Official Review: Forever Will End: Gospel of Chaos Book One

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Forever Will End: Gospel of Chaos Book One

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Forever Will End: Gospel of Chaos Book One" by Dom Brandt.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kasen lives in the Slum District of Evenrise, a city consisting solely of Apparitions (those humans with special powers meant to protect and govern). He isn't happy with the current state of society, as it's divided into classes where the less fortunate are, at best, forgotten. He is a thief, stealing from those that are slightly more fortunate than him in order to please Chantel, his boss. He and his friend Vonnie resolve to change the order of society.

Meanwhile, there is a faction of Feral (leftovers from an army of darkness) that would like to see the downfall of Evenrise. They want to be rulers and will stop at nothing to gain the power they seek. With all of Evenrise divided already, will anyone be able to stand against them?

Forever Will End: The Gospel of Chaos Series - Book One by Dom Brandt is a science fiction novel of around 200 pages. The chapters aren't long, and the book can be read in a rather short amount of time. There is violence and language; along with the dark themes present in the plot, I wouldn't recommend this story to young adults.

On the positive side of things, the book was full of action, and I had no trouble finishing it. There's plenty of fighting to keep wandering minds engaged. Also, the author introduces us to unique concepts like Apparitions and Ferals, which helped to capture my interest.

Though I believe the book has plenty of potential, there are drawbacks that distracted from the book's possibilities. The first of which was the odd characters, one of whom was obsessed with playing hide and seek. I wondered if the author was trying to insert some levity into a serious novel; however, it didn't work because I didn't understand why she was that way. The people needed more background or more explanation and detail of their motivations. Without this, I couldn't relate to them.

In addition, the book was less suspenseful than it should have been. Mr. Brandt dropped hints throughout the novel about what was to come. These were not obscure moments of foreshadowing but rather statements of what was to come. For example, in discussing a couple of the main characters, the narrator says that "they were to one day face, and ultimately destroy, Evil."

Furthermore, there were holes in the plot. It's implied that specific individuals knew each other. Sadly, though, we never learn how that is. It was irksome and distracting. Since this is a book one, it can't be that these details are given in an earlier novel. Perhaps, the author plans to expound on the relationships later, but there were scenes that didn't make sense because we didn't know how the characters related.

Lastly, the book isn't professionally edited. I found the first ten errors quite quickly. It was mostly missing or extra punctuation, missing words, and misspelled character names. Moreso, the author waffled between past and present tense, seeming to be unsure of which he wanted to use.

I liked the thought of this story, but it needs rewriting before it's truly great. Therefore, I give Forever Will End: The Gospel of Chaos Series 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend it for anyone that likes action (and violence) oriented science fiction novels that can overlook errors and missing pieces. The good news is that, though this is the first in a series, the significant points are wrapped up without too much of a cliffhanger. Still, there is obviously more to come. As is, however, I doubt I'll pick up the next book.

Forever Will End: Gospel of Chaos Book One
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

I don't know about you, but it always takes me a bit to get into a book when there are fantasized names, like the faction of Feral. It sounds like an interesting story, or at least an attempt at one. I don't like how the author dropped hints throughout the book. It leaves very little to imagination. Thanks for your honest review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

tristenb wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 12:13 I don't know about you, but it always takes me a bit to get into a book when there are fantasized names, like the faction of Feral. It sounds like an interesting story, or at least an attempt at one. I don't like how the author dropped hints throughout the book. It leaves very little to imagination. Thanks for your honest review!
Yes, it can be hard to get into a book like this. I did like the idea of the story. Thanks for your comments.
—Neil Gaiman
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

I like your review of the book, you took it apart very well. I'm an aspiring writer, and reading this tells me exactly what to be aware of when putting together a story.
It seems like the author had a fine idea but hurried with the characters to make the plot happen. I can't like a book with two-dimensional characters, either.
I'd like to ask this though--how did you find the worldbuilding? A lot of authors do a hurried job of it and leave behind gaping holes in the plot; that's definitely one of my pet peeves as a reader!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Well developed characters are what make a story for me. I want to know their history and how they became who they are. I would find it hard to connect to the characters of this book as well. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

I like the idea of the story. I'm sure with another round of editing and good character development, it should be what it's supposed to be from the beginning. Thanks for sharing
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

La Cabra wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 23:30 I like your review of the book, you took it apart very well. I'm an aspiring writer, and reading this tells me exactly what to be aware of when putting together a story.
It seems like the author had a fine idea but hurried with the characters to make the plot happen. I can't like a book with two-dimensional characters, either.
I'd like to ask this though--how did you find the worldbuilding? A lot of authors do a hurried job of it and leave behind gaping holes in the plot; that's definitely one of my pet peeves as a reader!
The world building was pretty good. The holes were mostly due to character issues. I wish you the best of luck in your writing! Thanks for your comments.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Letora wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 06:14 Well developed characters are what make a story for me. I want to know their history and how they became who they are. I would find it hard to connect to the characters of this book as well. Great review!
I agree. Characters can really make or break the book. I do think the author can tweak this and make it better. Thanks for stopping by.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

spluficvictory wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 06:58 I like the idea of the story. I'm sure with another round of editing and good character development, it should be what it's supposed to be from the beginning. Thanks for sharing
Yes. This definitely can be fixed. I do hope the author edits it. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

It's good to have unique characters, like the Apparitions and Feral in a story as they capture the reader's interest. However, the like of suspense as is the case with this one, is a bit of a let down. Thanks for the wonderful review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Wyland wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 06:10 It's good to have unique characters, like the Apparitions and Feral in a story as they capture the reader's interest. However, the like of suspense as is the case with this one, is a bit of a let down. Thanks for the wonderful review.
I agree. It definitely can be revised. I hope the author does so. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

It sounds like the story needs some more character development, especially as to they relate to each other. Since i like exciting sci-fi storylines, I may have to check out this book anyway. Thanks for your excellent review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Jsovermyer wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 20:41 It sounds like the story needs some more character development, especially as to they relate to each other. Since i like exciting sci-fi storylines, I may have to check out this book anyway. Thanks for your excellent review.
I do hope that you find the book interesting! It has potential, but I don't think it's fully realized. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Thanks for the review. I'm not a big fan of science-fiction anyway, but even if I was, I'm not sure I'd be choosing to read this one. Doesn't sound great.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 11:57 Thanks for the review. I'm not a big fan of science-fiction anyway, but even if I was, I'm not sure I'd be choosing to read this one. Doesn't sound great.
I completely understand. Science fiction isn't enjoyed by everyone. Thanks for commenting, though.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”