Official Review: The House on Camp Ruby Road by Twyla Ellis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: The House on Camp Ruby Road by Twyla Ellis

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The House on Camp Ruby Road" by Twyla Ellis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Eden is devastated when her mother died as she was her only known family. After finding out shortly afterward that a large, two-story house and property in Two Rivers, Texas, has been willed to her, she is mystified. Subsequently, she journeys there to find out why. Not long after arriving at the house, Eden starts seeing and hearing unusual things but stubbornly refuses to allow it to frighten her off.

Eden meets Nub and Miss Alma upon arrival. Miss Alma is an elderly, black woman who has been told she can live in the house for the rest of her life. She took care of the previous mistress and knows the history but has promised not to divulge the secrets. Soon afterward, Eden meets Afton, a young, white woman who has been hired to help take care of the house.

Eden searches for information that will tell her where she came from and why the house belongs to her. Her property is on the edge of the Big Thicket, a wild area where the “bottom landers” dwell. These are poor people who live off the land and hate the “towners,” the people living in town. There are members of both groups who are very dangerous, including Afton’s father. Eden keeps getting warned to stay out of the Big Thicket as it is hazardous. However, she doesn’t consistently do as she is advised and has to be rescued by J.D. soon after arriving.

The House on Camp Ruby Road by Twyla Ellis is the first of a series entitled Ghosts of the Big Thicket. These are standalone novels set in the Big Thicket of deep East Texas, which is where the author grew up. This book takes place in 1963 and is a combination of a mystery, thriller, romance, and ghost story. It deals with prejudice toward people of another color and between the rich and poor as well. The novel captured my attention on the first page of the prologue and held it until the last page of the epilogue. The tale was riveting, moving quickly from one fascinating scene to the next, and this was my favorite aspect of the story. The author’s writing style is easy to understand and is descriptive without being overly verbose.

The reader encounters a wide assortment of interesting characters in the story. These are just a few of them: strong-willed Eden, who is determined to fight discrimination, which often gets her into trouble; smart and affectionate, but frustrated Wynn (Eden’s boyfriend); strong and protective J.D.; self-centered, vindictive, and beautiful Paige (J.D.’s girlfriend); mysterious Nub, a “bottom lander” feared by both his people and the townspeople; warm-hearted and likable Miss Alma; sweet, shy, and physically abused Afton; as well as sadistic and controlling Carl Donner (Afton’s father).

Unfortunately, I wanted the romance to be developed a little more, and this was my least favorite aspect of the story. I won’t go into detail because I don’t want to disclose a spoiler. However, when the couple who were supposed to be in love were apart, they didn’t seem to long for or even think of the other individual as people enamored ordinarily do. This made it a little hard for me to believe they were in love. Because there were so many other pleasing things in the book, it did not bother me enough to justify lowering the overall rating.

I thoroughly enjoyed this captivating story, and since there were just a few minor errors, The House on Camp Ruby Road achieves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Readers who like mysteries, thrillers, and romance novels, with some paranormal events thrown in, should appreciate this tale. Other than a few kisses, no sex scenes were encountered in the book, and there was only one borderline profanity. However, violence and murder were seen in the novel, so readers sensitive to that, including children, might need to look elsewhere.

The House on Camp Ruby Road
View: on Bookshelves
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The plot is undoubtedly interesting. Plus, you wonderfully captured the details of each character. Thanks for this thorough review! :)
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

I like retro fiction, especially the way the characters talk, I find it fascinating how language changes over time. How did you find the dialogue and writing in the book? A problem a lot of historical fiction novels have is that the language doesn't match the setting. Did you find any such discrepancy? It's one of my pet peeves as a reader, haha.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I always thought it would be cool to suddenly find out some distant relative of mine left me a huge inheritance. After reading your review, I think I'll just stick to what I have. :lol2: Anyway, I am glad that the undeveloped romance did not take away from your enjoyment of the book. Great review!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

An interesting story and divide between different types of people. I'm not one for romances so I don't think the lack of development with the relationship would effect my enjoyment of the book. You've done a great job with your review, thank you!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Wow, what a captivating review! I'm happy that you enjoyed reading it, but ghost stories is one of my least favorite. I'm also intrigued about Eden's family life, but the story seems so scary. Thanks for the review.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

The book cover is very appealing and it drew me to reading the review. Am happy that I judged the book by the cover and was not disappointed. Great review, the book is a must-read.
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

I like the way you described the characters in the book. When I saw the book cover, I knew this book was going to be captivating and I wasn't wrong. Superb review 👌
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 01:43 The plot is undoubtedly interesting. Plus, you wonderfully captured the details of each character. Thanks for this thorough review! :)
It was a wonderful book. I hope you get a chance to read it. Thanks for the comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

La Cabra wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 01:56 I like retro fiction, especially the way the characters talk, I find it fascinating how language changes over time. How did you find the dialogue and writing in the book? A problem a lot of historical fiction novels have is that the language doesn't match the setting. Did you find any such discrepancy? It's one of my pet peeves as a reader, haha.
Yes, I felt like the dialogue suited the character and the year the story took place. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ever_Reading wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 03:13 I always thought it would be cool to suddenly find out some distant relative of mine left me a huge inheritance. After reading your review, I think I'll just stick to what I have. :lol2: Anyway, I am glad that the undeveloped romance did not take away from your enjoyment of the book. Great review!
Thank you! I still hope for that!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Letora wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 05:22 An interesting story and divide between different types of people. I'm not one for romances so I don't think the lack of development with the relationship would effect my enjoyment of the book. You've done a great job with your review, thank you!
I hope you get a chance to read it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

jeminah28 wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 05:28 Wow, what a captivating review! I'm happy that you enjoyed reading it, but ghost stories is one of my least favorite. I'm also intrigued about Eden's family life, but the story seems so scary. Thanks for the review.
I understand. Thanks for the nice comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Gathoni1991 wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 07:08 The book cover is very appealing and it drew me to reading the review. Am happy that I judged the book by the cover and was not disappointed. Great review, the book is a must-read.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

spluficvictory wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 10:39 I like the way you described the characters in the book. When I saw the book cover, I knew this book was going to be captivating and I wasn't wrong. Superb review 👌
Thank you so much! I hope you get a chance to read it!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”