Official Review: Ambrose and the Mermaid by Don Good

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Official Review: Ambrose and the Mermaid by Don Good

Post by NadineTimes10 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ambrose and the Mermaid" by Don Good.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ambrose Hope Greenback, a frog, is born and raised in the kindly, close-knit community of the Round Pond. Under the loving guidance of his parents, Ambrose grows up with a strong sense of values and a desire for adventure. After he loses his parents in two sudden tragedies, Ambrose leaves the pond and heads across the sea to the metropolis of Coralis. Planning to join his relatives, Uncle Caleb and Cousin Cecil, Ambrose hopes to make a fortune as his wealthy uncle has. However, Ambrose soon discovers that vices and dangers loom within the bustling city, and Cecil pulls an unwilling Ambrose into a risky scheme. Also, Ambrose is quick to become enamored with the alluring Madam Cosimo Cosette, who is rumored to be the last of the mermaids in Ambrose and the Mermaid: An Underwater Fable by the late author Don Good.

Twenty-three years after the passing of this author, someone found the manuscript of this novel intact. It is not a fable in the sense of a short tale, as this story is nearly four hundred pages long. Yet, it is a fable in the depiction of animal characters whose collective story conveys moral lessons.

This tale includes much more than Ambrose’s coming of age. In fact, despite the book’s title, as the plot develops and more characters in Coralis enter the story, Ambrose fades out of the lead, and the other major characters essentially take over. Their involvement and the city’s conditions expand the novel into one of intrigue, crime, urban culture and entertainment, politics, romance, social unrest, and the threat of civil war. Nevertheless, the author writes with such an accessible, tactful, and wholesome style that the story is appropriate for a wide range of readers, from middle grade to adult. The author purposely wields melodrama with heart and humor, and many readers may find comfort in the novel’s old-fashioned feel.

Now, while the book has various scenes of action, the pace is rather slow in a number of other areas. There are times when the author’s compounding details become superfluous in relation to the plot, or the characters’ thoughts seem to stretch past the point of revealing needed information. On a more technical note, the book has a moderate amount of errors. Letter case inconsistencies, verb tense confusion, and incorrect or missing punctuation are issues throughout the novel.

Overall, this is an imaginative and inspiring tale that can appeal to readers both young and old. However, the errors detract from the novel’s readability somewhat. Therefore, I give Ambrose and the Mermaid: An Underwater Fable a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I’d recommend it to readers who can appreciate a classic style of fiction where meaningful messages come through animal characters. Even so, because children are more likely to still be learning proper grammar and punctuation, the book should be closely reedited especially for younger readers within the intended general audience. Also, American readers should be advised that this novel is written in British English, which differs in spelling and punctuation from American English.

Ambrose and the Mermaid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a great read, but it is a shame about the errors and pacing inconsistencies. Thanks for this great review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

The premise of this book sounds quite interesting and unique. I enjoy books that have a sort of old-fashioned charm to them. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Rachel Lea wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 19:35 The premise of this book sounds quite interesting and unique. I enjoy books that have a sort of old-fashioned charm to them. Thanks for your review!
Yeah--I hope there will always be some authors around who opt for an old-fashioned style. :)
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

I thought Ambrose, the frog is the main character in the story. Why does he have to fade out of the lead? I like the themes that were used in the book. If the book is reedited, i might consider reading it but for now, i will skip. Thank you for the insightful review.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
Hellofeen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hellofeen.html
Latest Review: Rosemary's Beach House by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Hellofeen »

I hope this book is interesting as I have imagine it to be. It appears like cartoon world to me.
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Hellofeen wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 17:48 I hope this book is interesting as I have imagine it to be. It appears like cartoon world to me.
Some of the illustrations inside are very much like cartoons, and I could picture the bold, 3-D ones being movie posters! :D

The book has a few different illustrators, however, and not all of the illustrations are of the same style or quality. And none of them match the style of the book cover--a cover that doesn't do the story justice at all, in my opinion, especially in the typography.

While most of the illustrations are quite good individually, the book's overall design work is like an irregular hodgepodge that doesn't serve the book well visually. I thought about mentioning it in my review, in hopes that a graphic redesign to give the book a more uniform, cohesive style inside and out may be possible. But the review was already in danger of getting too long. :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

A new/old fable sounds intriguing. Has Aesop met his match? I'll have to read it to find out. Thanks for the lovely review!
Reader5698
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader5698.html
Latest Review: The Onion Picker: Carmen Basilio and Boxing In The 1950s by Gary B. youmans

Post by Reader5698 »

This sounds really interesting. At first I was a bit skeptical, but your review made me want to give it a try.
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Reader5698 wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 04:14 This sounds really interesting. At first I was a bit skeptical, but your review made me want to give it a try.
I'll admit the story turned out to be so much more than I thought it would be. I'm glad I read it! :)
Fruzzymorriz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fruzzymorriz »

This book is awesomely meaningful it's takes me around the globe.. Your review made me understand the book and story lines will make the world a better place

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”