Review by Sarah Tariq -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Review by Sarah Tariq -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery is a memoir that touches some extraordinary events of the author’s life. Every new challenge that appeared in his life alternated his life course to a new direction with new energy. He termed such phases the ‘burn zones’ of his life. As a successful entrepreneur, Mr. Newbery was fond of taking risks and facing daunting challenges. From a paperboy to a record mogul, from Olympic dreamer to a real-estate mogul is the story of the author’s unrelenting struggle towards his goals.

Buying the ice cream trike was Newbery’s first business acquisition. After quitting high school education, he joined a punk band and conducted several street concerts along with his mates. Then he became a bike racer; though, couldn’t make much out of it, it left a far-reaching impact on his life late on. From the seat of loan originator, he stepped into the real-estate business. As a real-estate mogul, he successfully bought many bankrupted properties like Ford Hotel, Pickwick Plaza, and turned them into profitable assets. However, the flagship project of Woodland Meadows proved to be his first leap towards bankruptcy. He was maligned, betrayed, and got frustrated. Was his pride, optimism, and risk-taking nature was the cause of his downfall? Could he revive his previous position?

Burn Zones is an inspirational story of the rise and fall of a man with many bitter and revitalizing life experiences. Mr. Newbery was the survivor with many wounds. He wrote in detail the business strategies that helped him to build a successful real-estate empire. He also discussed some bad decisions with some internal and external factors that buried him under the pile of debt. However, as an ambitious sportsman, he courageously faced all odds and his optimistic approach kept the ray of hope with him.

On the family side, his life was soothing. He spent the major part of his life at his parents’ home. Though he married late, it brought the happy turning in his life. Being the son of culturally diverse parents, he had great respect for other ethnicities, especially the black community of African-American people. However, he discussed a little about his siblings and other family members. Moreover, at many places he added his photos to elaborate the relevant text; this made the book more interesting. The pace was good in the start; however, it slowed down in the middle due to excessive business details that somehow boredoms the story. I wish the author had focused more on characters because some of them were either numb or had no representation at all. It is my only complaint about this book.

On the technical side, the book is the mirror of the author’s life, in which a reader can see happiness, grief, fear, loss, and betrayal from society. The writing style was easy to follow, frequently supported with references from newspapers about racial discrimination or perfidy; he had to face at the hands of city administration and police. Mr. Newbery maintains a very clear approach towards the administrative flaws and the subsequent dissatisfaction of the business community that is often blackmailed by administrative red-tapism.

On the essence, Burn Zones is a blend of autobiography, business strategies, and a protesting note against the prevailing social fabric that rarely incorporates the poor and marginalized sections of society and protects the rich and the white skin, and holds prejudice and stereotypical behavior towards the black members of their society. Simultaneously, it’s an inspirational memoir of a bike racer, who never knew to give up. Though it falls under the non-fiction genre, it has the taste of an unpredictable and twisting novel. The editing of this book is fine. Thus, I am pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars . It’s not for those who feel annoyed with excessive business details, especially of the real-estate business. Nevertheless, if you have a liking for real- estate business or seeking some inspirational life lessons; it’s a good book for you as everyone has to go through such burn zones in one’s life.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

Not often that I come across a perfect four rated book! It must have been a wonderful read and does sound swell too! Thanks for the great review
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Thanks, Sarah, for such a thorough review. I too rated this book with high marks. Non-fiction is not my usual read, but I must say that I found Newbery's life fascinating. I kept trying to find reasons to dislike him, since I started reading it with the preconceived notion that he was a slum lord. But it turned out that he was not. Far from it.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I find it encouraging when an author shares their story to the readers in writing. The experiences and the lessons they learned can have a positive impact on the reader. Awesome review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Nerea wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 07:42 I find it encouraging when an author shares their story to the readers in writing. The experiences and the lessons they learned can have a positive impact on the reader. Awesome review.
Absolutely right. Experiences teach you a lot. Especially, bad people and bad experiences teach you much more than the good one . As you can do nothing with them but tolerate and avoid them. :)

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Nivi Gideon wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 13:04 Not often that I come across a perfect four rated book! It must have been a wonderful read and does sounds well too! Thanks for the great review
Thanks for stopping by!

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

djr6090 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 08:43 Thanks, Sarah, for such a thorough review. I too rated this book with high marks. Non-fiction is not my usual read, but I must say that I found Newbery's life fascinating. I kept trying to find reasons to dislike him, since I started reading it with the preconceived notion that he was a slum lord. But it turned out that he was not. Far from it.
I agree, his life had many ups and downs. His failures and successes made him mature enough to deal with different circumstances. Thanks for the feedback! :)

📕📖📰📓📕
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Have you read his other book? About working your way out of debt? I wonder if that would be as big of a surprise as Burnzones.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like the inspiration that Newbery's book inspires. He's accomplished quite a lot in his life through a supportive family and sheer hard work. Thanks for the compelling review of the book.
DonnaKay
Currently Reading: A Portrait of Mommy
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnakay.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by DonnaKay »

I love memoirs and from your review, I can tell this is an interesting book that I would look into.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

djr6090 wrote: 08 Oct 2019, 10:52 Have you read his other book? About working your way out of debt? I wonder if that would be as big of a surprise as Burnzones.
No, I haven't read that one. So, can't say anything. Nevertheless, the author is sufficiently experienced in managing debt :D . Thanks for dropping a comment!

📕📖📰📓📕
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

The author seems very inspirational, but this isn't the kind of book I like to read. Great review!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 19:53 The author seems very inspirational, but this isn't the kind of book I like to read. Great review!
Thanks for dropping a comment, Mbrooks!

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

DonnaKay wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 14:21 I love memoirs and from your review, I can tell this is an interesting book that I would look into.
It's good to see that you love memoirs. Otherwise, few like this. Thanks for giving feedback!

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Wyland wrote: 08 Oct 2019, 19:09 I like the inspiration that Newbery's book inspires. He's accomplished quite a lot in his life through a supportive family and sheer hard work. Thanks for the compelling review of the book.
Yeah, his spirit is so effervescent that many low moments didn't put him down. Thanks for commenting!

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”