Review by InStoree -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Review by InStoree -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by InStoree »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is a science-fiction novel that introduces us to "the magnificent and terrifying kingdom of Voulhire." The juxtaposing characters, some with supernatural powers, others who make deal with their skills as humans, transport the reader through a gateway between the physical world and the magical one. Among the mages' abilities is the control of a person's vital functions and mind. If you are a fan of fantasy, you are most likely to get hooked by this first installment of the We are Voulhire series.

In the first few pages, a map guides us through the entire Voulhire realm, giving us the chance to visualize the geographical position of the cities, rivers, and mountains, whilst the story unfolds. This fascinating book is divided into sections where the author, Matthew Tysz, cautiously and strategically, opens the door to the nation's habits, the characters' identities, and the intriguing plot. He casts a stronger light on some of the major figures in the novel, around which the action revolves.

The protagonist is a young man, Galen Bray, originally from the Lands of the Princes, a place that has known nothing but war. He sets out on a journey to Voulhire, to the little town of Magnum Caelum, with the intent to claim the inheritance his uncle, Galen Onita, has left him - the house and the business. Once he reaches his destination, he meets Rowan, his uncle's executor, who helps him settle in and take over the Onita Steel forge. Along the way, the two become friends, and progressively, Galen begins to feel right at home. However, he is still struggling to cope with the unfamiliar environment. The new land has a monarchical system of governance and is ruled by King Wilhelm, who is dealing with the corrupt Mianoran Council. This chamber governs the Mianoran Knights, one of the most powerful legions of soldiers in the land. Midius Maido, the First Knight of Voulhire, and King Wilhelm seem to have a conflict of interest and express contempt towards one another. And the puzzling story begins...

Tysz has done an impressive job with this complex and original plot. It has been difficult for me to predict further action and this has resulted in me being on the edge of my seat for the entirety of the story. I was delighted with how he took me, with every section, to different places, slowly unveiling the mysterious characters. Each new personage that was introduced surprisingly altered the narrative design. My thoughts were involuntarily wandering to how they will spice up the theme and to what the author is trying to bring out. I was able to relate parts of the novel to some of the current things that we face in society like the constant fight for power. The pages of the novel are jam-packed with suspense, and I would gladly recommend it to fans of the sci-fi genre and those who enjoy similar readings to Game of Thrones, but with no explicit sexual content. There are some expletives used in the book, so religious folks may not find these parts pleasing. However, generally, the book is a well-mannered piece.

If I were to raise a minor criticism, it would be related to the structuring of the sentences. In these kinds of stories, I have found the description of characters, places, customs, etc., to be very detailed and blooming. In Tysz's work, phrases are fairly simple and short. However, sometimes they don't flow particularly well. I expected the paragraphs to be a bit more elaborated. But this is more of a personal taste, as I believe the book might be enjoyable for a young adult audience. Also, because this novel seems to be only the introduction to what the author predicts to be a sequence of ten novels, I would recommend it to those interested in the series.

In my reading, I encountered a few grammatical errors which did not deter me from proceeding. The storyline is engaging, and you can easily create an image of the event being described. The errors encountered did not manage to drop a single star, so I am giving We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies 4 out of 4 stars.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The map helps a lot, and I love a good sci-fi fantasy novel. Definitely adding this to my shelves.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A fantasy tale revolving around a refugee landing in the kingdom of Voulhire sounds great! Complex and original plot, mysterious characters, and suspense make it a good read. I didn't read the "Game of Thrones", but it is on my list. If it is as good as that series, I am in! Too bad about the awkward sentences. At least it had minor errors. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I am a big fan of fantasy and uniquely cherrish Mathew Tysz writing. I love the amazing fantastic elements in this book, especially the King whose development is rich with promise. I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars, and honestly, it deserved it.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This isn't something I would read, however it does sound quite intriguing. I like that the author has included a map so that readers can have a visual representation of the setting. It is too bad that some of the sentences seem disjointed. Thanks for the thorough review!
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

Your review made me interested in this, especially because of the Game of Thrones reference. Thank you for your review. I will check this out.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

This sounds like an excited sci-fi adventure! I love all the different characters and the depth of the story. The map is also a big help.
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

A sci-fi story with a complex, suspenseful plot and mysterious characters! Sounds a must-read for fans of the genre! I don't read this genre, but I got my copy! I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the detailed review, InStoree! :tiphat:
lilac_coquelicot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by lilac_coquelicot »

:techie-studyinggray: Its good and interesting fantasy book.Its revolves around the kingdom of voulhire.The story is mysterious and enjoying.
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maxiphemmax.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by maxiphemmax »

This sounds like an interesting storyline. Will surely check this our and read
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This sounds like the author put together a great fantasy novel that is part of a series. Galen’s bravery in setting out for sights unseen sounds adventurous and dangerous. I am not a huge fan of fantasy but will look into this one further. Thank you for the insightful review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Cross game
Currently Reading: It
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cross-game.html
Latest Review: The Adults in the Room by Jeffrey D. Mechling

Post by Cross game »

Fantasy isn't my cup of tea but after reading the review the story seems very interesting and is making me want to read the book . Now I am very curious about the book.
Navdha Gupta
Currently Reading: the alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Navdha Gupta »

I think I'm going to become a bigggg fan of this series.
Can't wait to read it!
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I've had my fill of fantasy stories, so I just can't get excited about Galen Bray's quest and knights and a "puzzling story" and etc etc etc, so this one's a 'no' for me.
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I haven't read Game of Thrones, though I've watched the series. If this book is something similar, then it'll do well!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”