Official Review: The Well of Souls. by Marlene Linton

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: The Well of Souls. by Marlene Linton

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Well of Souls." by Marlene Linton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Well of Souls is authored by Marlene Linton. This is her debut novel in the category of historical fiction. The publication consists of four books with 55 chapters and 790 pages. I was reluctant to select it because of the length, but the title and its description on Amazon made me curious about the contents.

The writer is very creative. However, I was sorely disappointed to find her work full of spelling mistakes and lack of basic punctuation such as full stops in many places. After a few chapters, I decided to proceed as if I was listening to the contents. It seems as if the author used speech-to-text software to create the books or did not bother to read the text even once after writing it. The length itself is an enormous strain to the reader’s memory. Nevertheless, the concept is unique and entertaining. The overall plot and emotional development of the characters are very good.

The author narrates the history of her grandparents, Adeline and Robert. The description of Adeline and her little children facing a storm on the farm, in Robert’s absence, is an unforgettable part of the story, which brought tears to my eyes. It is the best part of the novel. Robert has a relationship with a tribal woman, Bulra, who gives birth to their daughter, Koom. They are deeply influenced by the tribal spirituality of the Rainbow God. Adeline marries Charly Saunders after receiving the news of her husband’s death while he was away. She lovingly accepts Koom. The girl grows up into a graceful woman with strong character traits that make her stand out among other women in her age group. The writer is the third daughter of Koom and Mickey Linton, the protagonists of the story.

It is not possible to give details of the entire family and events in this lengthy novel, without spoiling the read. Some of the scenes are full of heart-wrenching pathos. They are vivid and still fresh in my mind. I appreciate the rural dimension and how siblings relate with each other in every generation of the family. Readers might enjoy reading it in bits. The adventures of the family are covered from 1890 to 1980 and include the impact of the Second World War. An important aspect relates to the author’s father, who desperately longs for a son despite having three daughters. He experiences an identity crisis after learning that he is a German Jew and not an Irish Catholic. This is also very interesting. He struggles to go back to his roots. However, the setting for most of the book is in Australia. It includes his psychological struggles in N. Africa.

As mentioned in the blurb on Amazon, this novel contains violence, adultery, and rape scenes. The “well of souls” is a concept found at various significant points in the story, but you need to read it to grasp the deep meaning. I am happy to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It will deserve a full rating after a round of professional editing. I did not give a lower rating because the writer is very creative, and I enjoyed the read. It may appeal to adults who like historical fiction and tribal spirituality with a lot of emotions. Psychologists may also like to read this novel. It is not meant for children because they might feel disturbed by the contents.

The Well of Souls.
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nicki43
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Nicki43 »

it is so sad to read this book and how women are treated in such pain and can't speak for themselves .
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

Wow! This is an incredibly long book. I commend you for taking the time to read it. The story seems interesting, but based on the poor editing and the mere length I don't think I'll read this one. Thanks for the review.
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

I don't mind reading long books as long as it is fast-paced and filled with adventure. It seems this book has neither of these things so I think I'll be sitting this one out. Thanks for taking the time to read and review this book.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
Ricky 7
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ricky-7.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ricky 7 »

Thanks for the review indeed this one for me is a no I will pass
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. I like reading historical novels and I don't mind reading long books as long as they are entertaining. I am not sure if this is a book I would want to read at this time.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I commend you for sticking through such a lengthy book! I'm not sure if this read is for me, so I'm going to pass for now. Thanks for your great review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I would be interested in reading this one after it is edited. The setting and character development you have described make this look like an intriguing story. Thanks for you honest review and insightful comments.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

Such a long book. I am trying to understand the relevance of the title to the story.

Return to “Historical Fiction”