Official Review: What's Your Poison by Marie Fostino

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: What's Your Poison by Marie Fostino

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What's Your Poison" by Marie Fostino.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What's Your Poison is a modern-day fictional story written by Marie Fostino. Published in June of 2018, Fostino's story is a shorter read at 170 Kindle edition pages. Although written as a work of fiction, the novel is inspired by the author's personal experiences in working in a detox and rehabilitation center for addiction. The main character in the story is a middle-aged woman named Sylvia. Compelled to give back to the community by news of the Oklahoma bombing, Sylvia enrolls in EMT school with a determination to help others.

After serving as an EMT and paramedic for many years, Sylvia began another part of her career by working at a detox and rehabilitation clinic. Coming from what could be considered a sheltered life of being a housewife, Sylvia was horrified by the things she saw and heard while working at the clinic. She knew little regarding drug use and even less regarding the actions and language used by those who were suffering. Sylvia's story features some heart-wrenching situations of those who have lost everything due to their addiction, as well as an unfortunate close call that left her vulnerable to someone at the breaking point of their addiction.

Sylvia's character development from the beginning of the story to the end was admirable. When she first began her career, she often felt out of place and hesitant with the patients and their erratic behavior. Her caring and understanding demeanor helped her significantly grow within the center and allowed the visitors to feel more welcome and comfortable. I especially liked how the author included well-developed secondary characters to help fill out the story's depth as well. Some of these characters exhibited traits and prior life choices totally different than that of Sylvia, which allowed her a deeper understanding to see how addiction can change someone, but also how they can overcome their struggle and create an entirely new and positively refocused life.

While the pace of the story was exceptionally well-done, there were a few grammatical and spelling errors that became distracting at times. Some of these errors included displaced line breaks, spelling errors with words such as angle/angel and shelve/shelf, and a few sentences that lacked clarity altogether. Despite the errors I found while reading, I enjoyed reading Sylvia's story and found her mannerisms to be inspirational.

It's rare that I am able to give a 4-star rating to a story that lacks seamlessly professional editing, however, What's Your Poison is a story that will stick with me for a long time and I am happy to give a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Although I can confidently say the story will only benefit from another round of editing, I would positively recommend this one to a wide range of readers. Although there is mention of drug use and explicit language, the author substituted the expletive words with symbols. Despite how the clinic center works tirelessly to help patients with their addiction, it's necessary to give a trigger warning to readers who may have previously, or currently are, struggling with substance or alcohol addiction.

What's Your Poison
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

The topic of addiction is always a tough one to tackle, either in a fictional story or in real life. I'm glad that Fostino handled it well in this fictional book that is rooted in reality. It's inexcusable for such a short book to lack proper editing but at least the storyline held its own. Thanks for the lovely review!
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

Wow! You must really have enjoyed every other aspect of this book to look past any errors and give the book 4 out of 4 stars. It sounds like Sylvia learned a lot along the way and I hope she was able to help poeple too. Thanks for your review!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a great, captivating read. Although there are some distracting errors, it didn't seem to detract too much from the storyline for you and for that reason I would still like to read this one. Thanks for this excellent review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I'm sure Sylvia's story gains in terms of authenticity considering that it is inspired by the author's personal experiences in a detox and rehabilitation center. Hopefully, the editing errors will be soon fixed. Thanks for a wonderful review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

The issues of substance and alcohol abuse affect all of us in one way or another. It may be something we come across in our neighborhood or within our own families? I am sure this book is very educational in its current form and am looking forward to reading it. Thanks so much for the great review.
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you all for checking it out! Her story is very inspiring. Addiction has such a huge impact on so many, it’s refreshing to see someone be able to offer a small light towards hope of overcoming.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Very well written review! I like that you were open about a topic that is difficult for many to talk about. I am interested in finding out about the storyline twists and how someone that has been sheltered to what addicts really experience through detox really sees. Putting this on my to-read list for certain.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Kourtney Bradley

Mounce574 wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 21:46 Very well written review! I like that you were open about a topic that is difficult for many to talk about. I am interested in finding out about the storyline twists and how someone that has been sheltered to what addicts really experience through detox really sees. Putting this on my to-read list for certain.
I’m so glad to hear that! I hope you enjoy it as well!☺️
–Vera Nazarian
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like Sylvia's character and her desire to serve the community. The addiction theme will attract many readers as it is so prevalent in today's society. I appreciated your concise recommendations. Great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”