Official Review: Rethinking Possible

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Rethinking Possible

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rethinking Possible" by Rebecca Faye Smith Galli.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Looking back on your life, could you say "I would change nothing?" There are many decisions I'm happy with - my choice of spouse, for instance. But, I still have regrets. It makes me wonder how many of us are actually completely satisfied with the direction our lives have taken.

In Rethinking Possible: A Memoir of Resilience by Rebecca Faye Smith Galli, the author reflects on all that's happened in her past. She starts in her childhood with the untimely death of her brother and proceeds chronologically through her college years, to marriage, to children and beyond. Ms. Galli has experienced more than her fair share of suffering, but there are good memories as well. In this book she shares the good and bad equally, allowing her audience to experience the triumphs and trials as she does. Pictures of her and her family are also interspersed, and it was fun to be able to put a face to the names. This was even more enjoyable because they weren't all clumped together, but they appeared where appropriate in the book.

There was so much that I related to in this book. The author grows up in North Carolina, where I currently live. She mentions a hospital in Winston Salem, where my husband has been treated. One of her children is diagnosed with autism while I have a nephew with autism. You would be hard-pressed to find a situation that Ms. Galli doesn't have some experience with.

I enjoyed the author's realistic attitude. The author suffers through tough times, and she doesn't pretend that she was perfect throughout it all. She always comes out on the other side stronger for the experience; however, she can't always see the positive outcome during the testing. I could relate to all Ms. Galli went through even if I hadn't experienced it, and her experiences gave me hope that I could endure my suffering.

The book is so well written that I often forgot it was a memoir. The author has a way with words, and I found myself getting caught up in the events. It's rare that I say this about an autobiography, but I didn't want to put it down. I was engrossed in her life and wanted to find out how she handled each adversity life threw at her.

There is only a small amount of profanity in the book. Also, though there is a mention of faith and God, all religions should be comfortable reading this story. Even young adults could find solace in this book, but I especially recommend it to anyone facing any of the difficulties that Ms. Galli does. Still, anyone that enjoys reading a good story would appreciate this memoir.

All in all, there's literally nothing I can criticize in the book. There were only a few minor errors which did not take away from the message of the author. I admire her talent and her willingness to bare her life for us. Therefore, I rate Rethinking Possible 4 out of 4 stars. I hope many will read this book and have hope for their own future.

Rethinking Possible
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

Memoirs aren't my favorite books, but this one sounds more well-written and emotional than many novels out there. I might give it a chance sometime. Thanks for the review!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a book I would enjoy. Thanks for the great review.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like a great book written by someone with a healthy perspective on life. Thank you for your review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Well written memoirs are good for the soul, and serve as a reminder that all of us struggle and overcome, stumble and succeed. Life is a constant ebb and flow of trials and tribulations, and it's nice to remember we are never completely alone in the complexities we face behind closed doors. Thank you for providing such an honest and insightful review, as it sounds like this author has effectively connected with readers through the experiences shared within!
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

I really enjoy memoirs. I will have to keep my eye for this book in the future.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Tomah wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 12:15 Memoirs aren't my favorite books, but this one sounds more well-written and emotional than many novels out there. I might give it a chance sometime. Thanks for the review!
It's definitely better written than most memoirs I've read. It was captivating.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 12:33 This sounds like a book I would enjoy. Thanks for the great review.
I hope you get a chance to read it. It's worth it. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

MsH2k wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 14:05 This sounds like a great book written by someone with a healthy perspective on life. Thank you for your review.
She's one we can learn from. It's nice to see a memoir from someone who's down-to-earth. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 14:33 Well written memoirs are good for the soul, and serve as a reminder that all of us struggle and overcome, stumble and succeed. Life is a constant ebb and flow of trials and tribulations, and it's nice to remember we are never completely alone in the complexities we face behind closed doors. Thank you for providing such an honest and insightful review, as it sounds like this author has effectively connected with readers through the experiences shared within!
Exactly my thoughts! We will all struggle, but the question is how will we deal with it. Thanks for your thoughts!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

HeatherEi wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 16:09 I really enjoy memoirs. I will have to keep my eye for this book in the future.
I hope you do get to read it as it's entertaining and inspirational at the same time. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Sometimes, it can seem like no one knows what struggles you have been through in life. I feel that the author gives readers hope with her memoir and can relate to them. Great review!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This sounds like a very well-written and thought-provoking read. I'll be checking this one out. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

There has only been one memoir I've enjoyed reading. It's not my usual genre, but I do still try. I think I might like this one though. Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

I truly believe reading about others is how we grow as humans. This sounds like a powerful book. Thank you for reviewing.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”