Official Review: Solving The Race Issue In America

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Official Review: Solving The Race Issue In America

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Solving The Race Issue In America" by H J Harris.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What responsibility do current generations have for wrongs committed in the past? Can laws change deep social and psychological structures? How much have we really progressed? These and other important questions lie at the heart of H. J. Harris’ Solving the Race Issue In America. It's a book that closely examines the historical, psychological, and spiritual aspects of race relations in the United States.

The book is divided into twelve chapters, each approaching the topic of race from a different angle. The author is a retired attorney who joined the civil rights movement in the 1960s, so he has a wealth of experience dealing with discrimination. Harris tries bringing forth a comprehensive overview of black Americans throughout history, including matters related to the mentalities of individuals.

Central to the discussion is the concept of the Paradigm of Slavery, which has been entrenched in the country’s core for most of its history. The author claims that this paradigm has lead to the Slave Mentality and Slave Behavior that still affect black Americans today. The only way we can successfully move past this paradigm is by introducing a Paradigm of Freedom that directly counters the message of slavery.

It’s important to note that the author adopts a Christian worldview, so readers outside the faith might not be fully convinced by some of his arguments. For example, he argues that America’s treatment of black people in the past was akin to hating God, a sin that can be inherited by future generations. One can still enjoy the book through a secular perspective, however, as many of the cited religious principles are universal.

There are many historical documents and incidents featured in the book that help the reader understand the dimension of racism in the United States. For example, the author talks about the horrific Tulsa race riot of 1921, which I wasn't familiar with. He also discusses the reconstruction attempts after the Civil War in vivid detail, including testimony from former slave Abram Colby.

Sadly, some questionable information flies under the radar. The book spends a lot of time dissecting the supposed William Lynch speech, widely believed to be a hoax. The “hundredth monkey phenomenon,” a hypothesis based on a real study but distorted by misinterpretations, is also discussed without much critical examination. These dubious claims can make the reader mistrustful of the legitimate facts and studies presented by the author.

Solving the Race Issue In America is an interesting meditation on race and Christianity that falls short for two reasons: the previously mentioned lack of critical research on some topics and the poor editing. I found over ten errors in the book, mostly missing punctuation and misspelled words. So my final rating is 2 out of 4 stars. It can be a worthwhile read if you’re interested in the United States and its racial history.

Aside from dated words used in historical contexts like Negro, the book is generally free from profanities. That said, due to the complex subject matter and mention of topics like rape, I don’t recommend it to younger audiences. I also don’t recommend it to readers who hate spiritual and religious content.

Solving The Race Issue In America
View: on Bookshelves
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. I generally do not like to read books of this nature because generally they are based on the opinion of the author. I think I will pass on reading this book.
Stancyprain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Stancyprain »

Am not okay with the use of the word "rape" it's not good for children instead replace that word rape with forcing himself on the opposite sex. Well the book has a well elaborated intention in going against racism.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

Though I'm a Christian, I prefer looking at general life issues from a stereotypical stand point. I think some facts would have helped to drive home the author's arguments.
Polly69
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Polly69 »

I found the reviews to be ignorant of the fact that our Black African Americans are still being a lack of education. I believe they still have a slave mentally. This was obvious in the review. I like that there is a Christian view point.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I would have been interested in reading about the racial history, but I am sure I would not much enjoy the spiritual and religious perspectives in this context.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is a difficult subject to address. I like that the author has included so much information that may not be well known. You did a superb job of highlighting both the strengths and the weaknesses of the book. Great review!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Subjectivity is sometimes a pitfall of nonfiction work. I'm glad the author has taken the time to view the topic of slavery from multiple facets, and regardless of the book's issues, this is admirable. I do hope the issues are fixed, though. Great review, as always.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Stancyprain wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 15:51 Am not okay with the use of the word "rape" it's not good for children instead replace that word rape with forcing himself on the opposite sex. Well the book has a well elaborated intention in going against racism.
Sam_Ibeh wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 17:01 Though I'm a Christian, I prefer looking at general life issues from a stereotypical stand point. I think some facts would have helped to drive home the author's arguments.
Polly69 wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 19:15 I found the reviews to be ignorant of the fact that our Black African Americans are still being a lack of education. I believe they still have a slave mentally. This was obvious in the review. I like that there is a Christian view point.
MrunalT wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 02:35 I would have been interested in reading about the racial history, but I am sure I would not much enjoy the spiritual and religious perspectives in this context.
kdstrack wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 10:20 This is a difficult subject to address. I like that the author has included so much information that may not be well known. You did a superb job of highlighting both the strengths and the weaknesses of the book. Great review!
Dentarthurdent wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 11:32 Subjectivity is sometimes a pitfall of nonfiction work. I'm glad the author has taken the time to view the topic of slavery from multiple facets, and regardless of the book's issues, this is admirable. I do hope the issues are fixed, though. Great review, as always.
Miller56 wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 15:07 Thanks for the review. I generally do not like to read books of this nature because generally they are based on the opinion of the author. I think I will pass on reading this book.
Thanks for the comments! It's certainly an interesting read if you're interested in the subject.
iamjakepitts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjakepitts.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iamjakepitts »

Appreciate the review. I appreciate hearing the unique point of view of someone who has lived through several generations and waves of facing racism. Will add this to my shelf!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

It's a pet peeve of mine when books like this aren't well researched. Otherwise they tend to seem like biased ranting. Thank you for a very insightful review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

unamilagra wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 18:39 It's a pet peeve of mine when books like this aren't well researched. Otherwise they tend to seem like biased ranting. Thank you for a very insightful review!
iamjakepitts wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 15:31 Appreciate the review. I appreciate hearing the unique point of view of someone who has lived through several generations and waves of facing racism. Will add this to my shelf!
Thanks for the comments! Indeed, the book could do with a bit more careful research, but it's an interesting read if you're interested in the subject and don't mind the Christian perspective.
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

"Solving the Race issue in America " by H.J.Harris.
It is a book that closely examines the historical, psychological and spiritual aspects of race relations in the United States.The author who has joined the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s, and in this respect he a wealth of experience dealing with discrimination.The author believes that the black American are still in the grip of slave mentality and this Slave Mentality still affect many black American today.He further says that the only way to leave this slave mentality behind is through the adoption of or introducing a paradigm of freedom that directly would counter the message of slavery.The author has also cited the horrific Tulsa race riot of 1921,as an example of racism.The idea of Christian worldview about Slavery and it angers God is also a good example and does not contradict any universally accepted human values.Those who are against any form of discrimination then this book would greatly help them.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

Sounds like this could have been a great book but fell short of the mark. Thanks for the review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

rumik wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 09:00 Sounds like this could have been a great book but fell short of the mark. Thanks for the review!
True, I actually learned some very interesting things while reading it, so I would love to give it a higher rating if it weren't for the issues.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”