Official Review: Before Your Last Breath

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Official Review: Before Your Last Breath

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Before Your Last Breath" by Jilliana Raymond.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Physical death is not optional. It is a human inevitability that we can’t test, cheat, or buy our way out of. Our spiritual and personal experiences inform what we believe about death and how we choose to prepare for it. Jilliana Raymond, an end-of-life doula and spiritual consultant, addresses these subjects in her 2019 book Before Your Last Breath: Your Spiritual Transition and End-of-Life Planning.

Raymond’s book serves multiple functions. It is primarily a comprehensive guide to help people prepare themselves and loved ones for their death passage. The practical runs concurrently with a certain, sometimes esoteric, spiritual orientation. Raymond shares her beliefs about the afterlife, based on her work as an end-of-life doula, a non-medical support for death transitions. She has witnessed death and interviewed individuals who have had near-death experiences. Her work supports her belief that death is but “an inviting image of an awaiting spiritual life.”

Practically, the book is very complete. From medical directives and personal wishes to after-death procedures and funeral matters, Raymond covers tremendous ground. She includes important first steps to be carried out by your personal representative. Most of us will be in that position at least once, and the first time is pretty overwhelming. The final section includes state-by-state funeral costs and legal requirements as well as sample documents and useful forms.

I was impressed with this book. Raymond not only guides you through end-of-life planning; she gives you the tools. Maybe you want to direct your survivors to your passwords – or you realize a friend not known to your family would want to be notified if you died. There are forms in the book for recording these items.

Raymond encourages preparing spiritually for your own death by cleaning up unfinished business, such as apologies, thank-yous, and areas needing forgiveness. She outlines what happens as we closely approach death, using just enough detail to demonstrate what to expect if a loved one is dying. Though it’s impossible to predict, understanding some of the known markers may soothe in an angst-filled time.

I was mildly tripped up by Raymond’s characterization of the afterlife. She writes about the loving embrace that awaits, though those who have “lived on the fringe of society” or feel their lives to be unfair may experience something different. It rings strangely to be told by anyone, a priest, evangelical, atheist, or spiritual doula, a story about something that can’t possibly be predicted. I felt a bristle, thinking someone who experienced a particularly hard life might not be equally received with love.

Technically, this book is presented cleanly and professionally. The digestible sections facilitate understanding of the sometimes uncomfortable subject matter. Raymond’s editor did a fine job as I found only a few minor errors.

Having witnessed numerous death passages and settled as many family estates, I am familiar with this material. Jilliana Raymond is broadly knowledgeable about the subject matter. While the content may be challenging for people who prefer not to look at death, the author meets this with directness and sensitivity. Based on this and the impeccable presentation, I offer Before Your Last Breath 4 out of 4 stars.

It’s not uncommon for people to avoid end-of-life planning. Inadequate preparation often creates an unnecessary burden for our survivors. This comprehensive guide may make it easier to make the effort and face the inevitable. I can’t think of an adult who wouldn’t benefit from this book. Whether you are well-versed in end-of-life matters or are uncomfortable thinking about it, this book can serve as a hands-on guide or an initial introduction to the topic.

Before Your Last Breath
View: on Bookshelves
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds like an indispensable manual on a subject we often prefer not to think about. I agree that the implication that the afterlife is less pleasant for those who've struggled on earth is odd - and certainly at odds with any spiritual tradition I know. I enjoyed your well-written review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This seems like a very insightful book, that even if you don't agree with some of the things it says - for example I totally reject the idea that someone who experienced a particularly hard life might not be equally received with love - it gives you food for thought. Thank you very much for your review!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This is the typical elephant-in-the-room book. Kudos to the author for addressing the elephant with such grace.
Love your review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 23 Oct 2019, 01:48 This sounds like an indispensable manual on a subject we often prefer not to think about. I agree that the implication that the afterlife is less pleasant for those who've struggled on earth is odd - and certainly at odds with any spiritual tradition I know. I enjoyed your well-written review.
Yes, I'm always glad when I see a book like this and hope people are reading them. I almost didn't mention the afterlife issue, but it bothered me. Otherwise a really fine book. Thank you so much for stopping by!
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 05:21 This seems like a very insightful book, that even if you don't agree with some of the things it says - for example I totally reject the idea that someone who experienced a particularly hard life might not be equally received with love - it gives you food for thought. Thank you very much for your review!
I actually think what the author was meaning was that if someone feels their life was unfair (whether it was a hard life or not) that can affect our afterlife - that how we perceive our lives may matter. Either way, I bristled a little. Otherwise, this is a really well-executed book. Thanks for stopping in!
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Bianka Walter wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 09:12 This is the typical elephant-in-the-room book. Kudos to the author for addressing the elephant with such grace.
Love your review :)
Yes, this is one of those books everyone could use. Practical on many levels. Thank you for dropping in!
-Nayyirah Waheed
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I think spiritual people will relate more with the book. I have read a lot about the said theme from the Hindu point of view. I am interested in seeing if this book also talks from a perspective of any religion. Comparative analysis is my primary interest. Nice review!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

MrunalT wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 03:25 I think spiritual people will relate more with the book. I have read a lot about the said theme from the Hindu point of view. I am interested in seeing if this book also talks from a perspective of any religion. Comparative analysis is my primary interest. Nice review!
Yes, it's both spiritual and practical in nature. Definitely worth the read! Thanks so much for coming by.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

While I appreciate that the author gives practical information and know that it is vital, it is too bad that it might cause some people to "bristle" as you did. Books like this should be available in every independent living and retirement home.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It is in our human nature to avoid things that are painful or trouble us. This book is a good way to help people, not only think about the inevitable, but also make plans to prepare themselves and their family members. Thanks for your reflective review.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

diana lowery wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 15:47 While I appreciate that the author gives practical information and know that it is vital, it is too bad that it might cause some people to "bristle" as you did. Books like this should be available in every independent living and retirement home.
The bristling was momentary, but the book is solid. I agree these books need to be read. People tend to avoid the subject. Thanks for dropping by, Diana.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

kdstrack wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 10:23 It is in our human nature to avoid things that are painful or trouble us. This book is a good way to help people, not only think about the inevitable, but also make plans to prepare themselves and their family members. Thanks for your reflective review.
Thanks so much for dropping by. People are generally fairly naive about how important this kind of planning is.
-Nayyirah Waheed
_Poo_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by _Poo_ »

This is no doubtly a great philosophy of life... It will help those who are very much confused in their life! Such a great thoughts!!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”