Official Review: The Christmas Doll by Jason F. Wright

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Official Review: The Christmas Doll by Jason F. Wright

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Christmas Doll" by Jason F. Wright.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Around Christmas time, you'll often hear phrases like, "Remember the reason for the season." If you're looking for a Christian book to read to your children this holiday season, you should check out The Christmas Doll by Jason F. Wright. While he may have written the tale, it's actually a story from Gail Saxton Miller's childhood. (She's the owner of the Utah Jazz NBA team.)

The story opens with six-year-old Gail Saxton on Christmas morning. Her family has been having a difficult time making ends meet. This makes it all the more surprising when Gail gets a brand-new doll for Christmas. The book follows Gail and her Christmas Doll for the next year; we watch Gail's admiration for her doll diminish as she starts to show the wear and tear of being loved by a small child. Can she find a way to enjoy her beloved Christmas Doll again?

While most Christmas books with Christian messages revolve around the Nativity, Wright takes a different approach. Instead, the story focuses on Revelation 21:5: "And he that sat upon the throne said, / Behold, I make all things new." While I was surprised by this, I think it's one of the book's strongest features; it sets it apart from the many other Christian Christmas books out there. It also helps it transcend from being just a Christmas book into one that can be read throughout the year.

This 32-page book is for children between four and eight years old. It contains beautiful illustrations by Howard Lyon. They are so lifelike that I almost thought they were photographs at first. The language is simplistic, yet it still possesses a certain whimsical feel. It contains playful phrases like, "a wide smile fell across her face like snowflakes" and "a smile so bright it could have lit up every tree in the neighborhood."

This book appears to be professionally edited; I found no errors. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. The message is strong, the illustrations are wonderful, and I enjoyed the author's writing style. There wasn't a single thing about it that I disliked. I would recommend this book for Christian children between the ages of four and eight. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who doesn't want a book with Christian elements.

The Christmas Doll
View: on Bookshelves
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

It sounds beautiful! I love beautifully illustrated books that aren't all cartoony. I'm going to check it out. Thanks for the review!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Wow; just the summary pulled at my heartstrings. It sounds like a wonderful read for kids. Thanks for the great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is such a different take on a Christian Christmas story. I'm glad it's done well with great illustrations. I love the cover. Thanks for your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

What a wonderfully unique idea to use Revelation 21:5 as a basis for a children’s Christmas story. Thank you for your view!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

Wow! During every Christmas he that sits on the throne makes everything anew. There's always a lesson to be learned in reading a book, even children's books. And your wonderful review has pointed out this great lesson.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Destinycaroline456
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Destinycaroline456 »

I would love to read this book to my daughter when she gets 4!!!!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love this author's unique perspective on a traditional story. Your positive review of this book makes me want to read about Gail's doll. Thanks for the wonderful recommendation!
Fairyland1010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Fairyland1010 »

I would love to read this book for my kids. It sounds very interesting. The author gives a great perspective on the story. Thank you for the recommendation!

Return to “Children's Books”