Review by Wamakima -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Review by Wamakima -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When a naked, petite, asian woman is swept downstream after slipping from a rock, she has no idea that she would forge an unbreakable bond with her rescuers.The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a novel of five independent women: Sophie, Amanda, Veronica, Rose and Melody. Their lives get intertwined around a sport known as fly fishing. The chapters explain the female characters from a first-person perspective, which provides insight into their individual characteristics and personality.

Michelle Cummings is an established author and started writing The Reel Sisters in 2009. It was then she took her first class in fly fishing and has enjoyed the sport ever since. She grew up on a farm in Kansas and now lives in Littleton, Colorado.

The main themes that really stood out are love and friendship. Despite their age differences, the women have a deep respect and love for each other. They air out their conflicts in a mature and inspiring way. Their dedication to the sport allows them to meet and spend time with each other at the cabin.

I really liked how the author explains the experiences in vivid detail. For instance, before I read this book, I had never heard of a sport known as fly fishing. But as the story progresses, I acquire a deeper understanding of the materials used, rules followed and clothing gear worn. Michelle Cummings also describes the environment very well. I applaud how she clearly depicts the Colorado terrain.

However, in turn, this became the element that I disliked the most. The story at times becomes dull and monotonous. The author gives the characters too much description. Another thing that I dislike is the dry and lifeless conversations that occur between the characters. An example, when rescuing Melody, I feel that particular moment shouldn't have been the time to ask a naked stranger deep questions. These elements made it quite difficult to finish the book quickly.

Overall the book evoked strong emotions in me. I was sad, happy and in awe at times. The book is professionally edited. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed the book and the concept revolving around it, however its dull and monotonous tone in some chapters made it difficult to rate it higher. I would recommend the book to all women who are looking to improve their friendships and relationships. There is a thing or two to learn on how to create and keep up long-term friendships.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I've read this one and appreciate your take on it. I understand why you gave it the rating you did as well. I thought it was a heart-warming read with a strong theme of the importance of female friendship, and I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the excellent review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

I also hadn't heard of fly fishing before I read the book. It was a good read. Thanks for your beautiful review.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

I flew through the book and enjoyed it, but I can understand how you thought that some parts of it were slow. The story is definitely more character driven than plot driven. Thanks for the review!
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

Meg98 wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 12:16 I've read this one and appreciate your take on it. I understand why you gave it the rating you did as well. I thought it was a heart-warming read with a strong theme of the importance of female friendship, and I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the excellent review!
I am glad that you enjoyed the review! Thank you
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

tristenb wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 12:32 I flew through the book and enjoyed it, but I can understand how you thought that some parts of it were slow. The story is definitely more character driven than plot driven. Thanks for the review!
It definitely is. Thank you!
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

Nkoo wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 13:16 I also hadn't heard of fly fishing before I read the book. It was a good read. Thanks for your beautiful review.
Thank you too!
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a great story about friendship. Too bad the writing was a bit monotonous at times. Great review!
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I was also unaware of the sport before reading this book. You present a strong review. I agree with you on most of the points. Thank you!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Great book. I didn't like what happened to a specific sister at the end of the book, though.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 12:02 I was also unaware of the sport before reading this book. You present a strong review. I agree with you on most of the points. Thank you!
Thank you for your kind words.
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

LinaMueller wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 12:57 Great book. I didn't like what happened to a specific sister at the end of the book, though.
Haha, it happens. Thank you for stopping by.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Tone is an important factor for me, so it's dullness and monotony is kind of a turn off. Still, thank you for the insightful review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I enjoyed the novel's concept, but the exposition was a bit too much and not handled very well, as you mentioned. Thanks for the review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This seems to be a good story about friendship and the sport of fly fishing. It's too bad there are times when it is boring as that is a dealbreaker for me. Thanks for the wonderful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”