Official Review: The exquisiteness of being in the presen...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: The exquisiteness of being in the presen...

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The exquisiteness of being in the present moment" by Harry Lindwall.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Living in the moment can be a challenge. Sometimes it's great to daydream, don't get me wrong, but no one wants to nervously contemplate everything that can go wrong in their spare time. For instance, I hate getting any kind of shot from the doctor. If I know a shot is coming, I'll panic about it for days or even weeks, even though it takes a doctor mere seconds to actually give me the shot.

Harry Lindwall has come up with a way to escape these moments of anxiety, fear, and self-doubt by living in the moment. The Exquisiteness of Being in the Present Moment: A Mental Journey into Discovery (author's capitalization) is a very brief nonfiction account of Harry's method of avoiding what he calls "projected thoughts." Harry wrote that projected thought is, and I quote, "the familiar process of creating or imagining scenarios in the mind of future or past events and then mentally analyzing or working through them while often experiencing the emotions that may have attached themselves to the imagined situations."

After explaining what projected thoughts are, this 36-page book explains how to find the present moment. Harry then dives into maintaining the feeling of being in the present moment for as long as possible. The present moment, Harry says, is calm, positive, and grounded. It also has long-lasting effects that are very positive!

The thing is, this is a very short book. While Amazon says it's 36 pages long, it only takes up 24 screens in my Kindle app. On top of that, half of the screens are made up of at least 50% white space. If I had to guess, this would make the book 10-12 pages long. Harry explores the topic thoroughly, and any added content would likely just be filler that would draw out the book unnecessarily, but it's worth mentioning just how short it is. I also happened to find four errors, which is a fair number of errors for such a short book.

I liked Harry's method of finding the present moment, and it's something I'll be putting to use in my daily life for sure. Without spoiling what it is (since the method itself the main draw of the book), I'll say that it's very simple and easy to do. I'd recommend this book to anyone who deals with anxiety, self-doubt, or nervous energy. Harry's writing is straightforward, easy to read, thorough, and flows smoothly from beginning to end. My rating of the book is 3 out of 4 stars.

The exquisiteness of being in the present moment
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I am now wondering what Harry’s approach is. Kudos to him for laying it out succinctly. “Tomorrow will worry about itself.”
Thanks for your review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

Since it's such a short read, I feel like I have to find out what his method is. I liked your inclusion about your fear of shots. It made me think about anxieties in my life and how this book might benefit me.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

This sounds like a book I need to read! I love that it's short, so it won't take too long to find out the method. It's too bad there were errors. Hopefully they aren't too distracting. Thanks for the review!
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

I should seek out this book and read it already. I like the fact that it's brief and can be read in minutes. Thanks for your review.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Something short and sweet yet very thorough is always good, and that it deals with living in the moment is always a plus. I do have to wonder at the formatting though, if it can be compressed down to less than half the current length.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

This short book sounds very helpful. I also find it hard to focus on the present sometimes. Thanks for your review!
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Living in the present could really help put away anxieties and worries. Thanks for the review
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Brett Linette »

To say that I'm just curious as to what the method is would be an understatement. If it's as easy as you've made it sound, I'd like to apply it to my life.

May you enjoy my reviews as much as I've enjoyed yours.

𝓟𝓻𝓲𝓭𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”