Official Review: Freiheit by Ben Pickering

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: Freiheit by Ben Pickering

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Freiheit" by Ben Pickering.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Freiheit by Ben Pickering is a historical sci-fi thriller with a time travel twist. Sustained financially by a trust fund inherited from his father, James Curtis spends his time stealing back expensive artworks from rich thieves to return them to their rightful owners. During his escape after acquiring a painting from a Russian oligarch, he crashes his Ferrari and winds up with the Russian FSB, the former KGB. After some rough treatment in their custody, Colonel Arnold Crombie arrives with a proposal for Curtis. The proposal involves scientists at the CERN facility in Geneva, and some untested time travel bracelets awaiting human guinea pigs. After sending Curtis and another man, Luka Rothstein, one day into the past, they use the technique of Trans-Animate Displacement to send the two men back to May 12th, 1941, during World War II. Curtis soon learns that messing with the past can have disastrous consequences...

Freiheit caught my attention immediately with its bold, brilliant cover, featuring a metal time bracelet lying in the snow below frosted mountain peaks, and the excellent tag line: “What if Hitler never lived?” The combination of Hitler, war, and time travel hooked me immediately. The title Freiheit means “freedom” or “liberty,” which had special significance throughout the story. The plot, based on a screenplay by Darren Ripley and Ben Pickering, was very cinematic in scope, from the concept to its scale, action, and geography.

Beautifully written and edited, this book was rich in historical detail, setting the scene with an in-depth background for people, events, and locations. One possible negative for thriller fans was the amount of historical detail between action sequences. This did slow down the main plot a little, but those with a keen interest in history, particularly Nazi Germany, will find this book fascinating. Pickering did give his story plenty of context through this factual detail, without which I would have been lost.

Given the book’s focus on time travel, one character’s few Back to the Future references provided some good comic relief. Pickering also presented an interesting and realistic portrayal of an alternate reality based on a history-changing event in the past. I found myself intrigued as he fleshed out this complex and detailed history from the simple “What if...?” posed by the book’s cover. The new reality seemed compelling and authentic, evolving from realistic assumptions and decisions made by the powerful people who shaped it.

There were a few slightly questionable English phrases in this book, such as: “...on the by then fractured Eastern Front...” I also found some minor typographical errors, including homophone errors and single missed words. However, I really enjoyed this novel and would recommend it equally to fans of historical fiction, science fiction, and action – provided the latter aren’t deterred by somewhat lengthy history lessons. It contained some profanity but no sex scenes. Due to its minor errors, I can only rate Freiheit 3 out of 4 stars. Apart from these errors, however, it was a 4-star book, an excellent début novel by an author with a real passion for science, history, geography, and culture.

Freiheit
View: on Bookshelves
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This definitely sounds like an interesting book. I love it when a fiction author is able to weave real history into their books.
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I agree this book has a catchy cover and tagline. I'd be interested to read and see what happens. Getting rid of Hilter would definitely change history drastically.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do love a good time travel novel, though sometimes it's too cerebral for me. I also like Nazi Germany, and I'm curious how the author brings this all together. Thanks for the great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

Wow, this book seems right up my alley! Thank you so much for the well-written review, it was very information and I think I will check out the book because of it :)
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

esp1975 wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 17:33 This definitely sounds like an interesting book. I love it when a fiction author is able to weave real history into their books.
Some fantastic historical detail in this book, which is also very entertaining as a thriller. Thanks for your comments!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Helene_2008 wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 20:03 I agree this book has a catchy cover and tagline. I'd be interested to read and see what happens. Getting rid of Hilter would definitely change history drastically.
It was definitely the cover and the tag line that hooked me - and I wasn't disappointed. An enthralling read. Thanks!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 20:38 I do love a good time travel novel, though sometimes it's too cerebral for me. I also like Nazi Germany, and I'm curious how the author brings this all together. Thanks for the great review.
This is a really good combination of time travel and historical detail, without making it too complicated. Sounds like you would enjoy this one. Thanks!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

reneelu1998 wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 23:44 Wow, this book seems right up my alley! Thank you so much for the well-written review, it was very information and I think I will check out the book because of it :)
Excellent! I'm glad you are keen to check out the book after reading my review. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Thanks.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I like the reference to"Back to the Future" to illustrate exactly the what-if scenario. I'm not really a fan of science fiction and the historical depth that the book goes into is not my preference so I will be passing on this BOTD.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Bookworme
Favorite Book: The Bean Trees
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Bookworme »

:shifty:

I’m a little unsure about this book based off the title but I’m hoping it’s a good one. So many times authors have a tendency to write things that are one sided and it’s so disappointing.

Here’s hoping.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

What if Hitler never lived? That's a question that can easily convince to check out a book. Pretty excited for this!
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I love historical fiction and time travel. This sounds intriguing. Thanks for your review!
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

This novel sounds like it has something for everyone. It is a historical, science fiction with some added thrills and time travel. I appreciate that there is lots of wonderful historical detail. Congrats on the book of the day! Great review.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I normally don't like non-spiritual historical fiction, but my adoration for tales of time travel is stronger, so I think I'll read this and see what happens to James and the world as a whole. Thanks so much for the intro!
Last edited by MsTri on 31 Dec 2019, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”