Official Review: Dread Tribunal of Last Resort

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Dread Tribunal of Last Resort

Post by melissy370 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dread Tribunal of Last Resort" by Brian Kaufman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Here, in the dread tribunal of last resort, valor contended against valor. Here brave men struggled and died for the right as God gave them to see the right.” -Adlai E. Stevenson

Decker Brown travels back home to Richmond, Virginia intending to start a new business with his father. He had spent two years learning about rocketry from his uncle in Boston. Now reunited with his sweetheart, Paula, Decker's goals not only include a new enterprise but also asking her father for her hand in marriage. Unfortunately, the timing is not right. The American Civil War starts, and Virginians clamor to enlist with the army to defend their “peculiar institution.” Not a believer in slavery but still a Son of the South, a war begins within Decker on where his loyalties lie. Having to pick a side, he makes a choice and learns how cruel war really can be. No one comes out unscathed. 

Brian Kaufman’s Dread Tribunal of Last Resort is historical fiction like none other. Not shying away from darker themes, Kaufman touches upon every aspect of the war that could affect a person and their surrounding environment. The book shows the harsh realities of combat, doctors cutting off limbs for a lack of better treatment, and people rioting over a war that carried on far too long. Decker’s struggle with killing men who were once his countrymen was moving and deeply saddening. Kaufman also expresses through his characters how racism and slavery come in many forms. Some may have wanted freedom for African Americans but showed contempt for other ethnicities. Women had their own bondage as well with the social restrictions of that era. Quite unique also, is the use of new technology and how it plays out in the Civil War. Decker’s fascination with rocketry helped bring to the forefront how science was progressing during this time. 

All the characters were well drawn out. As the main character, Decker was the most complicated. Hailed as a genius one moment, and then later seen as a madman. My opinion ran all over the place on what to think of him throughout the story. He was a flawed man who made some flawed choices. This is what I think makes his character great. He was not perfect.

This book covers before and after the Civil War. With that broad of a period, the author does a great job of keeping the pace steady. There are a lot of twists and turns to the plot that will keep you guessing. I will admit, I was hoping for a different ending. This is not a complaint from me though. Life sometimes does not turn out the way we want it to, and we need to make the best of it. Decker’s life exemplifies that.

My history-nerd self was most excited about how the author fuses history and fiction together. I saw renown men from the past show up in the story like President Lincoln and General Lee. Something I never thought about before until reading this book was how the economy was affected postwar. A sudden surge of ex-slaves looking for work caused a shortage of jobs for everyone. I love it when a book teaches me new things.

I have nothing but love for this book. I only found a few grammatical errors in it, and it looked professionally edited. I give Dread Tribunal of Last Resort 4 out of 4 stars. Anyone who loves historical fiction would want to read this one. My only cautionary note would be (aside from the darker subjects aforementioned) that there are mild profanity and violence throughout.   

Dread Tribunal of Last Resort
View: on Bookshelves
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not a huge history buff, but I do enjoy books with good characters and a good plot. This sounds like it has quite a few good themes. Thanks for your thoughts.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

The book seems interesting, unfortunately, the themes are way too intense for me. I enjoyed your well-written review, thanks.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Decker sounds like a complex character. He certainly had some futuristic thinking going on with his interest in rocketry. I love books that add to one's knowledge of history. This looks good. Thanks for your captivating review.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

Excellent review. Your review makes me want to read this book. Good work!

Return to “Historical Fiction”