Official Review: Friend Or Not by J. Reef

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Official Review: Friend Or Not by J. Reef

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Friend Or Not" by J. Reef.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It can be challenging to get a child to open up to adults about their lives. Friend Or Not: A Child's Perception And A Parent's Insight by J. Reef was written to open the door for parents to have conversations with their children about their friends, and more importantly, the people they don't consider their friends.

This interactive, fill-in-the-blank book is filled with prompts like: "I like to talk to my friend ___," and "___ calls me names, and he/she is not my friend." Ideally, these questions will also encourage the child to discuss the specifics of these scenarios, helping the parent to learn more about their child's daily lives.

Friend or Not is aimed at children between the ages of seven and nine. The author recommends this book for parents, guardians, teachers, counselors, and anyone else who plays a prominent role in a child's life.

At the beginning of the book, it tells you to "circle he or she (he/she)." However, the option doesn't come into play until the author begins asking questions about antagonistic relations, which aren't until the second half of the book. I found this confusing at first and think it would be better if the option was included in all of the questions. Alternatively, given that some people are moving away from binary gender classifications, eliminating this part might be the best option; I don't think it adds too much to the conversation.

There are illustrations to accompany each question. One pair of girls and one pair of boys are shown, and they are acting out the question. I think it might be helpful to mix it up and have groups that include both girls and boys. Friends and enemies aren't always going to be the same gender as you.

I think that this book could be helpful when it comes to learning about your child's life. I believe it would have worked for me when I was 7-9 years old. However, I do think there's one potential issue. The questions about antagonistic actions always end with, "and he/she is not my friend." Sadly, we can still be friends with people who make us cry, call us names, or are mean to us. Additionally, while all of the illustrations are of children, I think it's a good idea for parents to say that adults can be included. For instance, if a teacher calls them names, wouldn't that be good to know? Of course, this book may only be focused on children, but I think it could lead to a more comprehensive look at their child's life.

Overall, I think this book could do what it promises - open the door for conversations with your child about their daily lives. It's professionally edited; I found no errors. While I think there is room for improvement, I still give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to any adults who play a prominent role in a 7- to 9-year-old child's life.

Friend Or Not
View: on Bookshelves
StayAtHomeWithMe80
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by StayAtHomeWithMe80 »

Luckily, my 9 year old is pretty open with me about his interactions with others. Although this book doesn’t necessarily suit our needs, it could perhaps be helpful to another child who isn’t quite as comfortable with opening up to caregivers. However, I don’t really like the idea that this book proclaims that “he/she is not my friend." I feel it’s far too harsh to just write off other children you’re having some problems with.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 508
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

This book seems great for kids to help them become more open with their struggles. I can agree with having to be friends with those that are mean to us. Sometimes, we find out in cruel ways that people whom we thought were our friends really aren't. Seems like a great read for kids!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

I think this book will help drastically improve the parent-child relationship. This is a great review.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

Sounds like a great way to initiate conversation in quality time between parents and kids. Especially these days, when it looks like working parents are less and less capable of fulfilling their children's attention needs. Most kids fill their parents' absence with their iPads and Kindle Fires. This would make a lovely change.
Thanks for your great review.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a great, interactive book to improve communication skills in children. Thanks for the review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This book sounds like a great idea for conversation starters about friendship and negotiating tough situations. Thanks for your thoughtful review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This looks like it would be helpful to help children understand what healthy relationships look like. The questions could help children have the freedom to express their feelings and frustrations. Thanks.
Icarus Bd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Icarus Bd »

In this era it's going to be easy for children's to know much more about relationship by reading this book. Keep it up
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

I think the illustrations go a long way to improve comprehension and appreciation from the readers. Thanks for the review.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

This sounds like a great book that would initiate a conversation with a child. Thank you for a great review.

Return to “Children's Books”