Official Review: Solar Knights by Adam Moymy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Official Review: Solar Knights by Adam Moymy

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Solar Knights" by Adam Moymy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Solar Knights by Adam Moymy follows the story of Lucian and his friends, a team of treasure hunters, who travel the universe collecting artifacts. It is on one of their missions that they are discovered and caught by Grandmaster Kairos, the leader of the Solar Knights. The Solar Knights are charged with maintaining order in the universe and creating a better world for mankind. The treasure hunters are forced to join up with the Solar Knights as punishment. This leads Lucian and his friends across space, participating in battles, fighting zombies and traitorous rulers in order to protect the empire.

This book is extremely interesting and unique. It takes readers on a space chase through different empires. It has plagues, zombies, monsters, and rival rulers. The author did a great job of putting together an action-packed and entertaining tale. However, there were lots of characters in this book, and I found it difficult to keep track of all the story lines at times. I can see how a second read-through of this novel would be beneficial. A key with character names and descriptions could have been helpful as well.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. I was invested in the main characters and cared what happened to them. My favorite part of this book was the dynamic of the rogue team of quasi-criminals. I found their group to be comical and authentic. The characters worked well together and created an interesting story line. My biggest complaint about this book is the editing. There were so many spelling errors and missing apostrophes. I found it extremely distracting.

I think fans of science fiction and space action novels will really enjoy this book. It did get a bit violent at times. There were a few battle scenes, and some blood and gore was described. For that reason, it would not be suitable for very young readers.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is an original story line with a very detailed plot. However, there were far too many editing errors. Also, the large cast of characters made for a tiring read at times. I understand that this is the first book in a series and likely served as an introduction of the cast for future novels. I might continue reading the series. I only hope future books are edited more thoroughly. Still, I would recommend science fiction fans give this book a try. I think you'll be pleased.

Solar Knights
View: on Bookshelves
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

It sounds like there is a lot going on in this story with lots of characters. It may be a book I would enjoy, but I may wait for an updated, better edited version. Thanks for your review.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

Perhaps this wouldn't be so bad if the author would have taken more time to develop the characters so they were easy to keep track of. But, like you said, it was likely a base for what is to come in the rest of the series. The plot doesn't seem that interesting to me, so I don't think I will read it. However, thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I read this one as well. I found it needed a bit of work. I'm glad you found it to your liking. Your review was interesting to read. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jyockel08
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jyockel08 »

My biggest struggle with science fiction is usually tying to keep track of all the character, places and new terminology they introduce. I usually have to make myself a cheat sheet and start over again.
Great Review!
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

The theme sounds provocative and intriguing. I enjoy a good science fiction story. This sounds like a story I can really sink my teeth into. Thanks for the great review.
Sandra K Pearson
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Post by Sandra K Pearson »

Zombies and space travel seem a little strange together. Its sounds like the author pulled it off though, I'd like to read this one.
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Jorge Luis Borjes
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds like an interesting premise. The overload of characters and the spelling mistakes would frustrate me, though. I enjoyed your insights on this book. Great review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”