Official Review: The Bliss of Ignorance by Ray Filasky

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Official Review: The Bliss of Ignorance by Ray Filasky

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bliss of Ignorance" by Ray Filasky.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The plot of The Bliss of Ignorance, by Ray Filasky, is set in the United States in the modern-day. However, the country looks incredibly different than it does in reality. Due to race tensions, its citizens of color have been segregated into their own territory. New Haven is made up of land formerly belonging to the states of Illinois, Michigan, West Virginia, Ohio, and Kentucky. All people of color have to live within these boundaries. Communication from inside New Haven to the outside world is very limited. Mixed-race families are separated. In the midst of this separation, we meet Tee and Emma Haskins. Tee is a white preacher who has married an intelligent, African-American college professor. Emma and their adult son, Dylan, must move to New Haven and find a way to continue life without Tee.

Meanwhile, a resistance group chats on the deep, dark web. They are plotting to find a way to put an end to the forced segregation. Through their undercover work, it is discovered that everything is not what it seems. Some powerful people have been working to sway elections and votes. They have been deceptively instigating violent riots at peaceful protests so that the country believes that a race problem exists. As this resistance group searches for a way to fight tyranny, their lives and the lives of their loved ones are put in grave danger. Will these brave people find a way for justice to prevail? Will Emma and Dylan ever be reunited with Tee?

I think this novel could be masterful with another round of editing. Beyond the numerous grammatical errors, there are places that the writing could be changed to be more realistic. The chatroom conversations, in particular, felt forced and contrived. The moments that I found myself doubting the plausibility of the story were my least favorite parts.

On the other hand, this book serves as a relevant warning against the dangers of racism. At a time when our nation’s politics have been divisive, it is important to be warned against mindlessly jumping on a bandwagon of hate. A policy of forced segregation in this country in present-day may seem far-fetched. However, it is all too easy to make some group a scapegoat for our nation’s problems. Through that synergy of bitterness, evil policies can be made to look good. The story of Emma and Tee reminds us that the people affected by a political policy are real people. When we dehumanize others based on any criteria, we will inevitably treat them in an inhumane way. The author’s courage in addressing these touchy themes is what I enjoyed most about this novel.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. Due to the grammar issues and the parts of the plot that needed to be more realistic, I deducted one star. I recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys reading dystopias or relevant political topics in a fictional tale. The reader should know, this book includes some profane language and an explicit sexual scene.

The Bliss of Ignorance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like the fact that the book is anti-racism. I can’t imagine otherwise. However, I also feel divisions within the family for whatever reason is just as bad. Thanks for an enjoyable review.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. I can envision our world moving into the direction that you describe in your review. Unfortunately we seem to have taken a few steps back where racism is concerned.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:

Miller56 wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 11:09 Thanks for the review. I can envision our world moving into the direction that you describe in your review. Unfortunately we seem to have taken a few steps back where racism is concerned.
Unfortunately, this is the case. Thank you for stopping by.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:

Wyland wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 06:16 I like the fact that the book is anti-racism. I can’t imagine otherwise. However, I also feel divisions within the family for whatever reason is just as bad. Thanks for an enjoyable review.
Divisions within this family were very trying. Thank you for commenting.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It seems chat room conversations are the hardest to write realistically. Any time the dark web is mentioned in interested. How exactly does one acess that? Is it real or only a myth? Anyway, the plot sounds exciting. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

An interesting alternate reality novel featuring poignant social commentary. It definitely sounds like my sort of read. Thanks for the review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds like a unique way to address the topic of racism. I wonder if the book explains how the country got to this state of separation of people - even families. You have piqued my interest about Tee and Emma. Thanks for your compelling review!
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 20:45 It seems chat room conversations are the hardest to write realistically. Any time the dark web is mentioned in interested. How exactly does one acess that? Is it real or only a myth? Anyway, the plot sounds exciting. Thanks.
Chat room conversations do appear to pose a challenge. I don't know how you access that mysterious deep dark web either. It is kind of intriguing. Thanks for commenting.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:

Tomah wrote: 23 Oct 2019, 11:08 An interesting alternate reality novel featuring poignant social commentary. It definitely sounds like my sort of read. Thanks for the review!
You nailed the decription if this book! If you read it, I hope you enjoy it. This is book one of a trilogy. Thanks for commenting.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:

kdstrack wrote: 23 Oct 2019, 18:34 This sounds like a unique way to address the topic of racism. I wonder if the book explains how the country got to this state of separation of people - even families. You have piqued my interest about Tee and Emma. Thanks for your compelling review!
The book addresses this little by little as the book progresses, though you are mostly thrown into this alternate reality in the beginning without a clue as to how things became like this. Thanks for stopping by!
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Racism is very difficult to deal with. The book seems good in dealing about this. Thanks.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

This looks like such a brilliant plot. This is an interesting way to bring to light the evils of racial separation. Too bad there are so many grammatical errors. Nice review!
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:

jeminah28 wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 19:27 Racism is very difficult to deal with. The book seems good in dealing about this. Thanks.
I believe the author worked hard to handle this issue respectfully. Thanks for commenting.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:

MrunalT wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 03:16 This looks like such a brilliant plot. This is an interesting way to bring to light the evils of racial separation. Too bad there are so many grammatical errors. Nice review!
The plot was well-executed. Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”