Official Review: I wasn’t even looking!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Official Review: I wasn’t even looking!

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I wasn’t even looking!" by Lana Beaudoin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I wasn’t even looking!, by Lana Beaudoin, is an interesting tale of modern-day romance set in the late ‘90s. The author conveys how, as a recently divorced woman, she happened to stumble upon a dating ad online. Curious, Lana started an exchange of emails that would last for years and change her life forever. All of that happened when she wasn’t even looking!

The book is divided into eight chapters, most of which display the emails Lana and her husband Greg wrote to one another. The author also writes about their dates and what was going on in her life at the time. I enjoyed the casual, conversational tone throughout the book that kept me invested in the story. It was particularly amusing and relatable to see how Lana felt insecure immediately after sending an email, wondering if she made a bad impression or asked the wrong thing.

Your enjoyment will depend on how you feel about the main “gimmick” of the book: the emails. On the one hand, this storytelling approach feels authentic, giving us an intimate view of a budding relationship; on the other hand, it can make the book feel dry and hard to connect to, especially when several emails are shown right next to each other without breaks.

It can also be frustrating to read about several events without getting to witness them ourselves. For example, the emails talk about the birthday celebrations they’re preparing, but we never see what actually happened; we only read their emails afterward. Overall, some extra content would’ve made the book more interesting and dynamic.

There are a few typographical errors in the book, though I’m unsure whether to count the errors in the emails. A few formatting issues also show up from time to time, mostly missing or extraneous line breaks in paragraphs. These problems aren’t particularly egregious, but the book should still go through another round of editing.

I wasn’t even looking! is a relatable love story that should appeal to divorced women and readers who enjoy reading about online romance. For better or worse, the book does exactly what it proposes: show the trail of emails that led to Greg and Lana’s marriage. If you think that’s boring, then look elsewhere. Since it’s a short book that can be read in one sitting, you might want to give it a chance if the topic seems interesting. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars, deducting a point for the editing issues and the lack of personal stories to complement the emails. There are only minor profanities, so the book can be read by anyone, but adults should appreciate it the most.

I wasn’t even looking!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

In the age of Tinder and the like, it's quite hard to imagine falling in love over email. However, I'm glad it worked for the author and her husband back in their day. I don't think I'd enjoy this book. Nonetheless, thanks for the honest review.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Their love story sounds really sweet. But I doubt I will enjoy a book of email exchanges between two lovers. Thanks for your review, though.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Michelle Fred wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 06:01 Their love story sounds really sweet. But I doubt I will enjoy a book of email exchanges between two lovers. Thanks for your review, though.
Ever_Reading wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 12:55 In the age of Tinder and the like, it's quite hard to imagine falling in love over email. However, I'm glad it worked for the author and her husband back in their day. I don't think I'd enjoy this book. Nonetheless, thanks for the honest review.
Indeed, it's not everyone's cup of tea. Thanks for the comments!
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

The love story with the use of emails sounds refreshing from the usual format. I'm not a romance reader but I think this has an appeal to those who are. Great review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Charlyt wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 02:00 The love story with the use of emails sounds refreshing from the usual format. I'm not a romance reader but I think this has an appeal to those who are. Great review!
It's certainly an unusual choice. Thanks for the comment!
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

I think this seems like an interesting story. I spent a lot of time instant messaging my husband since we are from two different countries. While I still have all of our messages, I don't think I would ever publish them. It seems very personal, so I appreciate the author and her husband being okay with sharing their stories.

I totally agree with you. It seems the book needs a few more stories to tie all of the emails together. It would leave the reader more fulfilled.

Thanks for your review! I think I'm going to put this in my want to read section.
Bambiears
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bambiears.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Bambiears »

This seems to be a book for those who like to sneak into siblings diarys and the like. While there was a point that person was me, I feel like that age may have come to a close. :) Thank you for the time invested in this reveiw.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I love to live in the moment with novels. I much prefer begin shown instead of told what happens in a book. I think the emails would drive me a bit crazy not actually seeing what happens to the characters. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Bambiears wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 20:50 This seems to be a book for those who like to sneak into siblings diarys and the like. While there was a point that person was me, I feel like that age may have come to a close. :) Thank you for the time invested in this reveiw.
Letora wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 06:08 I love to live in the moment with novels. I much prefer begin shown instead of told what happens in a book. I think the emails would drive me a bit crazy not actually seeing what happens to the characters. Great review!
tristenb wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 12:26 I think this seems like an interesting story. I spent a lot of time instant messaging my husband since we are from two different countries. While I still have all of our messages, I don't think I would ever publish them. It seems very personal, so I appreciate the author and her husband being okay with sharing their stories.

I totally agree with you. It seems the book needs a few more stories to tie all of the emails together. It would leave the reader more fulfilled.

Thanks for your review! I think I'm going to put this in my want to read section.
Ah, yes, the good old times of snooping. I remember seeing a few private messages from my sister once... or twice. Indeed, some "show, don't tell" would benefit the book.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I am actually amazed that dating ads work. I think I would enjoy reading this one. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Wyland wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 05:05 I am actually amazed that dating ads work. I think I would enjoy reading this one. Thanks for the wonderful review.
That's a good point. I suppose old-school methods stick around for good reasons. Thanks for the comment!
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

Love stories can either be cute or boring. This one sounds cute. I like the way the two characters contacted each other. Nice review as always!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 11:32 Love stories can either be cute or boring. This one sounds cute. I like the way the two characters contacted each other. Nice review as always!
It's a rather wholesome love story. Thanks for the comment!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I can identify with Lana and questioning saying the right thing in an email. Once you hit the send button, it's on the cloud forever! I enjoyed your review! Thanks.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”