Official Review: Ghost of a Chance by Cynthia Lacey

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: Ghost of a Chance by Cynthia Lacey

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ghost of a Chance" by Cynthia Lacey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After inheriting her great-grandfather's charming century home, Sophie Granger has become accustomed to the crazy antics of what can only be described as a ghost. It is not uncommon for doorknobs to turn on their own or pillows to be thrown in the air. Sophie believes her visitor is the spirit of a distant relative, and she finds comfort in its presence. Unfortunately, living with a ghost does nothing to improve her nonexistent love life.

When Mack Tanner becomes Sophie's neighbor, they share a mutual attraction. Sophie is smitten, and Mack's interest is piqued. When he overhears her shouting nonsensically at something that isn't there, he is stunned. Sure she is cute, but there is no way Mack can get involved with someone delusional.

Is Sophie destined to be haunted and alone forever?

Ghost of a Chance by Cynthia Lacey isn't a cookie-cutter love story; it's about as eccentric as its quirky main character. Infused with dark humor and ghostly revelations, I couldn't help but get pulled into this unconventional story. The book is written in the third person and alternates between Sophie and Mack. Despite the ominous-sounding premise, the reading experience was as scary as watching an episode of Casper the Friendly Ghost or Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

I instantly connected to Sophie's character. While she believed that Mack was out of her league, she never felt the pressure to change. She was unequivocally herself. I loved how Mack's presence easily embarrassed her, but she remained forthcoming with her feelings. The author created a likable protagonist with relatable quirks.

The book also had supporting characters worth mentioning. Sophie's co-worker, Dotty, had a penchant for giving Sophie unsolicited advice regarding dating. She was an effervescent older lady that made me picture a feisty grandma, and her meddling in Sophie's affairs was coming from a good place. Another character that I got a kick out of was the ghost that Sophie called Evelyn. Evelyn liked to make her presence known by communicating in a variety of ways. Sometimes it was a cool breeze, and other times it was communicating by making words appear on a steamy mirror.

The only thing that I disliked about the book was the number of grammatical errors; the biggest offender was the lack of hyphens in words that needed to be hyphenated. With that being said, I deducted one star and chose to give the book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

I would not recommend Ghost of a Chance to readers who dislike stories about paranormal activity. I didn't find it scary, but it could be a trigger for younger readers. The book has some sexual content that would not be suitable for the audiences mentioned above.

I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy romantic stories with a twist. This book will make you laugh, but it will also have you pondering the existence of ghosts. To add to the ambiance, I would recommend reading this book, like I did, curled up in a warm blanket on a stormy night!

Ghost of a Chance
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This sounds exciting. I am still wondering whether Sophie and Mack ended up together eventually. I guess I will have to grab a copy of this book in order to know more. Thanks for the enthralling review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Stephanie Elizabeth

Kibetious wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 02:43 This sounds exciting. I am still wondering whether Sophie and Mack ended up together eventually. I guess I will have to grab a copy of this book in order to know more. Thanks for the enthralling review.
Thanks!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like that this is a bit of a different love story. The paranormal activity well help it appeal to a wider audience. The sexual content, though, isn't for me as I don't normally read romance. Thanks for the information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

I'm currently reading Unspeakable Acts and am finding the paranormal activities in it to be both scary and unrealistic. Ghost of a Chance sounds like a ghost story that is more believable and a bit more realistic. I want to read this book because I believe it will be an enjoyable experience in spite of the grammar errors. Thanks for the great review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Stephanie Elizabeth

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 08:14 I'm currently reading Unspeakable Acts and am finding the paranormal activities in it to be both scary and unrealistic. Ghost of a Chance sounds like a ghost story that is more believable and a bit more realistic. I want to read this book because I believe it will be an enjoyable experience in spite of the grammar errors. Thanks for the great review!
Based on your response, I think you would really enjoy this one! Thanks for your thoughtful comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 07:46 I like that this is a bit of a different love story. The paranormal activity well help it appeal to a wider audience. The sexual content, though, isn't for me as I don't normally read romance. Thanks for the information, though.
I loved that it had a spooky feel to it. Thanks!
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

That sounds like the sort of unconventional story telling I'd be interested in, but oof, I'm not a fan of romance novels (especially with ones with sexual content). Although, if it were a webtoon I'd be more intrigued.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I can see how seeing and talking with a ghost could cause confusion in a relationship! I'm wonder if Sophie will have to choose between her love life and the ghost?? You have intrigued me with your compelling writing. Great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth

La Cabra wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 05:39 That sounds like the sort of unconventional story telling I'd be interested in, but oof, I'm not a fan of romance novels (especially with ones with sexual content). Although, if it were a webtoon I'd be more intrigued.
Thanks for your comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

kdstrack wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 07:05 I can see how seeing and talking with a ghost could cause confusion in a relationship! I'm wonder if Sophie will have to choose between her love life and the ghost?? You have intrigued me with your compelling writing. Great review!
Thank you!
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Wow this sounds interesting. Great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Gathoni1991 wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 14:19 Wow this sounds interesting. Great review!
Thanks!
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

This book has a great theme and definitely would be worth it. Your review is so factual and enticing. Thanks for a very eloquent review.
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I like the premise of this book. I can't say I would ever feel comfortable living in a haunted house. This is definitely a unique love story.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”