Official Review: Email to Signor by Ronald Spinello

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: Email to Signor by Ronald Spinello

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Email to Signor" by Ronald Spinello.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“If something ever happened to you, I’d follow you wherever you’d go. I promise! Because neither of us would be fit to spend eternity without the other.”

It is September 11th, 2001, and Jon watches in horror as the twin towers implode. He is in utter shock when he has a vision of his wife, Julia, falling to her death. She had been having lunch with friends in one of the buildings when the plane collided. How could he go on without the love of his life? Grief-stricken, he leaves all of his responsibilities and boards his yacht where he plans to sail far away.

Julia is alive, but she is unable to reach Jon as he has become delusional. The tragedy has severely affected his mental health. Julia must find him before he makes an impulsive decision with irreversible consequences.

Email to Signor by Ronald Spinello is a detailed love story that revolves around Jon and Julia. The book is comprised of two parts and is told from the first-person perspective. Jon narrates the first section, and the second follows things from Julia’s perspective. The reader experiences the unraveling of Jon as he grapples with grief, which results in an altered state of reality. By telling the story from each of the character’s perspectives, I was able to put myself in their shoes and fully comprehend what they were going through.

My favorite part of the book was the author’s ability to show me rather than tell me how Jon’s mental health was deteriorating. Throughout Email to Signor, Jon reminisced about his childhood, which provided me with insight as to why his grief manifested into delusions. When recounting the abuse he endured as a child, Julia’s character would notice he would be in a trance. This trance-like disposition became more commonplace as he plummeted into a deep depression after 9/11.

Another thing that I enjoyed about the book was Julia’s spirituality. She was raised a strict Catholic, so God was a permanent fixture in her life—and the book! Having lost both her parents at a young age, she developed a quirky way of speaking to Him, and I was engrossed in the description of her approach. With that being said, I don’t think the religious aspect of the book would deter people of other religious beliefs from reading it.

While the characters and plot were intriguing, there were a few things I didn’t enjoy about the book. First, the whole book was riddled with grammatical errors. The biggest offender was missing commas and, in particular, the overuse of ellipses. I felt like I was reading a text message from my mother. I will be happy if I never see those three little dots again! Second, the author would be describing a person or an event, and then all of a sudden, he would go off on a tangent that would last several pages. This rambling confused me, and I was bored with all the unnecessary detail. I glazed over quite a few parts that weren’t imperative to the story.

I chose to give the book a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. I wanted to love it, but it desperately needs another round of editing to secure a higher score.

I would recommend the book to readers who don’t mind a slow-moving book with a lot of detail. Email to Signor is character-driven and focuses on mental health and spirituality. This book would be perfect for readers who enjoy love stories that focus on flawed characters. On the other hand, I would not recommend this book to readers who are looking for a fast-paced storyline. The plot has a slow build-up, and the author goes on lengthy tangents. While the language is clean, the book covers some weighty topics, and I would dissuade younger readers from choosing it.

Email to Signor
View: on Bookshelves
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

Sounds like a great story. If it were ever posted to a free reading website like Wattpad, I think it'd do great. But as a proper published book, grammatical errors are really unforgivable breaches of a good reading experience lol! Thanks for your thorough review.
Stephanie Elizabeth

La Cabra wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 04:55 Sounds like a great story. If it were ever posted to a free reading website like Wattpad, I think it'd do great. But as a proper published book, grammatical errors are really unforgivable breaches of a good reading experience lol! Thanks for your thorough review.
I couldn't agree more; thank you!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a really promising read, it just needs the errors to be corrected.Thanks for the excellent review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Stephanie Elizabeth

Meg98 wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 10:46 This sounds like a really promising read, it just needs the errors to be corrected.Thanks for the excellent review!
Thank you!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely seems intriguing. I like the premise, and I'd be curious to see the author's treatment of mental illness. It's too bad, though, that the errors and rambling disrupt the story. Thanks for your thoughts.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This sounds like an interesting read, or at least it was until the part where it seems editing was not given much thought. I would like to read it, though. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a really intriguing premise dealing with mental health. It's too bad the execution wasn't as great as the concept. Your reference to the ellipses made me laugh out loud. My mom takes a full minute to text a sentence, so I totally get what you mean. Thanks for a great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 20:39 This definitely seems intriguing. I like the premise, and I'd be curious to see the author's treatment of mental illness. It's too bad, though, that the errors and rambling disrupt the story. Thanks for your thoughts.
Thanks!
Stephanie Elizabeth

unamilagra wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 15:22 This sounds like a really intriguing premise dealing with mental health. It's too bad the execution wasn't as great as the concept. Your reference to the ellipses made me laugh out loud. My mom takes a full minute to text a sentence, so I totally get what you mean. Thanks for a great review!
Thanks for your thoughtful comment!
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

Thanks for the review but I will pass on this one, I prefer fast paced books.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It seems like a great read and a look into how grief over a loved one can affect the mind. If only it didn't have so many errors. Your review was lovely, as always, though!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”