Official Review: The Outmate by Victoria L Trenton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: The Outmate by Victoria L Trenton

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Outmate" by Victoria L Trenton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Chrissie locks eyes with Nick, her life changes forever. He is violent, oppressive, and beautiful; he quickly becomes her drug of choice. Chrissie's friends and family beg her not to get involved with a man who has such a violent past. Still, Chrissie is infatuated. When Nick is sentenced to twenty years for attempted murder, Chrissie is distraught. In a desperate attempt to hold onto him, she begins writing him letters and drives ten hours to visit him in prison. Even behind bars, his hold on her is unbreakable.

Love can make people do all sorts of crazy things, and Chrissie is quickly getting in way over her head by thrusting herself into a world of lies and evil acts. Is loving Nick worth risking her own life?

The Outmate by Victoria L. Trenton is about as dark and twisted as a dysfunctional love story can get. The author has created a chilling tale that outlines one woman's addiction to a violent criminal. The book is told from the first-person perspective. It follows Chrissie as she immerses herself in a modern-day Bonnie and Clyde story.

Due to the criminal nature of these characters, I can't say that they were at all relatable, but the character development was outstanding. Chrissie's deep-seated issues with control were thoroughly conveyed as she fully submitted herself to Nick. She would often refer to him as "my Lord" and endure painful beatings to appease him. The control he had over her could be compared to a drug user looking for their next fix. She said, "Being around him was like the best roller coaster I'd ever been on or the most addictive drug I'd ever done. I was hooked."

Although I deeply despised Nick's character, I think this was the author's intent. From the description of his muscle-bound body and his immense strength, the author made it clear that Nick was a menacing creature. The instances of his rage were so well-described that I felt Chrissie's fear and shivered every time Nick made an appearance.

The only thing that I didn't enjoy about The Outmate was the extreme violence. Some parts were so gruesome that I had to put the book down and walk away. My stomach churned as Chrissie was repeatedly punched, choked, and degraded by Nick. The one part that I found especially vile was when she was locked in a cage for days without food or water. While these parts were necessary to describe the gravity of the situation, I didn't enjoy the feelings of sheer panic emerging from my body as I read. For that reason alone, I chose to give the book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

The book was professionally edited, and I only noticed a few small errors which didn't interfere with the overall readability of the text. I would recommend The Outmate to readers who are looking for a fast-paced story about dysfunctional lovers. For fans of erotica, this book explores various sexual encounters, including BDSM. If you like stories that delve into the mind of a criminal, this book is right up your alley!

Please take caution before picking up this book. The Outmate is an extremely violent book, and I would not recommend it to young readers or readers with a weak stomach. The book contains sexually graphic content, profane language, and instances of cannibalism. I would highly discourage women who have been in abusive relationships from reading this book.

The Outmate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mutegude
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Mutegude »

Wow by reading the review alone I find myself intrigued as to why Chrissie was so attached to this Nick character. This is going on my reading list. Thanks for the review.
Stephanie Elizabeth

Mutegude wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 02:54 Wow by reading the review alone I find myself intrigued as to why Chrissie was so attached to this Nick character. This is going on my reading list. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for your comment!
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

Oh my! My heart goes out to Chrissie and I wonder how she could endure so much pain. I'm sure the target audience would like this story but I think I'll pass. Thanks for the review
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

I wonder why the girl hold on to the man like Nick? Great review.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

This book definitely isn't for me; thinking about this makes me sad enough already. Just hope Chrissie developed some self-respect to leave him by the end. Thanks for the review!
Stephanie Elizabeth

spluficvictory wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 14:48 Oh my! My heart goes out to Chrissie and I wonder how she could endure so much pain. I'm sure the target audience would like this story but I think I'll pass. Thanks for the review
Thanks for your comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

rumik wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 09:43 This book definitely isn't for me; thinking about this makes me sad enough already. Just hope Chrissie developed some self-respect to leave him by the end. Thanks for the review!
Thanks!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Quite interesting story in the book "The Outmate" by Victoria L Trenton, which follows Chrissie and Nick. Nick is violent, oppressive, and beautiful and in spite of Chrissie's friends and family begging her not to get involved with a man who has such a violent past, she does and lands in trouble. The story appears to be quite entertaining.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I just can't understand why a person would want to put themselves in that situation. I can understand the attraction at the beginning when she didn't really understand what he was capable of. However, I would think she would be trying to get away from him once she saw his cruelty. I don't think this book is for me. However, your review was intriguing! Thanks!
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Clearly Chrissie's character found something addictively titillating about being cast as a submissive, but from your impression, it does sound like certain scenes were potentially more graphic than was absolutely necessary to portray a believable level of gruesomely dysfunctional love. This one does pique my interest a bit, so thank you for the honest review!
Stephanie Elizabeth

AvidBibliophile wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 19:53 Clearly Chrissie's character found something addictively titillating about being cast as a submissive, but from your impression, it does sound like certain scenes were potentially more graphic than was absolutely necessary to portray a believable level of gruesomely dysfunctional love. This one does pique my interest a bit, so thank you for the honest review!
Thank you!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Prisallen wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 09:24 I just can't understand why a person would want to put themselves in that situation. I can understand the attraction at the beginning when she didn't really understand what he was capable of. However, I would think she would be trying to get away from him once she saw his cruelty. I don't think this book is for me. However, your review was intriguing! Thanks!
Thanks for your comment!
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

This definitely doesn't sound like an easy read. It's probably not the book for me, but I can see the appeal of diving deep into the darkest corners of our minds. Thank for the review!
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I really don't mind darkness in books. I usually find it intriguing, in fact. This though? No...just...no. This goes way beyond dark and into...I don't even have a name for something that low. Nick, I'm certain just from your description of him and events in the book, should have gotten the death penalty or at the very least life with no possibility of parole, not just twenty years. As always, your review brings the book to life. Thank you!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”