Official Review: The Paradise Man according to Thomas Mer...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Paradise Man according to Thomas Mer...

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Paradise Man according to Thomas Merton" by Linhxuan Vu.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Paradise Man: According to Thomas Merton, Linhxuan Vu states that his purpose for writing the book is to help readers find more inspiration for their spiritual journeys. True to the subtitle, the book is based on contributions from the works of Thomas Merton, "the most influential American Catholic author of the twentieth century." While paradise may conjure images of vacation spots and relaxation, Merton teaches that it is an attitude of the heart that occurs as the ego diminishes, and his concept of paradise "belongs more properly to the present than to the future life." Throughout the book, Vu refers to those seeking paradise as travelers. He explains the traveler's experience and transformation in union with God, with fellow humans, and the "cosmic dance" with the world of creation. Vu clarifies that the book isn't Merton's biography; the focus is on his teachings.

The book is divided into three sections that discuss union with God, union with creation, and relationships with others. Vu's references to the New American Bible and contributions from Merton's works are distinctly and correctly cited. Refreshingly, the reader is not left questioning if the content is from the author, Merton, or the Bible. Vu clearly explains how Merton's teachings can be applied to fulfill commandments from the Bible. For example, as the ego diminishes, and the entity of "I" disappears, the total focus of love, energy, and concern is centered only on God, fulfilling the first commandment. Jesus referred to this commandment as the greatest: "You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind." (New American Bible Matthew 22:37).

I most like the portion of the book about Christ as the ultimate "Paradise Man." Vu describes Jesus as the "Second Adam" and the "Light of the World" and cites scriptures that exemplify Christ's mercy and love. He states that the Christian life is a "return to paradise."

There isn't anything I dislike about the book, but it will benefit from another round of editing. I understand Vu's tendency to mimic Merton's frequent use of capitalization to emphasize certain words. However, Vu inconsistently capitalizes the key words: Paradise Man, Paradise man, and paradise man.

Unfortunately, due to the numerous grammatical errors, I am required to deduct a star. Therefore, I rate The Paradise Man 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to Vu's target audience of Christian and "churchgoing" readers. However, he also quotes Gandhi and speaks positively about Buddhism. The book may appeal to readers of various faiths given its focus on Merton, a mystic and proponent of interfaith unity. It contains no profanity.

The Paradise Man according to Thomas Merton
View: on Bookshelves
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm unsure about this one. I'm always looking for interesting, uplifting Christian books. This one almost sounds too naturalistically spiritual for me. I'm glad you found something to like about it, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I think I might like this book given the mysticism it carries with it! The stated theme of spirituality sounds very relaxing to read.
Thank you for a great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 07:43 I'm unsure about this one. I'm always looking for interesting, uplifting Christian books. This one almost sounds too naturalistically spiritual for me. I'm glad you found something to like about it, though.
Thanks. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

ivana7 wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 07:47 I think I might like this book given the mysticism it carries with it! The stated theme of spirituality sounds very relaxing to read.
Thank you for a great review!
Thanks for your comment.
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I read 'The Seven Storey Mountain' many years ago and I think he has something of interest to say even to people who wouldn't class themselves as particularly religious. Shame about the errors, though.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 14:18 I read 'The Seven Storey Mountain' many years ago and I think he has something of interest to say even to people who wouldn't class themselves as particularly religious. Shame about the errors, though.
That's interesting. I got a similar impression from his teachings. Thanks for sharing.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I find the author's premise to be confusing. He speaks of Jesus and God, but then places all his focus on this life. Instead of hoping for a paradise in the next life, he encourages us to hope for our paradise here in this world. If our hope is only for this life, we are to be pitied. I appreciate your insights into the author's beliefs as presented in this book. Great job!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”