Official Review: The E&N Escape by P.N.Holland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The E&N Escape by P.N.Holland

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The E&N Escape" by P.N.Holland.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Billy, Ricky, and Sarah (Billy's sister) travel together on the E&N Railroad. Sarah has a soccer game nearby, and, since the boys have a project due on the railroad, it's a great time to do their research. Unfortunately, on the way, Billy and Ricky disappear, leaving Sarah to continue to her game alone.

Meanwhile, Billy and Ricky are sucked into the future. The leaders of that time need their help. Since the two are wizards, the Council wants them to stop an evil wizard named Mohryia. Will they be able to defeat this evil? Will the boys be able to keep their family safe (and in the dark)?

The E&N Escape by P.N. Holland is a young adult novel in the science fiction/fantasy genre. It's a fun book with short chapters designed to keep readers coming back for more. There are a few minor cuss words sprinkled throughout, but they are few and far between. With no explicit content, this would be appropriate for middle school or high school age kids.  In fact, Amazon lists the age range as 12 to 18.

Billy narrates the story from the first person point of view. When he's away from his sister, the story switches to third person limited. The switch was written well, and the story flowed smoothly from one to another.

The best children's and young adult books sneak education into them. They teach, oftentimes, without the child even knowing. This book did exactly that, which I found fascinating. We learn about the Kinsol Trestle, which is a real location in Canada. Teachers or parents could use this to engage the student further.

The book seems to be part of a series, but I couldn't tell where in the series this book fit. The information isn't on Amazon. It isn't the first, however, as there were hints throughout the book about previous adventures. We learn the boys are wizards, yet it isn't discussed how they came into their powers. I assume that's detailed in a previous story. Still, the plot worked well by itself with most of the story wrapped up. The only real hiccup to reading this book alone was a lack of character growth or knowledgeable; the protagonists weren't as relatable as if the series was read in order.

In addition, the book needed another round of editing. I found mistakes throughout the book. Though none were egregious with the majority being extra periods or missing apostrophes, there were more than ten mistakes.

I rate The E&N Escape 3 out of 4 stars due to the editing issues and somewhat shallow characters. It's worth a read; still, even though it's a stand-alone, the books would be more enjoyable if read in order. It would be helpful for the author to list the order of the books in the back or even number them. The audience for this would be anyone who loves a young adult adventure full of magic with a battle of good versus evil.

The E&N Escape
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

It's a pity the characters were shallow. This aspect would surely have bothered me, too. Great review! :tiphat:
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Mysteries on trains...always fun. Too bad the editing wasn't as thorough as it could have been. It sounds like this could be a fun series for young readers. Nice job on the review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

mmm17 wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 12:31 It's a pity the characters were shallow. This aspect would surely have bothered me, too. Great review! :tiphat:
I'm sure it's because it's the middle of the series. I think they were probably introduced more in another book. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

CommMayo wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 14:11 Mysteries on trains...always fun. Too bad the editing wasn't as thorough as it could have been. It sounds like this could be a fun series for young readers. Nice job on the review.
It definitely would be good if read in order. Thanks for the kind words!
—Neil Gaiman
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

The theme sounds interesting but not sure I would want to read it. I enjoy books where characters are well developed; shallow characters do not usually keep me interested in the story.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

MrunalT wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 02:37 The theme sounds interesting but not sure I would want to read it. I enjoy books where characters are well developed; shallow characters do not usually keep me interested in the story.
I understand, but I think you'd enjoy it if you started at the beginning of the series. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The book sounds interesting. I wonder why the blurb does not mention any previous works related to this book. Thanks for the detailed and enthralling review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I usually prefer to read series from the beginning, even if a particular book is supposed to be stand-alone, but I do enjoy light-hearted fantasy stories. Thanks for the review!
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

This sounds like a fun series for the youngsters. It's a bit upsetting that there are mistakes throughout the book and I think that characters may look like shallow due to this being a part of a series.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like your line about being, "sucked into the future." This is a theme that is particularly attractive to this target audience. The plot sounds compelling, but I would like to read the beginning of the series to see how they became wizards. Great analysis of the book.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kibetious wrote: 23 Oct 2019, 05:01 The book sounds interesting. I wonder why the blurb does not mention any previous works related to this book. Thanks for the detailed and enthralling review.
The series is ambiguous. I'd like more information about it. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Tomah wrote: 23 Oct 2019, 11:14 I usually prefer to read series from the beginning, even if a particular book is supposed to be stand-alone, but I do enjoy light-hearted fantasy stories. Thanks for the review!
Well, if you can find the first book, you'd greatly enjoy this series. If you do find it, please let me know. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Pearl Hijabi wrote: 23 Oct 2019, 14:18 This sounds like a fun series for the youngsters. It's a bit upsetting that there are mistakes throughout the book and I think that characters may look like shallow due to this being a part of a series.
It is a fun series that I'd love to see more of. The author has a great imagination. Thanks for your thoughts.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kdstrack wrote: 23 Oct 2019, 17:50 I like your line about being, "sucked into the future." This is a theme that is particularly attractive to this target audience. The plot sounds compelling, but I would like to read the beginning of the series to see how they became wizards. Great analysis of the book.
Yes! I'm very curious about how they found out they were wizards. That's the one part that was missing. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”