Official Review: Fingerprints of Faith by Daniel Fulton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Fingerprints of Faith by Daniel Fulton

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fingerprints of Faith" by Daniel Fulton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Picture a not-too-distant future; the government has replaced many employees with robots, and "bit-card" currency is necessary to survive. Now imagine your entire family is murdered, and you are being hunted as a suspect. This is the scenario that David Browning faces in Fingerprints of Faith: A Journey to Redemption by Daniel Fulton.

David memorized the whole Bible at five, graduated MIT at fifteen, and created the sophisticated blockchain technology that revolutionized the banking industry. Raised in a family of Christian missionaries, David possessed technological expertise that both opened doors and made powerful enemies--the kind that murdered his family. Suspecting that he was the intended victim of the explosion in his home, David was frightened, devastated, and determined to seek revenge. To protect himself, he created a new identity: Elias Tobias Montague. As the story unfolds, he learns more about his family's legacy and the true meaning of redemption.

This multilayered Christian fiction features an interesting blend of genres: suspense, romance, and even a little sci-fi. Fulton keeps the story engaging by skillfully weaving themes of family, loss, anger, resentment, faith, and redemption throughout its pages.

I most liked Fulton's realistic portrayal of David/Elias as a young man who didn't initially accept the faith of his family. Although he was respectful of their Christian beliefs, he needed to seek answers for himself. The waves of grief and guilt he experienced after their deaths were poignant and relatable. I enjoyed watching Elias's transformation as he matured and gained a new appreciation for things he once took for granted.

Another example of Fulton's strong character development is exhibited in Abby, a young single mother who attracts Elias's attention. She is hardworking, utterly devoted to her children, and compassionate.

Detectives Bolker and Peters investigate the crime scene of the Browning family home. David/Elias and the detectives don't actually meet, but it is implied that they will be allies in solving the murders. Although two different chapters in the first half of the book are devoted to the detectives, they don't resurface until close to the end of the book. I don't want to reveal any spoilers, but I dislike that their portion of the story seems incomplete.

However, this is a minor inconsistency in an otherwise engaging story. The book is professionally edited and contains no profanity or sexual content. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it primarily to readers who enjoy Christian fiction. However, due to the blending of genres, it may also appeal to fans of romance, sci-fi, and futuristic technology.

Fingerprints of Faith
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This looks like an interesting premise with great character development. Thanks for the engaging review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This is my kind of story. I'm captivated already at the blend of Christan fiction and science fiction. With your high rating, I'll look into reading this one for sure. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This isn't really my thing but it sounds like a rather interesting blend of genres. That David returns to faith seems inevitable though I do wonder why he was targeted in the first place. Seems like it's a great book.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

What a wonderful review! I want to read the book after reading your review.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

What a wonderful blend of genres! I’m adding this book to my list. Thank you for your review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 15:26 This looks like an interesting premise with great character development. Thanks for the engaging review!
Thank you, Stephanie!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 18:59 Wow! This is my kind of story. I'm captivated already at the blend of Christan fiction and science fiction. With your high rating, I'll look into reading this one for sure. Thanks.
Thanks for your comment. Enjoy!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nisha Ward wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 08:29 This isn't really my thing but it sounds like a rather interesting blend of genres. That David returns to faith seems inevitable though I do wonder why he was targeted in the first place. Seems like it's a great book.
Thanks for your comment, Nisha.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nickolas Farmakis wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 10:26 What a wonderful review! I want to read the book after reading your review.
Thanks for your comment, Nickolas.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

MsH2k wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 23:36 What a wonderful blend of genres! I’m adding this book to my list. Thank you for your review.
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
DonnaKay
Currently Reading: A Portrait of Mommy
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnakay.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by DonnaKay »

Thanks for this awesome review of this book, I definitely want to read it.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

DonnaKay wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 11:13 Thanks for this awesome review of this book, I definitely want to read it.
Thanks for your comment, Donna.
8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by 8amaseter »

As I read your review, one question kept coming to my mind; why would David feal that he was being hunted for his family's death? This suspence aspect of the book is what would make me want to read it all.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Robots will replace humans in the "not-too-distant" future! That part of the book seems quite real! I really like the mix of genres that the author has achieved with this book. Thanks for a compelling and appealing review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”