Official Review: The Earthside Trilogy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Official Review: The Earthside Trilogy

Post by Connie Otwani »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Earthside Trilogy" by Sherri Fulmer Moorer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you bat for team no-cliffhanger-to-force-me-buy-the-sequel, then this fantastic Sci-Fi/Fantasy will be right up your alley! Incredibly, Sherri Fulmer Moorer packages the three books of the trilogy (Progenitor, Metamorphosis, and Emergence ) into one. This doesn't make the book a bland falling in place of all issues. Though all the weighty ‘matters arising’ are satisfactorily dealt with, there still remain enough loose threads to weave tales for other days, if one chooses to keep up with the author.

With a few considerations, the Swahili saying ‘when two elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers,’ can aptly apply to The Earthside Trilogy. The first consideration is that the elephants (two technologically superior alien races that are mortal enemies) are fighting over controlling the grass (humans). Second, the elephants survival depends on them inhabiting Earth. Each elephant is out to completely obliterate the other, once the grass embrace it.

One alien species soon infiltrates the human population bearing the proverbial carrot – healing sick humans. However, the healing isn’t as successful as anticipated in some cases. In other cases, it goes beyond just being successful to bestowing other benefits to the ‘healed.’

The other aliens make their debut with the stick – either the humans choose to evolve with them and vanquish their diseases in doing so, or they die as the aliens take over and modify Earth to suit them.

Can the humans rise above their signature preoccupation with conflict, terrorism, and war, to agree on a joint approach? Do they even believe the alien threat? And if they do, which of the two ‘elephants,’ if any, will they work with?

The book is futuristic in setting. It unfolds in an era when the use of the new nanotechnology in medicine virtually makes every human illness curable. This technology, however, is child’s play in comparison to that of the aliens. In this era too, there exists a World Council that unites leaders from all parts of the world – except Africa. I wondered if this was because the continent no longer exists, or if it is of no consequence. Either way, it is Moorer’s world/tale to spin.

The main events play out in the USA, with mentions of action in other parts of the world as well. Instead of using renowned astronauts, decorated air force officials, or NASA, Moorer chose an ordinary family, to introduce the aliens and develop the plot. I liked this simplicity. By placing various family members in strategic positions, she effectively advanced the alien agenda. The ensuing family drama, including revelation of juicy secrets, made the book so relatable that the inevitable space and energy tech-speak was easy to live with.

The author utilizes a conversational writing style, narrated in the third person, in a way that heightens suspense. In between a business as usual tone, she sprinkles nuances of an impending ominous event. This, coupled with many exciting plot twists and tension as family members take opposing viewpoints, perpetually spikes the reader’s curiosity.

In addition to family loyalties, national and international politics, terrorism, government bureaucracies, and presidential decrees, also help keep one invested in the plot. Most of these themes are very real in the world today.

The language employed is wholesome, and even though there is some falling in love, the book contains no explicit sexual scenes. It’s a book you never have to hastily turn pages if someone were to peek over your shoulder and read with you - especially if that someone is a child!

The plot has many characters. Hence, it is a good thing that the author took time to develop a few core individuals then surrounded them with many supporting characters. For example, the reader gets so acquainted with the highs and lows of both the protagonist Kalea, and the sort-of-antagonist Hailey, that it is no surprise when they move from being victims to leaders rallying their troops.

I must commend Moorer for her boldness in developing and pulling off such a complicated plotline – two rival alien races and a greatly divided humanity, in a logical and straightforward fashion that does not lose the reader. The downside is, lots of background information and descriptions couldn’t be avoided. There were moments such details were so long that the story dragged. Other times their significance was lost. I wonder if a movie can better balance this narration.

The one major flaw in The Earthside Trilogy is its numerous minor errors - both grammatical and formatting. In fact, I got more than ten errors in the first 80 pages of the 565-page trilogy. The errors ranged from missing words to awkward sentences. I was momentarily baffled every time someone was said to have 'swiped' his tears or nose! The good thing is the errors were not distracting. Some were even laugh-out-loud hilarious! Sample this:

"She was the one with the phoenix tattoo on her arm that witnessed the miracle of his recovery." (Hint: it's not the tattoo or arm that witnessed the miracle!)

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. With another round of editing, it can easily get a perfect score. Though not fast-paced, the book's premise is fascinating. Moreover, a few wars do break out. I, therefore, wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to lovers of space-oriented Science Fiction.

The Earthside Trilogy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I love reading your reviews, Cotwani! There is always some gem that enthrals me. I love the grass-trampling elephant analogy - I understood the story immediately :)
Thanks so much for a wonderful review. I hope there are no Tembo's coming to trample your grass anytime soon!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

I immediately understood the main theme of this book as you have skillfully outlined it all. Your writing technic is flawless and I easily dug in deep into your review. I am a big fan of the science fiction genre and I will be giving this one a try. Thanks for a very informative and compelling review.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I normally avoid alien plotlines, but you made this book sound very intriguing. I hope that the author cleans up the errors soon. Great review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I do enjoy science fiction, and this is an unusual plot-two alien races fighting over humans and Earth. It makes me want to take a look at it. However, I think I will wait until it has been edited. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I really enjoyed your review Cotwani! I rarely go for sci fiction. But The futuristic setting and a twisting plot make me to look for this. Great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

It's awesome that the story includes all three books of the trilogy in one. The reader is not left hanging. However, it's not a book for me. I like science fiction, but I don't like reading about aliens. Thanks for your review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Bianka Walter wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 09:05 I love reading your reviews, Cotwani! There is always some gem that enthrals me. I love the grass-trampling elephant analogy - I understood the story immediately :)
Thanks so much for a wonderful review. I hope there are no Tembo's coming to trample your grass anytime soon!
Thank you Bianka for appreciating my reviews. I hope to improve even more, so don't give up yet! :o
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Cotwani wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 11:52
Bianka Walter wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 09:05 I love reading your reviews, Cotwani! There is always some gem that enthrals me. I love the grass-trampling elephant analogy - I understood the story immediately :)
Thank you Bianka for appreciating my reviews. I hope to improve even more, so don't give up yet! :o
I am glad too you love everything elephant or should I say Tembo. Actually they are cool !

Thanks for reading and appreciating my review.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Falconcrest wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 01:05 I immediately understood the main theme of this book as you have skillfully outlined it all. Your writing technic is flawless and I easily dug in deep into your review. I am a big fan of the science fiction genre and I will be giving this one a try. Thanks for a very informative and compelling review.
Thanks a heap for your kind words. I hope to get even better. I hope you enjoy the book when you read it.

I appreciate your stopping by and giving feedback.
-Walt Disney

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”