part of the book was at the wizard’s birthday party. It was very magical! Things happened when they ate different types of food. One example was when Paul and Laura ate German Bratwurst; they both spoke German and understood each other!

I also liked Laura’s big long (made-up) words to express something. Some of them were “flumperhumper,” “awangtangtooma,” and “shoozers.” However, I least liked that some borderline profanity was used quite a few times. It did not seem to fit into a children’s story. I did not think it reflected the characters well. Some parents may not be comfortable with their children reading or hearing “damn” and “hell.” The other issue that some parents may not like was that Paul did not tell his parents he was going to go to Wigwash. They thought Paul went to the school’s summer camp. Besides these two issues that may not sit well with parents, the book was a delightful read.

I rate Wizard of Wigwash by Kendall Stone 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted one star because of the more than ten errors found. The book needs another round of editing, otherwise, I would rate it a 4 out of 4 stars. The book was imaginative, entertaining, and fun to read. Reading Wizard of Wigwash was “awangtangtooma”! I am looking forward to reading book two in the series.

Wizard of Wigwash
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a fun read for children and certainly something I would have enjoyed as a kid! It is a shame about the errors. Hopefully, another round of editing can be done, and the book will be flawless! Thanks for the great review.
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. This sounds like a fun book with some interesting made-up words. I don't think borderline profanity is appropriate in children's books. It sounds like a round of editing is necessary before this would be a great read.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like such a cute book for young adults. It's a shame that the author felt any profanity was necessary. For my part, I think it's one I would enjoy. I love the made up words the author uses. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

The title of the book had me intrigued from the start. Your review is very well rounded! There is a lot in the book that I'd love for the kids in my family to read but the bit about profanity is quite inconvenient. I hope the author edits the book at some point and gets rid of that. Otherwise, I think it'd work for me. (Also, I feel that perhaps a new cover would help get the books off the shelves faster!)
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I would be more concerned about the parents not knowing Paul is going to Wigwash than the profanity; this can definitely be a great book for kids once those issues have been remedied. Thanks for the great review!
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

Haha. The made up words are just hilarious. Yeah I agree a children's book should not have any profane words. Children pick up words real fast and it would be a shame that this great fantasy book is helping kids learn swear words.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I think children will enjoy this story. The talking penguin is a cute character. I agree with you comments about the borderline profanity. Great review!
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

This sounds like a cute and interesting story. I kind of wish that the kid would have been bullied for something else, because I feel like bad breath is something that can be fixed. Either way though, I think the lesson is there all the same. I think that there are some things in the story that some parents might not appreciate, but I think this makes it more suitable for young adults rather than children. Thanks for the review!
SHALLU RAWAL
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shallu-rawal.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by SHALLU RAWAL »

It sounds a fun read. I really like children books but, I am glad that it is suitable for both young and adult. Thanks for the review. I'll definitely try this one out.

Return to “Children's Books”