Official Review: Hidden Pearl by J.E. Laufer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Hidden Pearl by J.E. Laufer

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hidden Pearl" by J.E. Laufer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever pretended to be someone else? Did you find it exciting and fun? For some during World War II, life depended on their ability to blend in. Hidden Pearl by J.E. Laufer is one such story of a family forced into hiding by the Nazis.

Pearl enjoys living with her large family - including her mother, father, sisters, brothers, and grandparents. Her life in Poland is rich, and, while they don't have much, they are generous with all they have. Unfortunately, the war draws nearer every day; Pearl and her family have heard of the Nazis eliminating whole neighborhoods of Jews, and those that they don't kill are forced into ghettos. One day their neighbor warns them that the troops are headed towards them. They must flee. Will they find a safe place to wait out the war? Will the family manage to stay alive and escape capture?

When I think about the Second World War, work and extermination camps like Auschwitz and Dachau come to mind. I was unaware there were Jews that hid in plain sight during that time. Therefore, this book was educational to me. The book will teach young adults while capturing their interest; it brings this true story to life in a way that children will relate to. Though that time was full of atrocities, the book isn't graphic in nature, making it suitable for a wider (and younger) audience.

Pearl and her family came to life, which kept me invested in the plot. Her family consists of eleven members in total, but the focus is on Pearl. Thus, it's not necessary to remember each and every name presented, and it's not overwhelming.

The chapters are short, and it's a quick read at only around 130 pages in a PDF format. Again, this makes it accessible to young adults and those with shorter attention spans. While the book is more of a novella, the story is complete, and it doesn't feel rushed.

The author includes pictures of the family at the end of the story, which I enjoyed. The story is based on Pearl's actual memories, and we get to put a face to the name with the included images. All the main characters are pictured here, and they weren't quite what I imagined. In addition, Laufer lets us know what happened to the family after the book concludes. It's nice to know that life did continue for them.

There were more grammatical errors than I would have liked; however, there still weren't that many. These errors were all quite minor. In fact, if you aren't looking for them, you might not even notice.

Hidden Pearl is a quick read that I recommend to all young adults in order to understand more about World War II. I'm happy to rate it 4 out of 4 stars because it's easy to fall in love with Pearl. The errors weren't numerous enough to warrant the removal of a star. I hope that everyone finds this as fascinating as I did.

Hidden Pearl
View: on Bookshelves
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This sounds like a really well-written story! I love that it's educational as well. I've always enjoyed historical fiction. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Rachel Lea wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 18:15 This sounds like a really well-written story! I love that it's educational as well. I've always enjoyed historical fiction. Thank you for your review!
It's based on a true story as well! It really is a great book for young adults or even adults. Thank you for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like war stories and this one about Pearl and her family trying to remain hidden in the face of war sounds compelling to read. Thanks for the amazing review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Wyland wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 18:40 I like war stories and this one about Pearl and her family trying to remain hidden in the face of war sounds compelling to read. Thanks for the amazing review.
It's a bit different for WWII stories. I didn't think about the Jews that hid in plain sight. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I've read a couple historical fiction books about WWII this past year and really enjoyed them. Based on your review, sounds like this one would be another good one.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like an interesting and educational read. I am interested to learn more about World War II. Thanks for this great review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

This sounds like the type of book that I would read. I am interested in learning about the Jewish people during the time of the war. Thanks for the review!
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Oh wow, such an interesting novel, with such an important message. I would really love to read this. Great review!
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I would love to read a short book that doesn't feel rushed, haha. This one reminds me of The Book Thief, which I really enjoyed. I'll try checking it out, thanks for the lovely review!
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for another insightful review! I like that the book isn't too long since historical novels are often too overloaded with details. What a nice bonus that the author included real-life photos and info about what happened to the family.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I couldn't help myself imaging the situation of the family in the war ground. It is a really interesting story. Nice review too!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

It is amazing to think that Jews did hide in plain sight during the war. Fortunately, there were people nice enough to help them. Thank you for the review.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I usually enjoy books set during the Holocaust, so I might just read this one. Pearl sounds like an absolute gem. :wink: Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Helene_2008 wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 21:09 I've read a couple historical fiction books about WWII this past year and really enjoyed them. Based on your review, sounds like this one would be another good one.
It would be. Pearl is a great character, and it's interesting to see how she survived.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”