Review by Letora -- Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Letora -- Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Debt Cleanse" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many people deal with debt every day of their lives. But what can you do when it becomes so bad that you can barely survive? Debt Cleanse is a book that may be able to help you overcome crushing debt. The book is broken down into easy to read sections. There is an overview of creditors and a quick start guide to initiate your cleanse. The author will then guide you through the various kinds of debt, and the specific steps you should take to fight against it. Along the way, the author will help you realize how you fell into debt.

What I appreciate about this book, is that Jorge P. Newbery is upfront and honest about his techniques. He warns that you will damage your credit and will not be able to have anything as collateral in your name. This is a risky technique, but it can also be rewarding to those who are in huge amounts of debt. The author himself stated that he was millions of dollars in debt when he started to develop a way to cleanse it.

There is a sense of community that is felt as you read Debt Cleanse. An entire website has been created in addition to the book, and the reader is referenced to it many times. It can be hard to stand up against creditors pounding on your door, but you shouldn't have to be alone in the process. In the book, there is also a list of lawyers you can contact that are familiar with the techniques. Letter templates are also written into the book to enable readers to correctly contact each type of creditor they are facing.

This book is also backed by hard facts. At the end of each debt section, there is a list of references. These include articles, cases and even laws that can help you reach financial freedom. The author does warn that every person's case is different, and there are no guaranteed results. It all depends on the creditors and who may buy the loans from them.

I am concerned about how this technique urges the reader to save money. It continuously says to stop paying your debt and put the money away to save for legal fees. If you can't afford your debt, how can you afford to put the money away? There is the option to take money out of a community fund that is on the website, but what if there are not enough funds there for you? I would be concerned that going into the litigation and trials, a person in debt would not be able to afford it and end up in a worse situation than what they currently have.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. While the book has a wealth of information and resources, there is a big flaw with the techniques. You may end up in worse debt than when you started. The author also tends to have run-on sentences by using commas too often. I also found instances where there were either missing words or extra words in sentences.

I do not believe this book, or technique is for everyone. I would only recommend this book to those who are millions of dollars in debt like the author. If you have a few small loans, it's not worth it to damage your credit by utilizing this technique. This book does not contain any vulgar or profane language. It also does not contain anything that would be considered erotic.

Debt Cleanse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

It sounds like the book provides a novel approach for those drowning in debt, though people with small debts may not benefit as much. Thanks for the review!
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

Seems like a very interesting book about an uncoventional and somewhat controversial method, but with a huge potential to help these who need it. It also sounds like the author does a good job in explaining his method and in backing up his arguments. Thank you for a great review!
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

You did a great job pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of this book. Bravo! :D
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

This book sounds like one I can do with. I have always found debt unavoidable and growing so I hope I can learn some tips. Tanks for the wonderful review.
Letora

Post by Letora »

Tomah wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 11:44 It sounds like the book provides a novel approach for those drowning in debt, though people with small debts may not benefit as much. Thanks for the review!
Very true! Thank you for stopping by to read my review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

This is the second review of this book I'm reading. I'm still shocked at Newberry's unconventional and risky method for dealing with debts. It might just land some people in jail. Nonetheless, I hope it works out for those who decide to try it out. I won't be one of them. Great review!
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

Wonderful review! This book deserves to be read.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I'm not sure I agree with the author about how to get rid of the debt. My thoughts are to cut out every possible thing I can do without and use that money to pay it off. I realize that some people are so deep in debt that this might not work very well. But, most companies are willing to work with you, if they know that you are paying something. However, saving your money to pay legal fees instead of the money you owe, to me, is just not right. Thanks for a great review!
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

Yikes! This method of debt cleansing makes me nervous. I totally agree with you that it wouldn't be for most people. I don't think ruining your credit for a few thousand dollars would be worth it. There are other more acceptable solutions. However, if someone was so much in debt, like the author, this method might work for them. Thanks for the thoughtful review!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Debt is such a thing one cannot survive with it for too long. Hope this nice self help book gives some tips to come out of it. Thanks for your nice review though.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Letora

Post by Letora »

SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 14:37 Seems like a very interesting book about an uncoventional and somewhat controversial method, but with a huge potential to help these who need it. It also sounds like the author does a good job in explaining his method and in backing up his arguments. Thank you for a great review!
Thank you for stopping by to read my review! There is indeed a wealth of information if people want to dive deeper and research what the author is discussing.
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

I recently read this book myself and I completely agree with you in that these techniques will most likely not work for everyone. While I didn't have any problem with the writing, you seemed not to like it very much. Makes me wonder as to why you chose to give it three stars instead of two.
But great review, either way :)
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

Since encountering Newbery's first work, Burn Zones, I became a fan. Though the methods he prescribed in this book are not for everyone, readers can learn a thing or two about dealing with debt. This is an awesome review.
Letora

Post by Letora »

Juliet+1 wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 22:21 You did a great job pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of this book. Bravo! :D
Thank you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”