Official Review: The Dragon Without Wings by S.F. Clawson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: The Dragon Without Wings by S.F. Clawson

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dragon Without Wings" by S.F. Clawson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dragon Without Wings by S.F. Clawson, as the title suggests, is a children's book about a young dragon, Hopper, who is born without wings. Everyone else in his village has wings and although most of the other dragons accept him as he is, there are others that bully and ostracize him. His friend, Snow, and his cousin, Zephyr, find ways to play with him and treat him like a normal dragon. However, one day Snow falls ill with the same illness his late grandmother had. Despite his physical disadvantages, Hopper follows in his grandfather's footsteps and makes plans to fly over the mountains in search of a special flower, the only thing that can cure Snow's illness. Using ingenuity and the cooperation of his friends and fellow villagers, Hopper must go on an adventure to a place that no one has ever returned from.

Hopper is such a sweet and resilient dragon. Despite the sometimes intense bullying he endures, especially from adults in the village, he never takes his anger or frustration out on other dragons. Instead, he turns it into energy to improve himself and prove the bullies wrong.

I really enjoyed the story's fast pace and the way the author tied parts of the story together so that there are no extraneous events. I thought that most of the book would be devoted to Hopper's travels during his adventure, but that was not the case. The author took the time to set up the story and characters so that by the time Hopper's adventure started, I was cheering for him as much as his friends and family were.

There were only two majors issues with the book. The first was that the author did not know the difference between "its" and "it's." Many of the mistakes I took note of were related to the misuse of those words and other possessive errors. Also, there were a few areas in the book where the dialogue was choppy. I felt like the author could have simplified the dialogue or left it out altogether for a smoother read. Another thing that may bother some people is the bullying that Hopper endures. It does get physical at times and may be a little much for very young readers. Not to mention the descriptions of broken bones and other injuries he gets while on his adventure are not for the squeamish.

Although I want to give The Dragon Without Wings 4 out of 4 stars because I enjoyed it so much, the numerous grammatical errors have forced me to give it only 3 out of 4 stars. In my opinion, this is a great children's story that shows a character overcoming difficulties and relying on others to grow as a person and accomplish great things. I believe all children would be interested in it, but especially children with disabilities or those who feel like they don't belong will be happy to see the representation of characters similar to themselves.

The Dragon Without Wings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I like children's books with good underlying themes and this book seems to have a lot of great lessons for kids. I hope the author works on the errors. Thanks for your review.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

Hopper seems to be such a sweet dragon. The book looks like it carries a nice message for children. Nice review!
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

This is a story I can easily imagine reading with my granddaughter. "How can he fly over the mountains without wings? Does he mean hike? But that's so far, those mountains are so big and snowy! Will his friends carry him?"
Yes, all those questions and more. I think she'll love this.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love Hopper, but I'm sad he was born without wings. I hope he finds a way to fly and get this special flower for his friend. I might have to try this even though I'm not in the age bracket for it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This sounds like a lovely book for slightly older kids who love fantasy stories.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

It sounds like such a compelling read.
It's always inspiring to see characters who don't let the painful experiences in their lives turn them evil, which could be much easier than most people realise. Great review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love this story! Hopper sounds like he has a sweet personality. I agree that the bullying sounds a bit harsh, but that just highlights his character. Great review.
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

kdstrack wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 23:23 I love this story! Hopper sounds like he has a sweet personality. I agree that the bullying sounds a bit harsh, but that just highlights his character. Great review.
Thank you!
I also think the bullying would be a great topic-opener when reading with kids, so you can discuss things like what they would do in that situation. Most people say to tell an adult, but what if it's an adult who's doing the bullying?
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

If it's an adult doing the bullying, definitely tell a different adult.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

I love this modern way of portraying the dragons with human-like qualities. This sounds like a great adventure. Thanks for an inciteful review.
Fairyland1010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Fairyland1010 »

This would be great book for me to read to my child. It sad he got bullied and this would be a great influence. For young kids to read this book and learn not to bully. It sounds like it has some good lessons in it. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Children's Books”