Official Review: Clio's Colorful Quest by Aloubell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Clio's Colorful Quest by Aloubell

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Clio's Colorful Quest" by Aloubell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What do you get when you combine poetry and beautiful artwork, add a dash of philosophy, and mix them all together in a children's book? If you do it just right you'll get Clio's Colorful Quest by Aloubell.

Clio's Colorful Quest is a stunning children's picture book featuring an adorable chibi-esque girl named Clio. She's trying to find something special: herself! Clio's quest is a journey of self-discovery, and it's jaw-droppingly gorgeous to look at. She ponders what life is about and whether she should stay home where it's cozy or explore the world, yet it's all written in a way that's easy for anyone to understand. The Amazon page recommends the book for children in first or second grade, but I can see younger children enjoying it as well.

Clio's story is told with rhymes, but I didn't see any awkward rhymes or grammatical errors. The words flow as perfectly as Clio's ever-changing hair, and the journey is short enough to hold a child's attention yet long enough to feature lots of magnificent art while telling a poignant short story.

In case you haven't noticed, I really love the art in Clio's Colorful Quest. It's vibrant, it uses unique patterns, and every full-color page of art would look amazing hanging on my wall. My favorite image shows Clio holding a giant dandelion like she's a powerful wizard, but there are also stunning rainbows, exquisite bubbles, and breathtaking stars.

It's incredibly rare for a children's picture book to nail both the story and the art, but Clio's Colorful Quest does an exceptional job with both. The biggest surprise of all was that one person did both: a woman named Aloubell. This appears to be her first book, and I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for her future work! My rating of the book is 4 out of 4 stars. Anyone who loves sublime artwork, enjoys children's books that explore topics that are a bit deeper than normal, or has children that want to lose themselves in the pages of a magical world should definitely check it out.

Clio's Colorful Quest
View: on Bookshelves
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

It seems like an adorable book for children! Thank you so much for your review, I very enjoyed reading it.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

The cover alone is beautiful! This sounds like a great read for kids. Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This sounds like a really cute book! It's awesome that the author also did the illustrations. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Okay, this is just adorable and I love the description of the art as chibi-esque. That's a guaranteed way to get kids to read it since that art style is really cute and childlike itself. As for Clio's journey, it sounds a bit heavy but I'm glad the rhyming works to make it appealing to little kids. Thank you.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by kperm »

This seems like a very cute book. I enjoyed reading your review. Thank you.

Return to “Children's Books”