Official Review: A Professors' Guide to College Success:

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: A Professors' Guide to College Success:

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Professors' Guide to College Success:" by Boyd K Smith, Ph.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Succeeding in college is one of the best gifts you can give yourself. Preparation is one key. Persistence is the other. Learn how to accomplish both and do it well for outstanding career success."

In A Professor's Guide to College Success, Boyd K. Smith, Ph.D. expounds on the cost of college as a business investment rather than a costly expense. To maximize opportunities for success, he stresses investing wisely by doing one's homework and asking the right questions about college. Smith suggests that many students are not prepared for the responsibility of being on their own. He considers this the first college career challenge, which has the potential to directly affect future levels of success. He instructs readers on how to utilize tools such as mind mapping, resume building, effective study habits, SWOT analysis, and community college options to build an academic toolbox. He encourages students to be aware of the negative distractions that can detract from their goals, including over-socializing, sports, and social media. The book includes opportunities for college scholarships and numerous hyperlinks for additional research on specific topics. However, Smith recommends first reading the content cover to cover before revisiting points of interest.

This 105-page book is organized, professionally edited, and packed with practical advice. I helped my three kids prepare for college, and I would have loved to have had such a definitive guide at my fingertips. For example, in Chapter 8, Smith addresses starting college resume preparation as early as middle school, but he also begins the book with questions that invite students who may not be ready to delay college or consider vocational training. Smith is in favor of attending college and getting the best education possible, but he recognizes the pitfalls and added expense of beginning college without adequate direction.

I particularly like the comprehensiveness of this resourceful guide. From encouraging students to question their college preparedness to the importance of extracurricular activities and what it really costs to attend college, Smith seems to have addressed everything. Additionally, he encourages readers, who may have special challenges not covered in the book, to visit his website.

There isn't anything I dislike about the book. Although I did note some repetition of content, overall, it doesn't detract from the book. In fact, I would love to see mandatory high school curriculum that addresses the relevant issues the author tackles. I'm pleased to rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to students preparing for college, both those straight from high school and those attending later in life, as well as educators and parents.

A Professors' Guide to College Success:
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

I want to read this one because who doesn't want success, right?
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

imSunshine wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 06:15 I want to read this one because who doesn't want success, right?
I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for your comment.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

It's always important when making any big decision that costs a lot of money to take a step back and decide if you are ready to take on the challenge. I took 5 years off after high school and worked various jobs until I was sure I was ready to go to college. Thanks for the great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 13:05 It's always important when making any big decision that costs a lot of money to take a step back and decide if you are ready to take on the challenge. I took 5 years off after high school and worked various jobs until I was sure I was ready to go to college. Thanks for the great review!
That was a smart choice! You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Sole Kabunda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sole Kabunda »

Very encouraging and motivating.
Preparation is indeed a key and be always persistent then you'll see success in life...wow I'm enjoying
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author has covered all the bases. I agree that a course like this should be included in high school curriculum. Great recommendation. Thanks!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 18:37 The author has covered all the bases. I agree that a course like this should be included in high school curriculum. Great recommendation. Thanks!
You're welcome. Thanks for your comment.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

I have two daughters in college and a book like this would of been helpful. I also have 3 younger kids. My youngest daughter is going into 9th and she already has a plan. I also have twins boys going in 6th grade and this book would help all three. I do have a better idea now after my oldest two but a book that lays things out would be great.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Sole Kabunda wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 16:49 Very encouraging and motivating.
Preparation is indeed a key and be always persistent then you'll see success in life...wow I'm enjoying
Thanks for stopping by.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Wriley wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 19:53 I have two daughters in college and a book like this would of been helpful. I also have 3 younger kids. My youngest daughter is going into 9th and she already has a plan. I also have twins boys going in 6th grade and this book would help all three. I do have a better idea now after my oldest two but a book that lays things out would be great.
You are a busy lady! :lol2: Yes, you'll appreciate the author's research and the many website links he includes.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

As a department administrator in a highly competitive program, in a highly competitive field and given the mental health issues we are seeing among the students both in our department and our college in general, students who have often spent their entire high school years focusing on exactly what they need to do to get into a specific program, I actually have some major concerns about a book that is encouraging children to start working on their college resume as early as middle school. This is a ridiculous amount of pressure to put on kids. And it often creates as many problems once in college as it solves for getting there.
That said, everything else in the book seems pretty useful, to the point that my daughter and her sisters are all about the right age to really start benefiting from the resources, so I may just by this book as a gift for her other mother.
Nadege 12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nadege 12 »

Everyone should reading this book because College is very stressful and expensive.
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

This book is definetly great for anyone planning on taking a big step in life, not only going to college. The tips can be useful in other aspects of life.
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

This book might be a practical guide, but at the end of the day, even when you finished college you cannot find yourself until you face the reality of Life. That is, People should ask, "What is our Mission in Life? Why do we exist?" Anyway, this is worth reading. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”