Official Review: The Snake in the Garden

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: The Snake in the Garden

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Snake in the Garden" by Deborah Hand-Cutler, in collaboration with Brenda Sutton Turner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Snake in the Garden is a poignant and a moving historical fiction written by Deborah Hand-Cutler in collaboration with Brenda Sutton Turner.

An unfortunate circumstance forces back Queen of Disco, Regina Day, to Jefferson Springs, Arkansas, after thirty long years of being away. Her return brings back painful and horrible memories of the past that still haunt her. Even her loving husband, wonderful children, and successful career cannot dispel these memories and the guilt that goes with it.

In the warmth of the old house where she grew up and in the loving presence of her sister and other relatives, Regina feels happy, albeit, regretful of the lost times. The horrors of the past creep up on her, giving her temporary visit a bittersweet taste.

Unbeknownst to everyone, including Regina, herself, her homecoming would prompt a series of events that would lead to a shocking revelation.

Told in the third-person perspective, this is one great book with forty-two chapters and an Epilogue. It is interesting, intriguing, touching, and moving. It is one of the best books I have read so far this year. It depicts a multitude of subjects including love, family, courage, and freedom, as well as hate, bigotry, prejudice, discrimination, and racism. By alluding to a terrible and devastating event in the past early in the book, the author successfully piques the interest of the readers.

The plot is developed by alternately presenting the current events and very gradually revealing some incidents in the past through flashbacks. Though the readers may have a preconceived idea of what the story is about, given the memorable time in history, they may still be unprepared for the pain and grief the characters have endured and suffered.

Settings and scenes are carefully and vividly described in detail including the feelings and emotions of the characters that it is easy to imagine the fear, the confusion, the hate, and even the despair the characters feel over the things they could not control. Characters are well-developed and relatable. There are the admirable ones including Regina, Karen, and Sam; then there are the despicable ones like Judge Whittier and the Webers; and then there are the endearing ones including Rev. Charles Day, Sarah and Fred Martin, and Peter. The ending, though somehow inconclusive, is hopeful and satisfying.

I love this book. It is gripping and haunting. There are too many parts to like. What I consider the part I like most, however, is when Sarah Martin thinks that some white women actually would have liked to be friends with their colored counterparts but were ‘enslaved by their own society’s rules and norms’. It is painful but might actually be very true.

However, some readers may find the depiction of prejudice and violent scenes, like lynching, quite disturbing.

I like everything about this book. It is interesting and moving. It also appears professionally edited. I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to fans of historical fiction. Some violent scenes, however, may not be suitable for young readers.

The Snake in the Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

This sounds like a great book. I enjoy reading historical fiction because I like learning about historical events with the excitement of fiction added in. Prejudice and violence are unfortunately a part of our history, so I don't think I would find that part disturbing. Based on your review, this book is a must read.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I would have loved to know a little bit more about the plot. This seems like it might be a very interesting book! Great review, I love how you described all the feelings that might occur while reading the novel.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Miller56 wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 12:44 This sounds like a great book. I enjoy reading historical fiction because I like learning about historical events with the excitement of fiction added in. Prejudice and violence are unfortunately a part of our history, so I don't think I would find that part disturbing. Based on your review, this book is a must read.
A great book, indeed. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

corinaelena wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 21:57 I would have loved to know a little bit more about the plot. This seems like it might be a very interesting book! Great review, I love how you described all the feelings that might occur while reading the novel.
Thank you very much. I enjoyed reading the book as much as I enjoyed writing the review.
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

Congratulations to the author for penning such a great book that ended up scooping a four out four star rating. I am not a fan of historical fictions but this would be an interesting read for people who enjoy the genre. Many thanks for this amazing review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sheila_Jay wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 03:44 Congratulations to the author for penning such a great book that ended up scooping a four out four star rating. I am not a fan of historical fictions but this would be an interesting read for people who enjoy the genre. Many thanks for this amazing review.
Thank you very much. It is, indeed, a great book.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a very interesting read. I like that it includes all the important subjects you mentioned. Thanks for this great review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Meg98 wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 22:41 This sounds like a very interesting read. I like that it includes all the important subjects you mentioned. Thanks for this great review! Cheers:)
Thank you and you're welcome. It's a great book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”