Official Review: The Russian Lieutenant by Peter Marshall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Official Review: The Russian Lieutenant by Peter Marshall

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Russian Lieutenant" by Peter Marshall.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Marina Peters is a successful career woman working as an accountant for the Royal Navy at Portsmouth. We find her at the beginning of the story waiting to receive a man she has never met. Marina and Nikolai Aldanov had interacted on a dating website. He is expected to arrive aboard one of the three Russian frigates that will be refueling at Portsmouth. Nikolai had informed her that he was a navy lieutenant at the Russian Navy Port of Sevastopol. What Marina did not know is that there was a lot she was yet to discover. Her relationship with Nikolai was the first step into the dark web of international spying.

The Russian Lieutenant was authored by Peter Marshall. It is part crime, part thriller, and part mystery. The book contains only 129 pages and hence can be read in a single sitting. The author served as an officer in the Royal Navy in Portsmouth. Therefore, his elaborate description of the setting of the story was not only accurate but also mesmerizing. His early career as a journalist also enhanced the journalism aspect of the story. The addition of life experiences and practical mastery in writing undoubtedly gives this fascinating story some tenability.

Twists and turns were one of the most outstanding characteristics of this book. In as much as it was possible to foresee some events, some developments came unannounced. There were moments when these twists and turns affected the reader only, and some where other characters were puzzled by the unexpected turn of events as well. The other unique feature is how the book typically reveals the underworld of international espionage. No player wants to be left behind. There is no end to the spying web. When one thinks everything has been brought to light, one more secret is revealed. These and many features leave the reader turning from one page to another to discover more.

The characters were adequately developed. The compelling character-driven plot was also excellently built, and the main conflict was settled unexpectedly. However, some knots seem to have been left untied. I will be unable to explain this well without giving away some spoilers. For instance, the reader is left questioning why Victor Peters, Marina’s father, was reluctant in answering some questions. The other question that lingers long after reading the book is also the reason for the ultimate demise of Marina. The thing that I did not like in the book was where the definition and work of the directorate of the general staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation were given. The explanation occupied a single paragraph, but I felt it was out of place.

In summary, this was a fascinating book. The language adopted was simple, and editing was professionally done. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars due to the concerns above. Some of the issues raised as shortcomings of the book may be due to personal preferences, and in this way will not detract from the overall enjoyment of the book. I earnestly recommend the book to fans of crime, thriller, and mystery books.

The Russian Lieutenant
View: on Bookshelves
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

129 pages is a very short read. Not sure how I feel reading an intricate topic summed up so concisely.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love a book that keeps you on your toes. It does bother me, though, that there are missing pieces to the puzzle. Still, it seems intriguing enough with spying involved. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kathleen Wolfe
Favorite Book: The Hour Game
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathleen-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Kathleen Wolfe »

I feel that this is too short a read for me and I'm sure the loose ends in the book would nag me long after I'm done with it. Thanks for the review.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

This sounds like my kind of book. International spy and twisted plot. You write a good review, you do not have to convince me further. I will find time to read this one.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks a lot for the positive comments on my review. I am very grateful.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Any book that reveals the underworld of international espionage is worth reading. :mrgreen2:
Well done, Kibetious. You are a great member of this community. :tiphat:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Maybe the loose ends can be attributed to the brevity of the book. It does sound like a fascinating read, and I liked your thorough review. Great day!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Mamakachi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamakachi1.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Mamakachi1 »

I am convinced this book will make a good read,international espionage is always a winner for me.Thank you for your review.
Njoxs-19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njoxs-19.html
Latest Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by Njoxs-19 »

This is my kind of reads. About to read it now. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”