Official Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)" by Barry Litherland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Maybe if we hadn't gone to his house that afternoon, maybe if we didn't want to play football, maybe if Wayne hadn't taken my ball--but we did those things, and Stevie is dead."

In Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland, Wayne and Phil witness the death of a childhood friend. Now that they are adults, Phil questions the friendship that often seems one-sided in light of Wayne's reckless behavior, but a bond has been formed. Phil is surprised when Wayne reconnects with another friend from childhood, Tina. As the story unfolds, the past comes back to haunt them. Wayne is arrested as a suspect for burglary, and Phil receives menacing visits from unsavory characters, who are convinced that he can get his hands on the mysterious JAYDEE file. Phil fears he and his friends are in danger, especially when Wayne's older brother, Tyrone, resurfaces.

Litherland pairs a page-turning plot and a cast of well-developed characters to create a thrilling mystery with a hint of humor. It is written in the first-person narrative from Phil's perspective, and the timeline alternates from his childhood years to the present. Both the alternating timeline and the editing are executed flawlessly. The suspenseful plot traverses themes of friendship, betrayal, murder, violence, suspicion, and loyalty.

I most like Litherland's portrayal of Phil; he is humorously self-deprecating and resorts to sarcasm as a defense mechanism. The text is peppered with witty descriptions from Phil, such as: "I reckon he must've been born partially arrogant, because by the time he's nine, it's fully formed. Twenty years later, he's overflowing with it. He's lying in a bath of arrogance and watching it flop over the sides and onto the floor." Wayne first comes across as an unlikeable and unsympathetic character, but he eventually reveals more depth. I also appreciate the presence of a strong female character; Tina is intelligent, resourceful, and supportive.

On the other hand, I dislike the excessive use of R-rated profanity that begins on the first page and continues throughout the book. I appreciate that Litherland seeks to portray realistic dialogues through the colorful language, but he seems to go overboard.

Despite the excessive profanity, Litherland delivers a suspenseful story that will keep readers guessing until the end. I rate Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to fans of mysteries and crime thrillers. It will also appeal to those who appreciate the nostalgia of stories involving childhood friendships. However, sensitive readers who dislike profanity and plot-related violence may prefer to pass on this one.

Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

Sounds like a slice-of-life mystery that would make an entertaining read for older twenty-somethings. I like characters like Wayne, at first seemingly unlikable but grow on you with time. Profanity seems quite commonplace among adult novels. I wonder, is this is a relatively recent trend in writing or has it always been the case?
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I've had my fair share of onesided friendships, so I can relate to Phil in that aspect. As thrilling as the story sounds, I wouldn't be able to handle the excessive profanity. I'll have to pass. Nonetheless, superb review!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

The first line of your review immediately hooked me. Is this the actual first line of the book? I do have to say, the overuse of profanity would most likely make me put the book down. I don't mind profanity in books, but not if it is just used for the sake of it. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

This is a wonderful review! I think you have assessed correctly the book, stating clearly your opinion on it. Great work!
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

Great review 👍. The first quote really piqued my interest. I don't mind profanity in adult books as long as it has a great plot with interesting characters I can relate with. Like you too, I also appreciate the presence of a strong female character Tina. This book would make a lovely read.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

La Cabra wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 01:50 Sounds like a slice-of-life mystery that would make an entertaining read for older twenty-somethings. I like characters like Wayne, at first seemingly unlikable but grow on you with time. Profanity seems quite commonplace among adult novels. I wonder, is this is a relatively recent trend in writing or has it always been the case?
Thanks for your comment. I personally feel the amount of profanity in books has increased in recent years.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ever_Reading wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 03:06 I've had my fair share of onesided friendships, so I can relate to Phil in that aspect. As thrilling as the story sounds, I wouldn't be able to handle the excessive profanity. I'll have to pass. Nonetheless, superb review!
I understand. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Letora wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 05:29 The first line of your review immediately hooked me. Is this the actual first line of the book? I do have to say, the overuse of profanity would most likely make me put the book down. I don't mind profanity in books, but not if it is just used for the sake of it. Great review!
It's a great line, but it isn't the beginning of the book. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nickolas Farmakis wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 07:23 This is a wonderful review! I think you have assessed correctly the book, stating clearly your opinion on it. Great work!
Thank you, Nickolas.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

spluficvictory wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 10:33 Great review 👍. The first quote really piqued my interest. I don't mind profanity in adult books as long as it has a great plot with interesting characters I can relate with. Like you too, I also appreciate the presence of a strong female character Tina. This book would make a lovely read.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. I think this would be an awesome mystery to read. I think that excessive profanity takes away from the story. I am not sure that I will read this one.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Miller56 wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 20:21 Thanks for the review. I think this would be an awesome mystery to read. I think that excessive profanity takes away from the story. I am not sure that I will read this one.
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
Avonlea
Favorite Book: Sense and Sensibility
Currently Reading: The Power of a Positive No
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avonlea.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Post by Avonlea »

Great review :D .

Having read Litherland’s book, I agree that it has a page-turning plot and well developed characters. Once I started reading, I found it difficult to put the book down.

Like you, I think the author’s portrayal of Phil is one of the most enjoyable parts of the novel. Phil’s personality and sarcasm allows the author to inject believable moments of humour into this story of crime and suspense. I agree Phil’s first-person narrative is skillfully executed by the author to great effect.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

This book sounds very gripping! I love stories with crime and suspense like this one. Since it talks about memories of their childhood and the present, it remembers me the book It by Stephen King. Another one of my favorites. Also, well developed characters are always a good reason to read a book. Thanks for the informative review! Great job.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”