Official Review: Beyond Doubt by Martha Rich

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Beyond Doubt by Martha Rich

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beyond Doubt" by Martha Rich.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

William Anton Rich was killed in a car wreck in October of 1996. His family eventually learned that the accident was caused by a driver under the influence of drugs. "..William did not have to die on the highway that night. His crash was totally preventable. He died because someone chose to take drugs and get behind the wheel of an automobile."

In Beyond Doubt: A Supernatural Journey to WAR Against Broken Hearts, Martha Rich chronicled the heartbreaking story of her son's sudden death and the mysterious encounters following. She transparently shared her struggle to understand the spiritual promptings that resulted in the creation of the DUI-prevention program that has since reached hundreds of thousands of people. Fittingly, the program was named after William's initials: W.A.R.

Rich wrote from a Christian perspective, pairing an earnest writing style with a meticulously organized timeline. Between the spiritual implications related to William's death and the program she founded to promote DUI prevention, there were a lot of details to process; she recounted them with clarity. Rich was unflinching in her efforts to prevent DUI-related deaths despite some of the skepticism she received about her spiritual experiences after William's death. One need not believe in spiritual visitations to come away enriched by her story. As a Christian myself, I was impressed by Rich’s perseverance, strength, and sincerity.

At the beginning of the book, Rich acknowledged that "some of the multi-faceted spiritual images were somewhat diminished when they were transferred from the digital files onto the printed pages." In all honesty, I was unable to detect some of the images she so passionately described. However, Rich also shared dreams, visitations, and mysterious coincidences, some involving complete strangers. While I didn't agree with a few of her conclusions, there wasn't really anything I disliked about the book. I appreciated Rich's transparent portrayal of William's background, the events following his death, and her ability to challenge my thinking.

Much of the book focused on the development of Rich's program, and there were multiple references to the website, waragainstbrokenhearts.org. However, none of the textual references linked directly to it, a simple correction that I would recommend. I've included the following quote from the website: "To assist in educating the public regarding the heartbreak of DUI, we offer Anti-DUI Victim Impact films for viewing or to download from this website. This material is FREE to use and share in hopes that a future tragedy may be prevented."

Considering the book's organized timeline, professional editing, and educative promotion of DUI prevention, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Although Rich's journey is told from a Christian perspective, her transparency and passion may appeal to readers of various faiths, possibly even nonbelievers. Additionally, I recommend the book to those who believe in angels, spiritual visitations, and life after death.

Beyond Doubt
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Thank you for your review. The sadness of losing a son and courageously moving on to help prevent similar tragedies is inspiring to say the least. I admire those that are able to move on and help others at the same time. We can all view similar situations differently, as well as see spiritual meaning in events that have helped us in some way. I am happy the author was able to heal and help others. I hope the author will take your advice and add a few text links for readers. This sounds like a good read for believers and non-believers alike. Thank you for your review.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

Sometimes people's strength surprises me. To come out of a tragedy of this magnitude, and yet find another true purpose in life is a real example of a miracle. To lose a child and yet maintain your calm nature enough to get some thing productive out of that experience is the true definition of spirituality. This was a wonderful review of what is probably going to be a really good book. Looking forward to reading this book. Thank you!!
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I'm happy to know that something productive came from her son's death. I enjoy stories about encounters with loved ones. I hope the author has been able to heel some with the reading of her novel.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I admire Rich for taking this tragedy and turning it into something to help others. That requires great strength of character. I want to know more about this organization and what it does. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ValerijaJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerijaj.html
Latest Review: Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna

Post by ValerijaJ »

This was a lovely review, but I think I'll pass. I'm not intrigued by books that are written from a Christian point of view. I think I would cringe all the way through. :techie-studyinggray:
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

ValerijaJ wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 05:35 This was a lovely review, but I think I'll pass. I'm not intrigued by books that are written from a Christian point of view. I think I would cringe all the way through. :techie-studyinggray:
I was thinking the same thing! The story sounds powerful, but I just can't get behind Christian messaging.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It is encouraging to see people channel their grief into positive avenues. I think the death of a child is something you learn to handle but never totally conquer. Her story sounds inspiring. Thanks for the recommendation.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

KDJ wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 15:00 Thank you for your review. The sadness of losing a son and courageously moving on to help prevent similar tragedies is inspiring to say the least. I admire those that are able to move on and help others at the same time. We can all view similar situations differently, as well as see spiritual meaning in events that have helped us in some way. I am happy the author was able to heal and help others. I hope the author will take your advice and add a few text links for readers. This sounds like a good read for believers and non-believers alike. Thank you for your review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sursangeet_2000 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 16:38 Sometimes people's strength surprises me. To come out of a tragedy of this magnitude, and yet find another true purpose in life is a real example of a miracle. To lose a child and yet maintain your calm nature enough to get some thing productive out of that experience is the true definition of spirituality. This was a wonderful review of what is probably going to be a really good book. Looking forward to reading this book. Thank you!!
Thank you.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Helene_2008 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:25 I'm happy to know that something productive came from her son's death. I enjoy stories about encounters with loved ones. I hope the author has been able to heel some with the reading of her novel.
Thank you, Helene.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

[bn=][/bn]
kandscreeley wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 20:37 I admire Rich for taking this tragedy and turning it into something to help others. That requires great strength of character. I want to know more about this organization and what it does. Thanks for the review.
I appreciate your comment. You may enjoy visiting the website.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

ValerijaJ wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 05:35 This was a lovely review, but I think I'll pass. I'm not intrigued by books that are written from a Christian point of view. I think I would cringe all the way through. :techie-studyinggray:
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bhaskins wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 09:57
I was thinking the same thing! The story sounds powerful, but I just can't get behind Christian messaging.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 10:21 It is encouraging to see people channel their grief into positive avenues. I think the death of a child is something you learn to handle but never totally conquer. Her story sounds inspiring. Thanks for the recommendation.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”