Official Review: Blackberries Are Red When Green

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: Blackberries Are Red When Green

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blackberries Are Red When Green" by Keith Frohreich.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Blackberries Are Red When Green by Keith Frohreich is a historical fiction set in the country near a little town called Twin Rivers, Indiana. Kurt was a young boy who lived on a farm with his parents and two older brothers. Unfortunately, his father suffered from bouts of depression and fits of anger. Kurt, his older brother Kyle, and his mother were beaten because of his father’s short temper. Subsequently, Kurt did not mourn him when his dad passed away while he was still a young boy.

A year after his father died, when he was ten, Kurt happened upon Dutch, a black man who had retired from working as a Pullman porter. He was fishing on the bank close to Jake’s home. Dutch taught him many things but mostly what it was like to live as a black person, including experiencing prejudice. Kurt grew to love Dutch but found out soon not everyone felt the same way about him. This became abundantly clear when he was struck by a car while walking home one day and even clearer after the first of two murders occurred close to where they lived.

This book is written as a memoir with Kurt doing the narrating. Mr. Frohreich grew up on a small farm in Indiana, and many of the descriptions of living on a farm seem to be taken from his memories and are believable. He deftly relays the racial climate and life during the mid-twentieth century. He even provides some details of the earlier history of the United States through Kurt’s ancestors’ experiences. His narrative is interesting and easy to understand and includes a twist, which I was not expecting.

The racial events of the time, especially those relating to black history, are portrayed through Dutch, who goes into detail about his life working as a Pullman porter. Kurt’s mother asked Kurt if he thought he would have liked Dutch less if his skin had been darker. His reply was, “ ‘Nope. I met a nice man early this summer on the riverbank. He could be red like green blackberries for all I care.’ ” (This was where the title came from.) His message that the color of the skin shouldn’t matter is my favorite part of the book.

The author weaves some humor into the story from time to time, which I love. An example of this is when the preacher is baptizing people in the river, “I didn’t much care for one of those sinners, so it would have been fine by me if the preacher held him down longer. There was nothing saintly about him.”

Quite a bit of history of the railroad and Pullman porters is described to the reader. Personally, I felt it was a little too comprehensive and slowed down the story somewhat. However, there are readers who would love reading about this aspect of American history. I also felt like there were other times when the story seemed to drag, and this was my least favorite part of the novel. However, it got a lot more interesting once the first murder occurred.

Sadly, I found a few too many grammatical and punctuation errors in the story. These were not distracting, but the book could use another round of editing.

Although I enjoyed this story, a star has to be taken away because of the errors and the slowness of the novel at times. Subsequently, Blackberries Are Red When Green achieves a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

This book is recommended for anyone who enjoys historical fiction that deals with farm life, friendship, and racial issues, with some black history incorporated. Readers who appreciate reading about railroads and Pullman porters would also enjoy this story. If your favorite tale is a thrilling, fast-paced novel, then you might want to look elsewhere. There is rare profanity, murder, and one instance of attempted rape. These were not very graphic; however, it is unsuitable for young children. With the approval of the parent, it should be appropriate for a teenager.

Blackberries Are Red When Green
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I'm a bit burnt out on stories like this right now, so I'll likely pass on it but the book sounds great all the same. Racial tensions in small towns have always been a thing so it's always nice to find a character who manages to look past that like the protagonist in this one.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Great review! I like my historical fiction to focus more on the fiction side and a little less on the complete and total inclusion of every detail of the historical portion. The comprehensiveness of the railroad and the Pullman porters might be a little too much for me, but the rest of sounds interesting. Too bad about the errors.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Despite the errors, the book sounds quite interesting if you like historical fiction. I do like that the author includes the theme that skin color doesn't matter. I don't think this is one for me, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Nisha Ward wrote: 27 Oct 2019, 13:27 I'm a bit burnt out on stories like this right now, so I'll likely pass on it but the book sounds great all the same. Racial tensions in small towns have always been a thing so it's always nice to find a character who manages to look past that like the protagonist in this one.
I agree with you. Thanks for stopping by and reading my review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 27 Oct 2019, 14:47 Great review! I like my historical fiction to focus more on the fiction side and a little less on the complete and total inclusion of every detail of the historical portion. The comprehensiveness of the railroad and the Pullman porters might be a little too much for me, but the rest of sounds interesting. Too bad about the errors.
I understand. I felt the same way. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Oct 2019, 18:26 Despite the errors, the book sounds quite interesting if you like historical fiction. I do like that the author includes the theme that skin color doesn't matter. I don't think this is one for me, though.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
DonnaKay
Currently Reading: A Portrait of Mommy
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnakay.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by DonnaKay »

I didn't get whether this a historical fiction or a memoir from your review but it sounds interesting.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I almost selected this book to review myself. I think I might have been more into the railroad history aspect of the book, but I would be equally sad about the editing mistakes.
InStoree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

Currently, I'm reading historical fiction with similar elements. I don't think I'll pick this one anytime soon, but I will keep it in mind. The title of the book is quite inspiring. Great review! Thank you, Prisallen!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

DonnaKay wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 10:59 I didn't get whether this a historical fiction or a memoir from your review but it sounds interesting.
It's historical fiction, but it is written as a memoir. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

CommMayo wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 11:11 I almost selected this book to review myself. I think I might have been more into the railroad history aspect of the book, but I would be equally sad about the editing mistakes.
It wasn't as bad as a lot of books I've read, but unfortunately, there were too many to not take a star away. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

InStoree wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 16:21 Currently, I'm reading historical fiction with similar elements. I don't think I'll pick this one anytime soon, but I will keep it in mind. The title of the book is quite inspiring. Great review! Thank you, Prisallen!
Thank you, InStoree! I always appreciate your comments!
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

An interesting historical drama filled with details and racial tension? Count me in! I don't think I would mind the slowness since it's a topic that interests me, so I might check it out eventually. Thanks for the review!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This is not my style of book, but I like that the murders are thrown in for a little spice.

Return to “Historical Fiction”