Official Review: Stock Investing For Everyone

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Official Review: Stock Investing For Everyone

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stock Investing For Everyone" by Kevin J. Davey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stock Investing For Everyone is a book written by Kevin J. Davey, a seasoned market professional who has been investing and trading for almost thirty years. Davey condenses all of his expertise in this short guide to getting started with stocks. The twenty-one chapters cover a broad range of topics such as opening a brokerage account, figuring out your objectives, and analyzing stocks.

As the title implies, the author wrote the book with a wide audience in mind. He divides different investment approaches into tiers. The first tier offers safety and minimal time commitment for people who don’t want to spend a lot of effort in the market. Each following tier increases the risks and potential returns. Whether you’re saving to buy a house, preparing for retirement, or building funds for your kids’ college, you’ll find an appropriate category that best suits your needs.

Davey uses convincing arguments to persuade the reader that the stock market is the best way to build wealth, even including case studies of different investment strategies. He does so without promising any get-rich-quick schemes or shortcuts. It’s not an easy road, with plenty of challenges around the corner, but it’s worthwhile.

The book is an excellent introductory resource for beginners. Besides talking about basic things such as how to enter a buying or selling offer, it briefly touches on technical and fundamental analysis, algorithmic trading, position-sizing, options, and many other topics. Since it’s impossible to fully cover all of them, the author recommends good complementary books whenever necessary. You can even get additional resources for algorithmic trading through the book’s website.

Interspersed between bits of financial advice are personal stories that add a touch of relatability to the book and help to illustrate various points. For example, the author talks about how his experiences with different companies influenced his decision to invest in them. These stories are a nice change of pace and make the reading experience even more fluid. It’s very easy to finish the entire book in one sitting, though I recommend taking your time and making notes.

I rate Stock Investing For Everyone 4 out of 4 stars. That’s not to say there aren’t any problems, but they’re fairly minor and won’t bother most readers. Since it’s a very accessible book, veteran traders and investors likely won’t find a lot of new information. Also, while I only found one objective error in the book (a misspelling of “sad” as “said”), the non-standard use of commas bothered me a bit. For example, the author sometimes places a comma after an introductory “but”: “But, that is not always the case.” There are also other instances of unnecessary commas and odd phrasing: "Companies in this sector may be great, but small, companies."

I can safely recommend the book to everyone, even teenagers. Indeed, this would be a great read for young people entering the workforce and starting to deal with money. The language is simple and straightforward, and there are no profanities whatsoever.

Stock Investing For Everyone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I would like to learn more about investing in the stock market. I know next to nothing, though, so I'm still afraid this will go over my head. It's worth a look, however. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

:tiphat: Thanks for the review. I been looking recently a book that will guide me in stock market. This one suits my interest. You have a nice review.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I'm not educated in the stock market so I would like to learn more about it, and I think this book is perfect for that! Thanks for the excellent review.
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

This sounds like a practical guide to investing in the stock market. I already have so much abstract knowledge in the field of finance and investment that if it practical I think it might help. Thanks for sharing!
Sydney Nyamasoka
Currently Reading: The 1000 most important questions you will ever ask yourself
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-nyamasoka.html
Latest Review: The Harder I Fall, The Higher I Bounce by Max James

Post by Sydney Nyamasoka »

Thanks for the good review. Being an entry level Accountant, I find this to be a book worth the reading effort and time.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

jeminah28 wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 20:17 :tiphat: Thanks for the review. I been looking recently a book that will guide me in stock market. This one suits my interest. You have a nice review.
Meg98 wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 20:40 I'm not educated in the stock market so I would like to learn more about it, and I think this book is perfect for that! Thanks for the excellent review.
Fazzier wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 04:34 This sounds like a practical guide to investing in the stock market. I already have so much abstract knowledge in the field of finance and investment that if it practical I think it might help. Thanks for sharing!
kandscreeley wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 20:15 I would like to learn more about investing in the stock market. I know next to nothing, though, so I'm still afraid this will go over my head. It's worth a look, however. Thanks.
Thanks for the comments! The book is ideal for beginners, starting from the very basics all the way to options and algorithmic trading.
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

Looks like a really neat introduction plus beginner's guide to stock investing. I like that you mentioned that the book recounts the author's own personal anecdotes--I find non-fic quite hard to read without that kind of personal touch. Really great review, I'm gonna look into this book myself.
Did you find this book suitable for an international audience or is it more concentrated on a particular country?
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

La Cabra wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 00:42 Looks like a really neat introduction plus beginner's guide to stock investing. I like that you mentioned that the book recounts the author's own personal anecdotes--I find non-fic quite hard to read without that kind of personal touch. Really great review, I'm gonna look into this book myself.
Did you find this book suitable for an international audience or is it more concentrated on a particular country?
While the book is more focused on the US stock market, I found it helpful despite not being American myself. It talks about a lot of general principles that apply to stock markets everywhere. Thanks for the comment!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I should read this book, so I can become more knowledgeable about the stock market. It sounds like a good book for beginners. Thanks for a great review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I've been thinking off and on for the last year about getting into the stock market, but I don't know much about it. This seems like the perfect book to help with that. Thanks for the great review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 08:00 I've been thinking off and on for the last year about getting into the stock market, but I don't know much about it. This seems like the perfect book to help with that. Thanks for the great review!
Prisallen wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 18:11 I should read this book, so I can become more knowledgeable about the stock market. It sounds like a good book for beginners. Thanks for a great review!
Indeed, this book was tailor-made for beginners. Thanks for the comments!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

One of the elements that causes fear is lack of knowledge. This book looks ideal for us neophytes in the workings of the stock market. We all have to start somewhere! Thanks for this compelling recommendation.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

kdstrack wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 08:24 One of the elements that causes fear is lack of knowledge. This book looks ideal for us neophytes in the workings of the stock market. We all have to start somewhere! Thanks for this compelling recommendation.
True, the stock market does sound scary if you don't know much about it. Thanks for the comment!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”