Official Review: The Magician Cat by Hawk Selah

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: The Magician Cat by Hawk Selah

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Magician Cat" by Hawk Selah.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Author Hawk Selah presents The Magician Cat. The magician cat is known far and wide, and he is in town. He has a surprise final magic trick for the children who are here to see his show. Alas, in the middle of the act, an important prop goes missing! The cat begs the children for help to find it. Will the children help? Will the show go on?

The story is told in only nine pages, four of them full-page pictures. The pictures are vibrant and will catch the eye of the target audience: young children. The other five pages contain twenty rhyming verses.

The verses are generally written in simple language that kids would understand. There are a few words that may be unfamiliar, though, like “marveling,” “trickster,” “steep,” “staggering,” and “abound.” A tutor may need to explain those new words or teach the youngsters to consult a dictionary. While the rhyming would sustain interest, there are forced rhymes that may not be appreciated by children. The final line seems abrupt, too.

The verses, at four to a page, are too crowded. Since every page has a white orb against a dark blue background, the words written on the blue part are hard to decipher. I suggest that only two verses occupy a page, so these can be accommodated inside the white orb.

While the pictures are nicely drawn, I believe there should be more of them. Also, the facial features of the characters have to be worked on to show more realistic emotions. Right now, the cat wears the same expression in three of the four pictures. The illustrator also needs to ensure continuity; in one picture, the cat is shown sans his cape. The cover page may likewise not be appropriate as it depicts a Halloween setting when there is nothing spooky in the book.

While the story has some chase scenes (reminiscent of Sylvester hounding Tweety Bird) to excite the youngster, there is no clear moral lesson. The cat seeks the help of the children, but the promise of payment takes away the good in the deed. This may be another area for the author’s consideration.

I also noted various errors in the verses. These are mostly improper punctuation and inaccurate words. Children’s books ought to have flawless grammar to be effective learning tools.

I give this book 2 out of 4 stars for now. It will entertain kids up to ten years old. School-age kids can read it on their own; the younger ones will enjoy it being read to them by an expressive narrator. Reading the verses aloud would be ideal to take advantage of the rhymes. Nevertheless, the author needs to improve the grammar and illustrations and to inject a moral lesson. Those enhancements will work like magic. While the author is wielding their wand, they may want to give the cat a name.

The Magician Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

I like how you've phrased your critique regarding the presentation and artwork.
It appears the read has quite a ways to go, what with the grammar, art and moral lesson. I enjoyed reading your review.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

It sounds like this book had potential but missed the mark in execution. Hopefully your suggestions will help the author improve it so kids can enjoy it!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 06:11 I like how you've phrased your critique regarding the presentation and artwork.
It appears the read has quite a ways to go, what with the grammar, art and moral lesson. I enjoyed reading your review.
Thank you for your appreciation. I'm a kid at heart. :D
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

unamilagra wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 15:46 It sounds like this book had potential but missed the mark in execution. Hopefully your suggestions will help the author improve it so kids can enjoy it!
It's fun now, but it can be so much better. Thanks for your two cents!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I agree with you that children's books should be impeccably edited. It sounds like a fun book, but it needs work. I hope the author can use your review to improve his work. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kandscreeley wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 19:33 I agree with you that children's books should be impeccably edited. It sounds like a fun book, but it needs work. I hope the author can use your review to improve his work. Thanks.
The book somehow reminds me of The Cat in the Hat, IMO the most famous unnamed cat. Meow to all the 🐈 I've loved before!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Aw man. This sounds like such a cute idea, so to have it be bogged down by these flaws is a bummer. I hope the author takes your advice into consideration because it sounds like something children would enjoy otherwise.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Nisha Ward wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 03:04 Aw man. This sounds like such a cute idea, so to have it be bogged down by these flaws is a bummer. I hope the author takes your advice into consideration because it sounds like something children would enjoy otherwise.
Thanks for the sweet words. Hope you are doing much better, too, health-wise and Hemmingway-wise.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Miriam Molina wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 03:16
Nisha Ward wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 03:04 Aw man. This sounds like such a cute idea, so to have it be bogged down by these flaws is a bummer. I hope the author takes your advice into consideration because it sounds like something children would enjoy otherwise.
Thanks for the sweet words. Hope you are doing much better, too, health-wise and Hemmingway-wise.
I am, thank you!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

He's a curious cat of mystery if he doesn't even have a name. I love the Tweety bird reference! I hope the author will take your excellent suggestions for improvement on board.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 15:31 He's a curious cat of mystery if he doesn't even have a name. I love the Tweety bird reference! I hope the author will take your excellent suggestions for improvement on board.
Thanks, Alice! Tweety was a personal favorite. "I tawt I taw a puddy tat!"
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

Children books are a great tool to teach younger kids important lessons that will help them in future. Books with no moral lesson would be waste of time.
Thanks a lot for the insightful review :tiphat:
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Aniza Butt wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 07:24 Children books are a great tool to teach younger kids important lessons that will help them in future. Books with no moral lesson would be waste of time.
Thanks a lot for the insightful review :tiphat:
Thank you for visiting and sharing your thoughts.
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

Totally adorable with the comparison with Tweety and Sylvester,I think I'd give it one read just for that. Thanks for the great review

Return to “Children's Books”