Official Review: Anna Incognito by Laura Preble

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: Anna Incognito by Laura Preble

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Anna Incognito" by Laura Preble.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Anna receives an envelope in the mail, it sits on the counter for weeks before she can muster up the courage to open it. Once it is opened, Anna knows she has to act fast. The love of her life, Dr. Edward Denture, has invited her to attend his wedding in Colorado. When he moved away, she thought she had lost him forever, but now she has a second chance. Anna is determined to stop the wedding, but it would mean leaving the safe confines of her home and exposing herself to germs. Anna's severe battle with mental illness prevents her from living a normal life, but maybe this is the push she needs.

As she embarks on the trip of her life, Anna meets a troubled young woman named Mellow, who needs help. How can Anna possibly help this woman when she can't even help herself?

Can she help Mellow and make it to Edward unscathed?

Anna Incognito by Laura Preble is a heart-wrenching story about one woman's quest to break free of the fear that holds her hostage. While Anna's mission is to stop Edward's wedding, this is not a love story; it is a story about trauma and overcoming obstacles. Anna's story will show readers that It isn't about the final destination, rather the journey to get there.

My favorite thing about this book was the author's ability to pull me into Anna's world. Her pain and suffering poured off the pages and into my heart. Being able to experience the unraveling of her mental illness was both devastating and eye-opening. Between battling OCD and the constant urge to pick at her skin and hair, Anna's plight was evident. Something as necessary as hygiene had excruciating consequences. Anna said, "I splash some water to support the story and pump some soap into my palm, but the soap stings and finds all the ragged crevices in my fingers, the cracks and fissures I break open anew every day. I am my own Prometheus. It heals, I bite it, it heals, I bite. Rinse and repeat."

Another thing that I loved about the book was Anna's tumultuous relationship with Mellow. Throughout the book, their banter had me laughing and crying as both of their stories unfolded. As much of a pain as she was, it was apparent that Mellow forced Anna to do things she would have never done if they hadn't met. On the other hand, Mellow found something in Anna that she was desperately seeking—kindness.

While I tried to find something that I disliked about the book, it was a lost cause. The writing was captivating, and I didn't notice any spelling or grammatical errors. With that being said, I chose to give the book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

I would happily recommend Anna Incognito to readers who are ready to immerse themselves in Anna's life. The book thoroughly examines the disturbing effects of living with a mental illness. This book would be great for readers who are struggling with mental health or for those trying to understand it better. Are you ready to go for a drive with Anna?. Buckle up because you are in for the ride of your life!

On the contrary, I would not recommend this book to readers who are looking for romance. The story touches on love and relationships, but it is a harrowing tale about self-discovery. I would discourage young readers from choosing Anna Incognito as it deals with mature subjects such as suicide and grief.

Anna Incognito
View: on Bookshelves
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

This book deals with mental illness without being focused on romance? Count me in. I thought I was the only one who looked for a story like this one. Thank you for letting me know about this book. I enjoyed your review!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Laura Bach wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 03:41 This book deals with mental illness without being focused on romance? Count me in. I thought I was the only one who looked for a story like this one. Thank you for letting me know about this book. I enjoyed your review!
I absolutely adore books that aim to raise awareness about mental illness. Bonus points that Anna is such a well-developed character. Thanks for your comment.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Oh how insightful, I would love to read the book soon. Great review.
Stephanie Elizabeth

Gathoni1991 wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 08:04 Oh how insightful, I would love to read the book soon. Great review.
Thank you!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I'm glad that mental illness is tackled so well in this book. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This sounds like an exquisitely well-written and thought-provoking story. Thank you for your lovely review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Stephanie Elizabeth

Prisallen wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 12:15 I'm glad that mental illness is tackled so well in this book. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Thank you!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Rachel Lea wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 12:50 This sounds like an exquisitely well-written and thought-provoking story. Thank you for your lovely review!
Thanks for your thoughtful comment!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Even the character names are unique. Mellow and Dr. Denture? I love, too, that this has serious themes. I think we all need to learn more about OCD. I'll put this on my list. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Stephanie Elizabeth

kandscreeley wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 20:41 Even the character names are unique. Mellow and Dr. Denture? I love, too, that this has serious themes. I think we all need to learn more about OCD. I'll put this on my list. Thanks.
Yes, the names were quite unique! Thanks!
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

Oh wow. I love the honest discussion and portrayal of OCD. How powerful! As a therapist I see the term "I'm so OCD" or something similar tossed around a lot and people don't understand the vast difference in true OCD. It's not just about being a clean freak. I can't wait to read this book. Thanks for such a good review.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Stephanie Elizabeth

Bhaskins wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 14:31 Oh wow. I love the honest discussion and portrayal of OCD. How powerful! As a therapist I see the term "I'm so OCD" or something similar tossed around a lot and people don't understand the vast difference in true OCD. It's not just about being a clean freak. I can't wait to read this book. Thanks for such a good review.
I couldn't agree with you more; I too, hate it when people throw around the term so loosely. It really is debilitating. Thanks!
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

Your review really has me intrigued about this book. I recently read Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine and this review made me think of that book. I'd love to read this even if it doesn't have a love story to it.
Stephanie Elizabeth

Helene_2008 wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 18:29 Your review really has me intrigued about this book. I recently read Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine and this review made me think of that book. I'd love to read this even if it doesn't have a love story to it.
Thanks!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”