Official Review: The Coming Messiah by Elwood McDuffie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: The Coming Messiah by Elwood McDuffie

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Coming Messiah" by Elwood McDuffie.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Coming Messiah: Hope for a Hurting World, Elwood McDuffie offers a panoramic glimpse of history to explain that the world has arrived at a critical point. He presents several warning signs that man’s rule over the planet is coming to a close, including earthquakes and rampant sexual immorality, notably homosexuality. He posits that there will come a time of great suffering, known biblically as the tribulation, before the return of Jesus Christ. During this time, men will experience God’s wrath. The essential role of Israel in all this is thoroughly analyzed.

As a kid, McDuffie witnessed fabulous sermons on heaven and hell as he attended an independent, fundamental Baptist church. He argues that, at one time, America’s pulpits were alive and vibrant. However, he does not believe this to be the case nowadays. Among the numerous reasons for this, the majority of churches “have allowed New Age doctrine and humanism to infect their teaching and worship.”

There were a few things I liked about this book. I mostly enjoyed the author’s interpretation of the Bible, especially the books of Genesis, Leviticus, and Revelation. I was positively impressed by the numerous references and citations. McDuffie examines hundreds of biblical passages, including original Greek and Hebrew terms. Moreover, I thought that he provided an insightful interpretation of traditional and well-known biblical narratives. I particularly appreciated how he dives deep in them; he comes across as a knowledgeable man. At the end of the book, there is a comprehensive list of references.

On the other hand, I disliked some overly exaggerated claims, particularly his somewhat distorted beliefs that things are getting worse in the world. I understand that the way we consume information tends to foster such fear. However, I do think we should try to consider things objectively and rationally, embracing a worldview based on facts. Our world, although fundamentally imperfect, is in a better state than it was in the past. I, for one, wouldn’t give up on human rights or science’s advances and go back to the Middle Ages.

In closing, I rate The Coming Messiah 3 out of 4 stars. It seems professionally edited, for I only found a few editing mishaps. Overall, I enjoyed the book, although I disagree with several of the author’s ideas. I’m deducting a star from the rating due to the exaggerations previously explained. If it weren’t for this aspect, I would have given it the highest rating. I recommend The Coming Messiah to readers who are fond of biblical analyses, especially eschatology. I believe it will appeal mostly to Christian readers. If morally conservative viewpoints bother you, I recommend you skip this one.

The Coming Messiah
View: on Bookshelves
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

It always interests me how people come to develop the beliefs they have. I am not one to follow the bible or be interested in it though. Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Anna180
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anna180 »

Its good thing to constantly remind ourselves that the world is just a path. As a christian and have read the bible, i do understand that there will be a time when all we see will come to an end
Thank you for the review
Nikkat Taylor

Post by Nikkat Taylor »

It always interests me how people can get into books like this. I may not believe in “God” but I would read this.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I disagree with a lot of what you say the author presents in this book, but I can appreciate a well reasoned argument for one's beliefs and respect that even as I disagree. I won't be reading it though. Still, this was an excellent review.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The bottom line is none knows the day or the hour. Still, I think we need to be aware of the biblical signs. I'm curious as to what the author has to say, that is how he interprets scripture. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
leydissandra

Post by leydissandra »

i think it was very narrative and well explained . I refered a lot to the bible it is well organized and detailed , also I would like to say that it appeals mostly to Christians { religion} , also punctuation and exaggeration was good , so far good I give it a 4!
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 18:41 The bottom line is none knows the day or the hour. Still, I think we need to be aware of the biblical signs. I'm curious as to what the author has to say, that is how he interprets scripture. Thanks.
Absolutely! Thanks for reading and commenting.
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Nisha Ward wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 18:00 I disagree with a lot of what you say the author presents in this book, but I can appreciate a well reasoned argument for one's beliefs and respect that even as I disagree. I won't be reading it though. Still, this was an excellent review.
I feel the same way. Thank you for reading!
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Letora wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 08:44 It always interests me how people come to develop the beliefs they have. I am not one to follow the bible or be interested in it though. Thank you for your review!
Thank you for your comments and for reading the review!
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

Good review but I have to point out that you and the author view the world from different point of view, that must not be a point of contention but an opportunity to appreciate each other views. You have a physical focus while the author looks at the world spiritually.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author seems to be writing from a Reformed belief system that teaches a time of tribulation before Jesus returns. This usually indicates that the millennium is near. It is enlightening that the author identifies New Age and humanistic teachings as corrupting influences. I thoroughly enjoyed your insightful review. Thanks.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”