Official Review: A Shield in the Shadows by Cheryl Bristow

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissy370
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Letters From St Nicholas by Ozar Mark
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: A Shield in the Shadows by Cheryl Bristow

Post by melissy370 » 28 Oct 2019, 13:40

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Shield in the Shadows" by Cheryl Bristow.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Theona, a sixteen-year-old Christian, lost loved ones and security when raiding Huns attack her village. Fearing more attacks were coming, Theona and her father join with other bands of Germanic tribes under the leadership of a powerful chieftain named King Radagaisus. They intend to cross over to Roman territory to seek asylum. King Radagaisus plans though to punish Rome for turning their backs on the pagan gods and following Christianity. His contempt for the Christian faith becomes a major issue for Theona and her father, Pastor Rhodus. Eighteen-year-old Marius is a Roman nobleman just entering the Roman Army. He is thrust into a leadership role quickly to defend against the onslaught of the barbarian invaders. Although he knows of God, Marius has never really needed him. However, the invasion of King Radagaisus and his army makes him rethink that. A Shield In The Shadows by Cheryl Bristow is a historical Christian fiction set in the 400s AD. It follows two main characters living on opposite sides of a conflict. Their lives interconnect during this time, and God’s grace and provision appear in harrowing circumstances.

I was excited when I read the premise of this book because it melds two of my favorite genres together. I was expecting an epic tale with drama, romance, and action while working in Christian themes. Bristow delivers that . . . mostly. I loved the plot, but my biggest complaint would be on how the story was written. The author paraphrased a lot of actions and conversations. This made the pace and my attention wane at times. It was hard getting into the characters’ lives and experience what they were going through. If more dialogue had led the story, I could have immersed myself fully into it. 

There were some impressive scenes throughout though. One of those was where a priest explains how Christ changes us when we accept him into our lives. The priest illustrates this by talking about an altar mosaic in his church, and how no one could fix it well except the one who created it. Another great scene was when Marius enters a city that was under siege, and emaciated residents come out begging for food. Both scenes were moving in different ways. The author also kept me guessing who Theona romantically would end up with. 

Several characters in the book called Theona stupid, and I would have to agree with them. At sixteen, naivete could explain some, but still, she was not the sharpest. At one point, the barbarians raze a town they were passing by. Against her father’s warning, Theona goes into the city to see what is happening with only the protection of her dog. Although I couldn’t care less about Theona, Marius and some other secondary figures were more intriguing. King Radagaisus’s son Roderic was confident and sometimes at odds with his father. And then there’s Ptolemy, a former gladiator who sides against the Romans and plays a pivotal role in the book’s outcome. Bristow inserts many characters in the storyline and thankfully lists all of them in case you can’t keep up. 

I give A Shield In the Shadows 3 out of 4 stars. I don’t think it deserves less, but I wish I could give it more. With some tweaking, this book could go from good to phenomenal. Multiple punctuation errors (mainly misplaced quotation marks) were throughout, and they became annoying after a while. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves historical, Christian, and romance stories. There weren’t many battle scenes or violence, but there was a smattering of profanity. 

A Shield in the Shadows
View: on Bookshelves

Elizavernon
Currently Reading: The Memory Painter
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizavernon.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Elizavernon » 30 Oct 2019, 13:51

Thanks for the review. It sounds intriguing--especially the scene about the priest and the altar. Your critiques of the characters and dialogue all make sense. Still, it sounds like a fun book to read.

Nickolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: My Purpose by Bruce Francois

Post by Nickolas Farmakis » 04 Nov 2019, 07:27

Great review! I would love to read this book, as I am a fan of historical fiction with Christian themes.

Nickolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: My Purpose by Bruce Francois

Post by Nickolas Farmakis » 04 Nov 2019, 07:28

I loved the priest's quote, as it is true that Jesus can only change our lives because He knows us since He made us.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 115
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: E-M-P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by kdstrack » 07 Nov 2019, 18:23

This does seem to be an interesting blend of genres. I enjoyed your description of Theona's character. That does make one wonder who she will end up with romantically. Thanks for your insights on this book!

Mbrooks2518
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth Munk's Forest Edge Adventure by Faye McFarland

Post by Mbrooks2518 » 17 Nov 2019, 11:36

The characters in this book seem interesting, but I'm not a fan of historical fiction, so I'll pass. Great review!

Wamakima
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 84
Currently Reading: Cooperative Lives
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Wamakima » 21 Nov 2019, 10:03

I don't know if it's me, but I have read a lot of books with a character named Ptolemy. I know the name is of Egyptian origin do it must be popular. A lot of books have the character of a sharp and smart woman. It must be refreshing to read a book with a naive, foolish girl. Hehe. Great review though.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)

Joy35
Currently Reading: Elizabeth Munk's Forest Edge Adventure
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Joy35 » 24 Nov 2019, 12:04

Great review! It has definitely peaked my interest. I know writing dialogue is tough but I feel like I'm reading more and more books with poorly developed characters and dialogue is usually to blame. This book is going on my shelf for later, though! Thank you for the great insight.

Return to “Historical Fiction”