Official Review: Christmas Abiding by James B.Macomson,DDS

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Christmas Abiding by James B.Macomson,DDS

Post by Cristina Chifane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Christmas Abiding" by James B.Macomson,DDS.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Exquisitely edited and beautifully illustrated, Christmas Abiding: Stories of Blessings Bestowed reveals James B. Macomson’s gift for storytelling. Generously dedicated to readers at large, the book is a wonderful collection of five short stories carrying the joy and magic of Christmas. All these stories turn into fables that teach valuable lessons, very much like those in the Bible. Apart from rekindling the Christmas spirit, this collection does not allow us to lose faith: one way or another, the divine is always present in our lives.

God works in mysterious ways. This is, perhaps, the guiding principle in all of the five short stories in Macomson’s book. Although the time, setting, and characters are different, the stories work perfectly together due to their common message of love and tolerance. The author’s metaphorical and emphatic style creates a fairy tale atmosphere, somehow reminiscent of ancient epic tales.

“By Lantern’s Light”, the first story in the collection, has undoubtedly something of the unmistakable charm of old legends. Set in a mountain town, the story parallels two kinds of people, those of the mountains and those of the town. Because of their distinct ways of living, they only get together at the town’s open market on Saturdays. As Christmas approaches, the market’s activities increase and the two cultures exchange gifts. Jedediah, a mountain man living with his family in a secluded cabin, is responsible for the harvesting of the Christmas trees, the best gift the mountaineers could give to the town’s people. When Jed breaks his leg and his condition turns for the worse, there are high chances he may not live to see the Christmas morning. More than anything, Jed’s story reflects the importance of mutual understanding beyond any social or cultural differences.

My favorite story in the collection is the second one, “The Pen and the Rose”. It features a young promising graduate in English literature who gets hired by a respected publishing house, but is soon disgraced because of false accusations of plagiarism. Help comes from the most unexpected person, Ethan, an illiterate janitor. What I liked most of this story is the emphasis on the blessings of sharing and the belief in perseverance and redemption.

The light of the Christmas spirit also shines over the other three stories, “The Covenant”, “Of Rails and Envelopes”, and “The Christmas Chalice”. I am sure most readers will warm up to Paul’s story in “The Covenant”. With modesty and humility, the poor laundryman works tirelessly from dawn to sunset to earn a living and raise his 8-year-old son. His honesty and selfless character will ultimately become his salvation in the face of adversity. Similarly, the bankrupt banker in “Of Rails and Envelopes” learns that hard work is the only answer to the most difficult circumstances. Last but not least, “The Christmas Chalice” nicely rounds up the collection with the emotional story of a First World War veteran who has his right arm amputated and suffers from shell shock and combat stress disorder. The Christmas Eve he spends on the battlefield is an excellent reminder of what makes us all human and fragile in front of a greater power.

Even if they are inspired by Biblical fables and revolve around the Christmas light, the stories in this collection do not target exclusively Christian readers. On the contrary, the universal lessons they teach make me recommend them to all those who appreciate stories with a strong moral message. I wholeheartedly rate them 4 out of 4 stars. In a world where we find less and less time to stop and think of the consequences of our actions, Macomson’s collection gives us the chance to meditate on our daily choices and to look optimistically toward the future.

Christmas Abiding
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I've actually never read a book based on Christmas. I would always see them in the bookstore when the holidays came around but never gave them much thought. I might try this one though. Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I own a book of this nature by Catherine Palmer. So I would really like to read this book as well. Thanks for the great review and recommendation!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I have always loved the Christmas season. There is such joy in spite of the hustle and bustle that inevitably comes at that time of year. I look forward to reading this book. Thank you for a great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
ValerijaJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerijaj.html
Latest Review: Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna

Post by ValerijaJ »

This also sounds like a self-help book, to help you reflect on your actions. Sounds interesting, although I'm not a fan of Christian-based books.
Thanks for the review!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I love the premise of this book! It certainly is coming up to Christmas fast, so I think this is the perfect time to read it. Thanks for this compelling review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Thank you for your review. This collection of wonderful short stories involving Christmas sounds great for al readers. I am particularly interested in the second story "The Pen and The rose", it sounds like a nice story. I enjoy reading almost anything with an inspirational, moral, and optimistic theme. Thank you for the recommendation.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

This sounds like a really great book! I might have to put it on my list to read around the holidays. I've always thought God works in mysterious ways :)
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

These seem to be very heartwarming stories. Your description of the author as a storyteller is encouraging and explains the author's writing style. This looks appealing. Thanks for the recommendation.
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

Thank you for another informative and inspiring review. It sounds like it will be a wonderful read to have while cuddling up on a cold, winter evening.

I appreciate your reviews except I always want to get whatever you recommend and I may start running out of money. :(

Sincerely, Laura Lee :tiphat:
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”