Official Review: The Other Gloria by L. A. Villafane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: The Other Gloria by L. A. Villafane

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Other Gloria" by L. A. Villafane.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The year is 2019. Gloria had divorced her abusive husband and was married to Rick. This morning, Gloria woke up in the year 2003, in bed with Charles, her ex. Her two girls were still babies. Was this just a dream? How could she get out of this nightmare and back to Rick? Maybe she could find Rick and convince him that they would meet and marry in the future. She ran the risk that he would not believe her. He might even think she was crazy. If that plan didn’t work, was she condemned to relive the abuse that her husband dished out? Could she go through that again?

The Other Gloria by L. A. Villafane is a C/T/M/H novel. The PDF version I read had 339 double-spaced pages. The thirty-one chapters alternated between the years 2003 and 2017-2019. Gloria has been diagnosed with a dissociative disorder as the result of spousal abuse. She has nightmares and has lost most of her memories. In her confusion, she is aware that she must find the “other Gloria” who holds all the memories she can’t seem to access. Will she have the strength to confront the “other Gloria” so she can remember her daughters’ childhoods?

I was fascinated with the alternating chapters and how they moved fluidly between Gloria’s past and present. The reader is tasked with connecting Gloria’s story by understanding her two realities. The dates of the chapters continued to close the gap until the cathartic moment arrived when Gloria accepted hypnotherapy to meet with the “other Gloria.” There were a few times when I had to check the date at the beginning of the chapter to remember which “reality” the chapter presented. The author did an excellent job of creating an environment of tension and fear in 2003 when Gloria was still living with her abusive husband. The development of the daughters and their awareness of their father’s abusive behavior increased the emotional impact of the story.

The scenes describing Charles’s abusive behavior were hard to read. The vivid descriptions of Charles’s anger and how he manifested that rage, along with Gloria’s pain and suffering are strong and powerful. Her flashbacks of the way Charles treated her made my skin crawl. Anyone who has been in an abusive relationship might be triggered by these passages. I disliked finding twelve errors in this book. The majority of errors were misspelled words like “breath” for “breathe.”

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author had me hooked on the plot from the very beginning. The dialogues between Gloria and Charles portrayed a dysfunctional marriage. In contrast, her conversations with Rick were hopeful and sweet as they both searched for a new beginning. I recommend this book to anyone looking for a compelling mystery or a psychological thriller. This author plays with your mind. The book contained very little profanity and a moderate amount of scenes portraying violent and abusive behavior towards women.

The Other Gloria
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

What a truly heart-wrenching premise; I honestly teared up thinking about Gloria's plight. I think I have to read this. Thanks for the beautifully written review!
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

Wow! I'm instantly intrigued by the premise of this book. I can't imagine everything that Gloria has been through. I'm adding this to my want to read list. Thanks for the great review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 06:37 What a truly heart-wrenching premise; I honestly teared up thinking about Gloria's plight. I think I have to read this. Thanks for the beautifully written review!
Yes, you will feel many emotions when you read this book. It makes me wonder how common this could be in real life. Thanks for commenting. I hope you enjoy the book.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

tristenb wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 13:12 Wow! I'm instantly intrigued by the premise of this book. I can't imagine everything that Gloria has been through. I'm adding this to my want to read list. Thanks for the great review!
I was intrigued by the book's blurb, and the story really came through! Gloria's dilemma will make you think about relationships and reality. Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by.
Alexandra1234
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra1234.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Alexandra1234 »

This is right up my alley. Instantly got hooked by Gloria's story. Very well-written review. I'm sure I will read it as soon as possible.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Alexandra1234 wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 05:30 This is right up my alley. Instantly got hooked by Gloria's story. Very well-written review. I'm sure I will read it as soon as possible.
Oh! Thank you for the kind words. I hope you like it. Thanks for commenting.
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

Wow, that sounds so... I don't even know how to describe the emotion... I started trembling just from reading your review. Thank you so much for your review and for introducing this powerful book.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 14:45 Wow, that sounds so... I don't even know how to describe the emotion... I started trembling just from reading your review. Thank you so much for your review and for introducing this powerful book.
I read through this book in record time. It really keeps you interested. I hope you will have a chance to read Gloria's story, too. Thanks for commenting!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like an amazing book, but my heart goes out to Gloria (although that would mean that the author did a fantastic job, isn't it). Thanks for the lovely review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

gen_g wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 04:46 This sounds like an amazing book, but my heart goes out to Gloria (although that would mean that the author did a fantastic job, isn't it). Thanks for the lovely review!
Yes! The author did an amazing job. She draws readers into Gloria's world and makes you keep turning the pages until you reach the end! Thanks for reading and commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

What an intriguing storytelling approach. I have to admit I'm not usually into these sorts of stories, but this one sounds really promising. Thanks for the review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Tomah wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 11:38 What an intriguing storytelling approach. I have to admit I'm not usually into these sorts of stories, but this one sounds really promising. Thanks for the review!
This author wrote in a compelling and unique manner. I liked the way she kept your thinking as she slowly let out pieces of the story. Thanks for stopping by!
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

Your review is awesome. While this book has an interesting premise, I think I'll pass. I don't appreciate abusive behaviors especially if it's directed to women. Thanks for the review
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

spluficvictory wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 07:55 Your review is awesome. While this book has an interesting premise, I think I'll pass. I don't appreciate abusive behaviors especially if it's directed to women. Thanks for the review
I understand your feelings. Thanks for reading and commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”