Official Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kazi Boku" by M. Poyhonen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kazi Boku is an interesting and an exciting fantasy novel and the first book in Crystals of Empire Series created by M. Poyhonen.

Kazi Boku and his family live in a farming community on the western frontier along the shores of the South Valen River. His family, along with their neighbors, enjoys a life of simple abundance resulting from hard work, integrity, and good work ethics. Life is, generally, good until a tragic event claims the life of one of the settlers. This unfortunate event is followed by an unprovoked attack by a group of mercenaries sent by a duplicitous man under the guise of a generous and benevolent benefactor whose ultimate objective is to dominate the world.

Told in the third-person perspective, this is an interesting and an action-filled fantasy novel with twenty-eight chapters. It is about love which includes familial, brotherly, and romantic; family, both blood-related and otherwise; and friendship, regardless of age. The plot is totally unpredictable with unexpected twists and shocking turns. Settings are meticulously described including the wilderness, the woods, and the port city. Scenes, especially those of fighting, are depicted in bloody detail. The author created well-developed and relatable characters from admirable, which includes the eternally optimistic and good-natured Tsian Zin and Kazi Boku, himself, the kind, strong, and helpful farmer; endearing, such as the adorable Kasumi Matsura and the wise and kindly Master Delmas; and deplorable like the manipulative Deborah and the deceitful Tyrus Hammersvold . The dialogues are quite fitting for each character and the ending is, understandably, cliffhanger but, somehow, hopeful.

All in all, this is an enjoyable book. The story illustrates how a simple, quiet, kind, and hard-working farmer turns into a fearless and ferocious warrior in search of justice. The book depicts not only kindness, courage, determination, and perseverance, but also duplicity, greed, and depravity. The part I like most about the book is the depiction of Kazi’s farming community early in the story. The author paints a picture of a happy and contented life characterized by simplicity and serenity, where neighbors genuinely care about one another and live side by side with honor and integrity. It is, for me, a dream life.

However, some readers may find the pacing, somehow, inconsistent: exciting and suspenseful in some parts while dragging in others. Moreover, this book is not an easy read. The explanation of the political and economic situation of the land and the characters’ varied manners of speaking may require attention. Finally, there are several errors within the entire book including misspelled words (Maori instead of Marui and cantor instead of canter), missing quotation marks ("Aye surely, Jabar replied), typo errors (Haziz served the as the groups most accomplished swordsman) and grammatical errors (Haziz' usually taciturn demeanor and It's red eyes). They detract from the overall reading experience.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is interesting, exciting, and action-filled. I recommend it to fans of fantasy novels. Some scenes of violence and gore, however, may not be suitable for young readers.

Kazi Boku
View: on Bookshelves
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Parts of this sounds interesting. The uneven pacing would bother me. I'm not sure about the bloody details either, but if the book is good enough I can overlook that. I'll consider it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I would definitely enjoy a good read about helping others in need, especially our neighbors. It is unfortunate that a lot of times we are at odds with neighbors, instead of working together and supporting each other.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 19:06 Parts of this sounds interesting. The uneven pacing would bother me. I'm not sure about the bloody details either, but if the book is good enough I can overlook that. I'll consider it. Thanks.
You're welcome. It's an interesting book, nonetheless.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Helene_2008 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:05 I would definitely enjoy a good read about helping others in need, especially our neighbors. It is unfortunate that a lot of times we are at odds with neighbors, instead of working together and supporting each other.
So true! This book shows how important it is to have good neighbors. Thank you for your comment.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It sounds like a lot of the shonen manga I used to read, especially with tge emphasis on family and community. Given the Japanese sounding names, I wonder if the author was influenced by that genre.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. Based on your review, it seems that this is a story of how the circumstances in our lives shape us into who we are. I am not sure I would enjoy this book if the pacing is not consistent.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

The title and the setting are both rather intriguing. I don't mind pacing issues as much, but it's a shame about the errors. Thanks for the review though!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Nisha Ward wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 10:29 It sounds like a lot of the shonen manga I used to read, especially with tge emphasis on family and community. Given the Japanese sounding names, I wonder if the author was influenced by that genre.
Well, that's interesting.. I wouldn't be surprised if what you think is right.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Miller56 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 11:02 Thanks for the review. Based on your review, it seems that this is a story of how the circumstances in our lives shape us into who we are. I am not sure I would enjoy this book if the pacing is not consistent.
You're welcome. Yes, the story is about how a specific boy became the way he was. The book is interesting, though, despite the inconsistent pacing. Thank you for the comment.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

rumik wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 15:40 The title and the setting are both rather intriguing. I don't mind pacing issues as much, but it's a shame about the errors. Thanks for the review though!
You're welcome! I enjoyed the book a lot.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a very interesting and unique read, (and that cover, wow!) but I'm not sure about the pacing. Thanks for this great review:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Meg98 wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 10:22 This sounds like a very interesting and unique read, (and that cover, wow!) but I'm not sure about the pacing. Thanks for this great review:)
You're welcome and thank you very much!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I loved your description of the life in Kazi before the tragedy. It would be interesting to see how circumstances can bring us to a defining moment in our lives. You have piqued my interest with this one. Thanks for the intriguing recommendation!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kdstrack wrote: 01 Oct 2019, 09:17 I loved your description of the life in Kazi before the tragedy. It would be interesting to see how circumstances can bring us to a defining moment in our lives. You have piqued my interest with this one. Thanks for the intriguing recommendation!
You're welcome! It's an interesting book. I hope you consider reading it.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”