Review by Karina Nowak -- The Biblical Clock

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karina-nowak.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Review by Karina Nowak -- The Biblical Clock

Post by Karina Nowak »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I've always been on the fence about the creation debate. I don’t practice Judaism, but I was raised in a more progressive church and family that encouraged reading and investigating other topics that most Christians hold taboo, like science, and other religions and their teachings. So like the authors of this book, I've held the view that the two beliefs of cosmology and creationism can coexist.

Creationism is just a science that hasn't been measured properly yet, and God is a scientist whose work and theories are layered in mystery. The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon tries to peel away this veil of mystery, showing that it does in fact pair up with the findings of cosmology. They do this, not through scientific theories and satellites, but by studying the scrolls and teachings of the great minds from thousands of years ago. These people were men of God who also sought to answer the question of creation.

From the book, it seems that several of these scrolls and vast, in-depth teachings were lost because of wars, and for a time because people were just unaware that they existed. I actually find it quite interesting that men thousands of years ago figured out what science only concluded decades ago. And without the advanced technology that supposedly would open man’s mind to learn more about the universe. It’s a bit ironic, but also very fascinating. It shows that spiritual practices and enlightenment can be just as effective in formulating theories when pursued seriously.

It's interesting to see a book that talks about not just the original scrolls where excerpts of the Bible were pulled from, but that also investigates additional material that forms engaging hypotheses to support the vague outlines of Genesis. The authors also took the chance to continue the timeline and speak about the ‘end of days’ though they shy away from actually predicting anything. But I’ll let you be the judge of their findings.

I enjoyed this book. It didn’t come off as preachy at all. It tells you the history of the figures who contributed to the ancient books in Judaism as well as certain aspects of the science of cosmology and how it came about, in order to show the correlation. It actually ends around page 165 and the rest are references and appendices that further support their work.

I really appreciated the fictional parts of this book. It wasn’t entirely fictional, of course. The authors just used what was already known about the figures in history, about their personal lives or where they lived and what events were happening in history at the time when they came upon the discovery, and then embellished on it. So there were these small stories based on real events in between the ‘heavy information’. It helped to add credibility to the book and further keep me, as the reader, intrigued.

There were a few spelling errors here and there, but nothing much so I would still give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I also liked the diagrams and pictures that were included to give you a better idea of what the authors were referring to as their study has proven to be just as detailed as known scientific theories.

I really think anyone who has an interest in the teachings of God or anyone studying theology would appreciate this book. It may go against what you already believe at times as the perspective is from Judaism and not Christianity, but all you need is to approach it with an open mind. It’s just another perspective. I also believe it would be of interest to people who have studied cosmology but want to understand the true nature of creationism from a more ‘scientific’ standpoint. As I said, all that is needed is an open mind.

The Biblical Clock
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree that the beliefs of cosmology and creationism can coexist. I think I would find this book very interesting. Thanks for a great review!
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:

Post by Karina Nowak »

It really is an interesting read and is short enough to get through. Thanks for the comment.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I have read so many reviews and strong opinions on this book. It is on discussion these days. You did Justice to it by this review of yours. Thanks for the review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Theresa Ammons Pinkston
Favorite Book: Pay It Forward
Currently Reading: The Day I Had a Bulldozer
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-ammons-pinkston.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Theresa Ammons Pinkston »

Thank you for your review of THE BIBLICAL CLOCK. I'm currently reading it so that I may also do a review.

I agree with your opinions and feel better about doing my review.
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:

Post by Karina Nowak »

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 22:37 I have read so many reviews and strong opinions on this book. It is on discussion these days. You did Justice to it by this review of yours. Thanks for the review!
Thank you!
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:

Post by Karina Nowak »

Sunflower_Mom wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 21:59 Thank you for your review of THE BIBLICAL CLOCK. I'm currently reading it so that I may also do a review.

I agree with your opinions and feel better about doing my review.
Thank you! I would also like to correct that I actually didn't find any errors. There were two things that I highlighted but after verifying, it turned out to be correct spelling and grammar. It was too late to change my review by then. Good luck with your review. :techie-studyingbrown:
Last edited by Karina Nowak on 30 Oct 2019, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:

Post by Karina Nowak »

It was unexpectedly thought-provoking, that much I can say for sure.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Karina Nowak wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 19:53
Creationism is just a science that hasn't been measured properly yet, and God is a scientist whose work and theories are layered in mystery.
I love this line. If the entire book is represented by this one line it sounds like a must-read! I'll have to give it a look. Thanks for the enthralling review!!
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:

Post by Karina Nowak »

Kelyn wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 19:42
Karina Nowak wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 19:53
Creationism is just a science that hasn't been measured properly yet, and God is a scientist whose work and theories are layered in mystery.
I love this line. If the entire book is represented by this one line it sounds like a must-read! I'll have to give it a look. Thanks for the enthralling review!!
You are very welcome!
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

If someone is interested in the Bible and wants to explore more about new opinions about it, this book sounds like an interesting one to read. Thanks for the review.
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:

Post by Karina Nowak »

bookreviewmi1111 wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 00:19 If someone is interested in the Bible and wants to explore more about new opinions about it, this book sounds like an interesting one to read. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for the response!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”